8 replies to this topic

#1 medic238

medic238

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thinking of getting a solar system from solar city. Interested in the resale of a home with a system, Is this a issue ? Of course they say it not a issue. Would love to hear from homeowners that have a solar city system on the roof pro and con.
Thanks
Medic238

P.S. the lake is filling nicely

#2 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

I don't have any oersonal experience to share, but thought I'd pass this thread along in case you haven't yet seen it (looks like Chris is the only one who has it, and he's a fan):

http://www.tomatopag...showtopic=41927

#3 medic238

medic238

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the link. I was hoping to hear from people who have a system or work in the industry, not sales !. Has anyone bought or sold a house with a solar system in place?  Steve what is your take on this being a realtor ? solar save $$$. even with SMUD.

#4 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for the link. I was hoping to hear from people who have a system or work in the industry, not sales !. Has anyone bought or sold a house with a solar system in place?  Steve what is your take on this being a realtor ? solar save $$$. even with SMUD.

Hi medic238,

Did you read Chris' posts on page 2 of the thread? He bought a home with solar and seems pleased; he posts some about his utility bills now that he has solar, too. He didn't post about working in sales, from what I ouod see/tell. Maybe I misread.

#5 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hi medic238,

Did you read Chris' posts on page 2 of the thread? He bought a home with solar and seems pleased; he posts some about his utility bills now that he has solar, too. He didn't post about working in sales, from what I ouod see/tell. Maybe I misread.

Hey guys, yes I do have the solar that came with the house, Elliott Homes, on their 3.0 and 2.0 "Innovations" neighborhoods.  Solar City is the provider.   Yes, still about $16 a month, the minimum hook up charge from SMUD every month.  Some bills have been like $16.67 or such, have not broke $17 yet.  Of course PG&E for the gas went up now that it is colder, I think it was $70 for December....   I also keep this house warmer than I did my last house.  I usually like it around 68-70 F but if I am feeling chilly I can bump it up to 72-73 or so for a few hours.  Still no real effect on my bill and in like 2 to 3 minutes the house is warm.  Super HVAC system on this house.  Of note is that I have to winterize my AC unit as it is the swamp cooler type.  I just shut off the water to it, cut the power, drain the water reservoir in the bottom and call it good until it gets warm out again and I reverse the process.  Takes all of 15 minutes to do.   Regards

1A - 2A = -1A

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hey guys, yes I do have the solar that came with the house, Elliott Homes, on their 3.0 and 2.0 "Innovations" neighborhoods.  Solar City is the provider.   Yes, still about $16 a month, the minimum hook up charge from SMUD every month.  Some bills have been like $16.67 or such, have not broke $17 yet.  Of course PG&E for the gas went up now that it is colder, I think it was $70 for December....   I also keep this house warmer than I did my last house.  I usually like it around 68-70 F but if I am feeling chilly I can bump it up to 72-73 or so for a few hours.  Still no real effect on my bill and in like 2 to 3 minutes the house is warm.  Super HVAC system on this house.  Of note is that I have to winterize my AC unit as it is the swamp cooler type.  I just shut off the water to it, cut the power, drain the water reservoir in the bottom and call it good until it gets warm out again and I reverse the process.  Takes all of 15 minutes to do.   Regards

Chris, did you get an extra bill at the end of the year from SMUD?  I know someone that has the same set-up with Elliott and Solar City and they had the same low monthly bills as you, but they got a $300 bill at the end of the year from SMUD.

#7 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Chris, did you get an extra bill at the end of the year from SMUD?  I know someone that has the same set-up with Elliott and Solar City and they had the same low monthly bills as you, but they got a $300 bill at the end of the year from SMUD.

Could be, not sure yet as come March of 16 it will be one year.  I do see something on the bill that says "settlement" or such but can't figure it out yet, bill is different than I am used too....   I'll look for it in my bill pile and study it better and get back to you...  Give me a week or so.  I thought the deal was that they sent you a check at the end of the year for any overage of power that you produced.   Not sure, come March or April I'll have a better idea.  Regards

1A - 2A = -1A

#8 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

If your electric bill is over $100 or more a month it might be an option, but if you are like I am, spending $24 per month on Smud per month in the summer time, then think again...  Read the other thread carefully as many have listed some major pitfalls to leasing or buying solar...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#9 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

I have panels from Solar City and my bill is the mandatory $16. I haven't had them for a year either so I'm still learning. I plan to live in my house for the 20 year contract so the PPA was my method of choice and didn't cost me any out of pocket. I kept my house comfortable this summer and still made more electricity than I used so I plan to keep my house a little cooler this summer. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users