• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

We could just switch to firing automatic weapons into the air like they do in the cradle of civilization.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#62 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(tsukiji @ Jun 29 2008, 12:52 PM) View Post
Hi guys,

This is not about the responsible folks on the thread. It's about irresponsible folks in the populace.

If you want to 'flame' me (pun intended) for this, fine. And I'm not saying that you guys should not light up. But if there's no check for safety and reason in fireworks sales, I just don't see the logic in charities getting all fired up for sales when all it takes is one house to burn down to eat up those profits. If a fire happens and there is property damage, will the charities help contribute to offset the damage? What is their duty? From the news interviews, it seems to prioritize paying umpires and uniforms over houses. Charities are supposed to be good for society, not make tradeoffs in one area over another.

Do you think irresponsible people will use any less fireworks if they were illegal in Sacramento County? This looks to me like just another example of taking freedoms away from safe citizens in order to feel good but has little to no effect on real safety. Drive around Folsom on the night of the 4th and you'll see lots of M80's going into the sky. They are all illegal but it doesn't seem to stop those people. You can take away as many fireworks from safe citizens as you want but I seriously doubt you'll notice any increase in safety although it may feel better.

-Robert

#63 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 30 2008, 11:25 AM) View Post
Do you think irresponsible people will use any less fireworks if they were illegal in Sacramento County? This looks to me like just another example of taking freedoms away from safe citizens in order to feel good but has little to no effect on real safety. Drive around Folsom on the night of the 4th and you'll see lots of M80's going into the sky. They are all illegal but it doesn't seem to stop those people. You can take away as many fireworks from safe citizens as you want but I seriously doubt you'll notice any increase in safety although it may feel better.

-Robert

Can't argue with your point. I would like to see local PD be aggressive in finding violators and the law provide very stiff penalties for convictions. Make it painful so that they'll think twice next year.

#64 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(tsukiji @ Jun 30 2008, 12:11 PM) View Post
Can't argue with your point. I would like to see local PD be aggressive in finding violators and the law provide very stiff penalties for convictions. Make it painful so that they'll think twice next year.

I used to live in an area of Folsom with wood shake roofs. When the police came by last year asking if I knew who was launching the M80's I didn't waste anytime pointing the guy out. Launching fire into the air isn't a good idea. However, safe-n-sane fireworks should be perfectly safe.

-robert

#65 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

Remember:

http://www.folsom.ca...a...&targetid=1

City of Folsom Provides Fireworks Reminders for a "Safe and Sane" Holiday

“Safe and Sane” fireworks will go on sale Saturday, June 28th at noon, and can be purchased at a variety of booths throughout Folsom. These legal fireworks may be purchased and discharged in the City until midnight on Friday, July 4th. They are prohibited in certain City parks and bike trails, including Kemp Park, Livermore Community Park, Hazel McFarland Park, Cohn Park, and Lembi Community Park (except paved parking areas located at 1302 Riley Street), among others. For a complete list where fireworks are prohibited within the City of Folsom, please go here .
Fireworks other than “safe and sane” fireworks (including fire crackers, bottle rockets, Roman candles, and aerial shells) are illegal. Illegal fireworks will be seized and violators of State Fireworks Law cited. The minimum fine for an illegal fireworks violation is $1000.00. More information may be found at the web site above.
The Folsom Pro Rodeo will not have an aerial fireworks show; however, there are several shows in the region. Specific locations are also listed at the web site above.

---
Go to the below website to get all the links associated and additional information...

http://www.folsom.ca...y_fireworks.asp

FIREWORKS

2008 Regional 4th of July Fireworks Displays

To help you plan your 4th of July festivities, here is a list of firework shows in and around Folsom

07/03/08 Folsom-Dan Russell Rodeo Arena
Proximate Display

07/03/08 Southgate - Countryside Park,
Meadow Haven Drive & Power Inn Road, Sacramento
Aerial Display

07/03/08 Northridge Country Club - 7600 Madison Avenue, Fair Oaks, 95628
Aerial Display

07/04/08 Folsom-Dan Russell Rodeo Arena
Proximate Display

07/04/08 Carmichael - La Sierra Community Center,
5325 Engle Road, Carmichael, 95608
Aerial Display

07/04/08 Del Paso Country Club - 3333 Marconi Ave, Sacramento, 95821
Aerial Display

07/04/08 Hagen park - 2140 Chase Drive, Rancho Cordova, 95670
Aerial Display

07/04/08 Sunrise Mall - 6041 Sunrise Mall Road, Citrus Heights, 95816
Aerial Display

07/04/08 Placer County Fairgrounds - Roseville
Aerial Display

07/04/08 Rancho Murieta - 7191 Murieta Parkway, Rancho Murieta, 95683
Aerial Display

07/05/08 Folsom-Dan Russell Rodeo Arena
Proximate Display

07/05/08 Hagen Park - 2140 Chase Drive, Rancho Cordova, 95670
Aerial Display

FIREWORKS IN THE CITY OF FOLSOM

Fireworks are regulated under the Folsom Municipal Code Chapter 9.36 ( Fireworks Ordinance ) and by the Office of the State Fire Marshal under the State Fireworks Law.

Safe and Sane Fireworks

The sale, use, and discharge of "safe and sane" fireworks are allowed in the City of Folsom from noon on June 28th through midnight on July 4th. Fireworks must be used as the manufacturer directs and under adult supervision. Fireworks must not be used in open space areas or around combustible vegetation. For a list of specific locations in the City of Folsom where all fireworks are prohibited, click on the flyer below.

Illegal Fireworks

All fireworks other than those classified by the State Fire Marshal as "safe and sane" are classified as dangerous and are illegal to possess, use, sell, or discharge in California. These fireworks will be seized and violators will be cited and fined. Examples of dangerous fireworks are firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets and aerial shells or mortars.

Alteration or modification of safe and sane firework is a violation of State Fireworks Law and may be prosecuted as a felony under Penal Code Section 12301.

The minimum fine for use or possesion of illegal fireworks in the City of Folsom is $1,000.00.

For a message about dangerous and illegal fireworks from the State Fire Marshal and CalFire, click on this link: Public Safety Announcement

FIREWORK SAFETY TIPS

Safety tips from the U.S. Fire Administration:

1. The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays put on by professionals who know how to safely handle fireworks.
2. If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area.
3. Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
4. Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
5. Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
6. Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a devise does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
7. Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If a device is not marked with the contents, direction and a warning label, do not light it.
8. Supervise children around fireworks at all times.

FIREWORK FACTS & STATISTICS

The National Fire Protection Association collects data nationwide on the use of fireworks. Their data and information can be found here: NFPA FIREWORKS

The U.S. Fire Administration also collects data on fireworks, which can be found at USFA FIREWORKS

FIREWORKS APPLICATION PROCESS

Thank you for your interest. The deadline for the preliminary application is past (March 31, 2008). You are welcome to check back in January 2009 for next year's process timelines.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#66 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

Hesitant to post this but here goes. Where are the parents for these kids?

http://cbs13.com/loc...e.2.762776.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users