Bad Accident On Blue Ravine

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

There is a very bad accident on Blue Ravine, just North of the Riley intersection.

It happened around an hour ago. I heard the sirens and got my glasses and
police scanner and when outside. I can see it from our home here on Blue Ravine.
It looks like the cars may have been coming from the Bidwell direction towards
Riley. It looks like a small black car may have hit a light pole and there was a
second vehicle involved. I heard on the scanner that someone/s may have had to
be cut out of the vehicle. They have had Blue Ravine closed off for a long time.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Traffic is still closed in that section as of 30 minutes ago. The black car looked like it was really mangled. I think it will be a miracle if the people in the black car survive. A good reminder to SLOW down because speeding will only get us there a few SECONDS faster.

There is a very bad accident on Blue Ravine, just North of the Riley intersection.

It happened around an hour ago. I heard the sirens and got my glasses and
police scanner and when outside. I can see it from our home here on Blue Ravine.
It looks like the cars may have been coming from the Bidwell direction towards
Riley. It looks like a small black car may have hit a light pole and there was a
second vehicle involved. I heard on the scanner that someone/s may have had to
be cut out of the vehicle. They have had Blue Ravine closed off for a long time.

#3 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Still closed as of about 1/2 hour ago (4:00 or so). It looked like Volunteers (Folsom Citizen Academy (CAPS) ?) were handling the traffic. Coming from Blue Ravine and Bidwell, we were diverted at Chesterfield.
Thanks to the Volunteers. Their services are invaluable in these situations, as they free up law enforcement to do what they need to do.
I hope all in the accident survived, but considering how long the intersection has been closed, it must have been pretty horrific.

#4 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Unfortunately, it was reported on the news that there was a fatality. Apparently a mini-van crossed the line and hit the black car. So sad.

#5 crossski

crossski

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

1 fatality , 3 injuries
honda van crossed double yellow and hit toyota celica

http://www.news10.ne...in-Folsom-crash

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

I could see it all from our home and it was terrible.

Wonder what the driver of the van was doing at the time.

Was he under the influence of something, texting or whatever.

No matter what it was it was a bad accident.

The road was closed for over 5 hours.

I feel for the family of the victim.

Slow down people and stay alert when driving.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 courtneyhvostal

courtneyhvostal

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Absolutely tragic news. My prayers go to the families and friends of all involved.

#8 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

At 11:55 am Sunday the Folsom Police Department responded to a major injury collision on Blue Ravine Road north of Riley Street. When officers arrived they found that a Honda Odyssey van had struck a Toyota Celica head-on. The driver of the Toyota and his two passengers, and the driver of the Honda (solo occupant) were all transported to area hospitals with serious to life threatening injuries. The driver of the Toyota later succumbed to his injuries.

Witnesses told investigators that the Honda had had difficulty maintaining a lane as it headed northbound on Blue Ravine Road passing Riley Street. As the southbound Toyota passed Crossing Way (south of East Bidwell Street), the Honda crossed the double yellow lines and struck the front drivers side of the approaching Toyota. The Toyota suffered serious intrusion damage to the drivers
side of the vehicle. The driver of the van was investigated for drug and (or) alcohol impairment as is protocol after a fatal collision. The results of that investigation are pending. The relationship between the occupants of the Toyota will not be released at this time.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

So very sad. I will keep all parties involved in my prayers. Hopefully they all recover quickly.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this. My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased and I'll keep positive thoughts for those injured.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

This link has the same information as above and two pictures. When I zoomed in to look at the black car my eyes teared up because the driver's side is so damaged it would have taken a miracle to have the driver survive. I really hope the driver of the van had a medical emergency of some sort because that will be the only human way the families of the occupants in the car could find forgiveness.

https://local.nixle..../?sub_id=654662

#12 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

This link has the same information as above and two pictures. When I zoomed in to look at the black car my eyes teared up because the driver's side is so damaged it would have taken a miracle to have the driver survive. I really hope the driver of the van had a medical emergency of some sort because that will be the only human way the families of the occupants in the car could find forgiveness.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/4835685/?sub_id=654662

Lucky there weren't more cars involved, or someone on the sidewalk where the Celica ended up, or riding in the bike lane.

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

In the comments section on this story in the Sacramento Bee, one of the posters said he was riding his bike on that road when this accident happened. He said the accident was behind him, but he got a view of the riders before the accident.

I can only imagine how much that has shaken him up. Apparently there may have been a child in the back seat of the black car. The pictures of that accident remind me of the pics Ive seen that describe high speed impact. I guess that even if both drivers were at the legal speed limit for that stretch of road (45 MPH?), that a head-on would be disastrous.

#14 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Soo Sorry to hear about this and the loss of a life and other injured. Hope those that made it through the wreck will recover...

It is a bit ironic as I was driving on that road going south just a few minutes before the accident and I was thinking that Blue Ravine is sometimes scary south of where the accident occurred and told Farley that one of these days someone is going to cross that line on the curves and smash into another car...

I am actually surprised that there are not more head ons in that stretch between Riley and Prairie City...

I sure hope it was NOT a distracted driver or otherwise impaired driver that caused this...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Soo Sorry to hear about this and the loss of a life and other injured. Hope those that made it through the wreck will recover...

It is a bit ironic as I was driving on that road going south just a few minutes before the accident and I was thinking that Blue Ravine is sometimes scary south of where the accident occurred and told Farley that one of these days someone is going to cross that line on the curves and smash into another car...

I am actually surprised that there are not more head ons in that stretch between Riley and Prairie City...

I sure hope it was NOT a distracted driver or otherwise impaired driver that caused this...

I jog up that stretch of Blue Ravine pretty often and there are already some flowers planted on that side of the street. I always wonder if it's from a previous fatality and wonder who tends to them.

Then there's always wondering once the names are released if it will be someone you know. It's all very sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users