40 replies to this topic

#1 northlexer

northlexer

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

First I would like to say hello to all in Lexington Hills as this is my first post.

Recently I was at Castle Park when I noticed two male teens with pocket knives. Incase you misunderstood...I said POCKET KNIVES!!!!!!!

It scared me to death, not that they were brandishing them at me or anything its just, when you live in Lexington Hills you don't expect to see teens running carrying instruments of death. It's not like they had switchblades or anything illegal (just thought I would mention that).

So, I wanted to see if this is a re-occuring thing. I dont get out much seeing as I am often busy but has anyone witnesses any of this or other weapons being carried by Folsom teens?

#2 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

LOL. Pocket knives! That's what pocket knives are for, carrying and using when needed. I'm a long way form being a teenager but I always had a pocket knife when I was a kid. Probably from the time I was about 6. I think you're getting upset about nothing.

#3 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Aug 5 2008, 06:44 AM) View Post
LOL. Pocket knives! That's what pocket knives are for, carrying and using when needed. I'm a long way form being a teenager but I always had a pocket knife when I was a kid. Probably from the time I was about 6. I think you're getting upset about nothing.

I agree.

Don't worry...they'll graduate to guns soon enough...Give 'em time.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#4 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(northlexer @ Aug 4 2008, 11:50 PM) View Post
First I would like to say hello to all in Lexington Hills as this is my first post.

Recently I was at Castle Park when I noticed two male teens with pocket knives. Incase you misunderstood...I said POCKET KNIVES!!!!!!!

It scared me to death, not that they were brandishing them at me or anything its just, when you live in Lexington Hills you don't expect to see teens running carrying instruments of death. It's not like they had switchblades or anything illegal (just thought I would mention that).

So, I wanted to see if this is a re-occuring thing. I dont get out much seeing as I am often busy but has anyone witnesses any of this or other weapons being carried by Folsom teens?

Is this post real? Seems like it might be an attempt at satirizing Folsomites.

#5 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Well DUH, how else do you expect them to carve "I'm EMO and I matter" into the children's play structure?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#6 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

teens running carrying instruments of death. .. or other weapons being carried by Folsom teens?

HAHA that kills ME! I remember carrying a knife as a kid...like just about every boy my age. We used these "instruments of death" for things like cutting fishing line or bailing twine, or widdling sticks, heaven forbid EVEN a "game of death" we called mumblypeg! ooooh ahhhh

And yes, it did eventually elevate itself to guns! When I was 12 yrs. old I could be seen carrying a 12ga. shotgun or a .22 even! I killed numerous cans, bottles, hay bales and even a hand ful of rabbits and squirells!

I know it's hard to remember pre-Columbine life, but sometimes a pocket knife is just a pocket knife. I am much more worried about the kids that are holding them and their parents. The likeliehood that these boys don't have a father at home that would tan their arse for doing something stupid is that part that scares me. I certainly had one of those too!

#7 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Swiss Army Knife Instruments of Death! rofl.gif A little melodrama for the morning.

#8 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Great one northlexer! I am still laughing. laugh.gif
I remember having a Cub Scout pocket knife when I was a kid. I may have even taken it to school. It was my prized possession. I can still picture the raised the Cub Scout emblem on that blue pocket knife. I turned out ok... I did... didn't I? ... guys?

#9 northlexer

northlexer

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Aug 5 2008, 11:52 AM) View Post
Great one northlexer! I am still laughing. laugh.gif
I remember having a Cub Scout pocket knife when I was a kid. I may have even taken it to school. It was my prized possession. I can still picture the raised the Cub Scout emblem on that blue pocket knife. I turned out ok... I did... didn't I? ... guys?

Yes even I carried a swiss army knife as a boy but this is different. One of these teens had what could have passed as a folding sword. It was massive! I do not even understand how a young man could obtain such a large weapon.

Heres a problem nobody has mentioned yet: Boys will be boys and we all know that boys get into fist fights with each other for petty things. Does everyone remember their first physical fight? Well the difference is, our society has been teaching our kids to kill with violent movies and video games. Kids are the most violent now than they have ever been. I was listening to the news a few days ago and heard a story about a 4 year old boy threatening to shoot the other kids at the day care for taking away his pillow. Our generation would have never allowed a fist fight to escalate to a stabbing but we also would have never imagined shooting up a school either. Once again, I would not be as concerned if these kids just had little swiss army knives but these were quality fighting knives.

