• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 michmies

michmies

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

Has anyone seen or heard anything about a person found hanging in a park off of Hwy 50? My husband was driving to work yesterday morning on Hwy 50 and the traffic was horrible. When he came up on that park on the right hand side of the freeway (where the pedistrian overpass is) traveling downtown, just before the Mather AFB exit he could see a TON of police cars and officers standing around doing nothing. He then was able to see a person hanging from a tree. He said the person was still in the tree, he could see their feet and the rope from the tree and he/she was covered with a yellow bag. He could not tell if it was male or female, young or old or ethnic background, but it was clearly visible from the freeway.

I watched the news and looked on all of the news websites and cannot find anything about it. It is just very bone chilling to hear of this on the heels of our tragic teen incident. It seems awefully coincidental to have another incident happen in a very visible place.

Anyone hear or know anything?

#2 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

Haven't seen anything and a news website turns up nothing.

Was he african american?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#3 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

I haven't read anything in the news, but my wife told me one of her friends from work saw the same thing you describe.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#4 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Apr 3 2007, 02:01 PM) View Post
Haven't seen anything and a news website turns up nothing.

Was he african american?

**insert wild speculation here**

#5 michmies

michmies

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

He couldn't tell, all he could see were feet, the rest was covered.

The only thing I can think of why there is nothing on the news goes back to something I read in the postings about the suicide of a CHP officer. I think it said that suicides are kept out of the news in respect of family? Maybe this was a suicide? It seems kind of strange if it was to be out in such a way where everyone from the freeway could see it.

Maybe someone knows someone in the police dept. for that area that could shead some light?

It is just weird not to see anything, not even a blurb

#6 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

Suicides are rarely covered in the news. I'm pretty sure they don't want to encourage/glorify it, and out of respect for the family. If you are ever in the Bay Area and hear of a "stalled car" on the Bay Bridge or Golden Gate, a lot of times it's because someone jumped.

#7 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hey Michmies,

My husband called me yesterday morning and told me almost exactly what you reported. He mentioned there was also an ambulance present and that they were carryinig the body in a body bag. So sad.

#8 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

if it was a chp officer, and we read that a lot of them do commit suidice maybee if it was one he did it so it could be seen by some of the folks that hot his tickets

spending all your time giving tickets to folks who don't want them could lead to depression.

not like fireman who are happy folks who are always welcome

#9 jackied

jackied

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

I saw this on Monday morning. I was driving by around 7 am or so, just after it got light out. There were a bunch of cops milling about. I looked up and saw the man hanging from the tree. Others mentioned the body covered by a yellow bag, but when I drove by, he wasn't covered.

It was a man and he was DEFINITELY white, bald, at a glance looked 50sish, dressed in regular everyday clothes, pants shirt and an unzipped jacket.

This was, by far and wide the worst thing I have EVER seen in my entire life. I literally started to cry and shake once I realized what I was looking at. This messed me up for the rest of the day, I couldn't shake that image of his feet dangling above the ground. I am better now.

I am a mental health professional and I am very experienced with suicide and suicidal behaviors. In this situation I think it's safe to assume this was a suicide. I'm thinking this guy must have been awfully angry at someone or something to kill himself in such a public way. I bet he did it during the night knowing that once the sun came up, everyone on 50 would see.

It is a horrible tragedy that he couldn't/didn't ask for help. All we can do now is send thoughts of peace and love to wherever he may be now.

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

Still have not seen anything about this in the news......
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#11 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(michmies @ Apr 3 2007, 01:46 PM) View Post
Has anyone seen or heard anything about a person found hanging in a park off of Hwy 50? My husband was driving to work yesterday morning on Hwy 50 and the traffic was horrible. When he came up on that park on the right hand side of the freeway (where the pedistrian overpass is) traveling downtown, just before the Mather AFB exit he could see a TON of police cars and officers standing around doing nothing. He then was able to see a person hanging from a tree. He said the person was still in the tree, he could see their feet and the rope from the tree and he/she was covered with a yellow bag. He could not tell if it was male or female, young or old or ethnic background, but it was clearly visible from the freeway.

I watched the news and looked on all of the news websites and cannot find anything about it. It is just very bone chilling to hear of this on the heels of our tragic teen incident. It seems awefully coincidental to have another incident happen in a very visible place.

Anyone hear or know anything?

My husband saw it when he was driving by, but they had already taken the person down. He said the body wasnt fully covered up and the persons feet were sticking out of the tarp.

#12 michmies

michmies

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(nlove4ever @ Apr 6 2007, 09:48 AM) View Post
My husband saw it when he was driving by, but they had already taken the person down. He said the body wasnt fully covered up and the persons feet were sticking out of the tarp.

I would have to assume now that it was a suicide. Since they don't report on them and it has been several days, that must have been it.

A very sad situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users