2 replies to this topic

#1 TwoWheels

TwoWheels

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Does anybody have a recommendation for a glass shop in the Folsom (or Rancho) area that does auto glass and uses high quality aftermarket or OEM glass? I don't want to go with Safelite or one of the other chains that is known for cheaper glass as the car only has 1300 miles on it!

Thanks!

#2 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

Depending on your Auto insurance your glass replacement may be covered. Speak with your agent.

Personally I just had Safelite replace a windshield in my car and they did an excellent job and used OEM glass (it was covered on my policy). I wouldn't use anyone but Safelite.

Most glass comes from PPG, including OEM glass so I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap" glass. There are only so many windshield factories in the world.

#3 anniep2

anniep2

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (TwoWheels @ Jan 26 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody have a recommendation for a glass shop in the Folsom (or Rancho) area that does auto glass and uses high quality aftermarket or OEM glass? I don't want to go with Safelite or one of the other chains that is known for cheaper glass as the car only has 1300 miles on it!

Thanks!

I don't live in your area so I can't recommend a shop. I can, however give you a quick education on auto glass, as I've been in the industry for 20 yrs. 1st thing to remember is that auto manufacturers don't manufacturer their own glass. Ex: Mercedes glass is usually made by PPG. If you have a General Motors vehicle, you may have a wide range of glass, like Guardian, Vitro (Crinimex), Pilkington (formerly LOF), etc. There is precious little glass made in the states anymore. If your current (OEM) glass says the auto makers name on it, it was probably made by who ever gave them the best price on the lot for that particular year/make/model. So "cheap" glass......well there really isn't one. It's all made to government specs - or it wouldn't fit! The bend of the glass, the thickness of the glass - it's all the same. If you have a brand in mind, then simply request that brand! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users