Has everyone seen the tables at Thorndike park? If you have not, they have been tagged with gang graffiti. Gang members are violent criminals. Their is a good chance that these are just kids mimicking gang members because our society has also glamorized gangbanging but they might be willing to take part in violent crimes just like their role-models in prison.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(northlexer @ Aug 5 2008, 01:08 PM) View Post
Yes even I carried a swiss army knife as a boy but this is different. One of these teens had what could have passed as a folding sword. It was massive! I do not even understand how a young man could obtain such a large weapon.

Heres a problem nobody has mentioned yet: Boys will be boys and we all know that boys get into fist fights with each other for petty things. Does everyone remember their first physical fight? Well the difference is, our society has been teaching our kids to kill with violent movies and video games. Kids are the most violent now than they have ever been. I was listening to the news a few days ago and heard a story about a 4 year old boy threatening to shoot the other kids at the day care for taking away his pillow. Our generation would have never allowed a fist fight to escalate to a stabbing but we also would have never imagined shooting up a school either. Once again, I would not be as concerned if these kids just had little swiss army knives but these were quality fighting knives.

Has everyone seen the tables at Thorndike park? If you have not, they have been tagged with gang graffiti. Gang members are violent criminals. Their is a good chance that these are just kids mimicking gang members because our society has also glamorized gangbanging but they might be willing to take part in violent crimes just like their role-models in prison.

Did the knives look something like this? I have one and use it camping, hiking, etc. You can get them at any Big 5. They're not switchblades, but they do have assisted opening. If they had blades any bigger than that, I'm not sure they would be legal to carry around.

http://www.knivesplu...ps-sw-ck6c.html

#11 northlexer

northlexer

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Aug 5 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post
Did the knives look something like this? I have one and use it camping, hiking, etc. You can get them at any Big 5. They're not switchblades, but they do have assisted opening. If they had blades any bigger than that, I'm not sure they would be legal to carry around.

http://www.knivesplu...ps-sw-ck6c.html

The one you are talking about (which looks like a very nice knife by the way) seems to have a blade length of 3.88 but we'll round it up to 4 inches. I GUARANTEE that this knife had a blade length of at least 5 inches, possibly more.

#12 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

kids these days!

Posted Image

#13 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

I don't think we have a "gang" problem so much as a "bored white teenager who hates suburbia" problem with the graffiti, vandalism. I highly doubt they are going to knock over a liquor store or do a drive-by anytime soon. The kid with the knife probably got a hunting knife and has killed little more than a picnic bench with it. I'm not saying that's right, but I'm saying that's what bored teenagers with nothing to do end up doing. This is not a new problem.

The other day I saw a traffic copter who caught a high school skater knocking out sprinkler heads on video at their local skate park. Stupid kid is now in juvenile hall, parents will probably pay for the damages. The kid looked no different than any other high school kid in the suburbs.

Probably just comes down to proper parenting. Violent TV, movies and video games are part of our culture, like it or not. We can shelter them from it for only so wrong; we just need to teach them what's wrong and what's right. Obviously some of these kids were never taught the importance of respecting other's property. Let's hope it catches up to these guys.

#14 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

The original post talked about "pocket knives" and then the poster started talking about something that looked like a "sword". There is a very big difference so I'm not at all sure what it is we are talking about here. Pocket knives don't have blades longer than maybe 3 1/2 inches or so. Beyond that we might be talking about hunting knives (4"-6"), then you get into Bowies and longer---but swords? wacko.gif

#15 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Aug 5 2008, 03:52 PM) View Post
The original post talked about "pocket knives" and then the poster started talking about something that looked like a "sword". There is a very big difference so I'm not at all sure what it is we are talking about here. Pocket knives don't have blades longer than maybe 3 1/2 inches or so. Beyond that we might be talking about hunting knives (4"-6"), then you get into Bowies and longer---but swords? wacko.gif

See post #4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users