• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

NCAA to Sacramento: ARCO Arena Must Go

SACRAMENTO, CA - The NCAA has rejected Sacramento's bid to host the men's March Madness tournament at least through 2013, and local officials have been told the city won't be considered until it replaces ARCO Arena.

"It had a pretty painful sound to it that after four successful championships we had an unsuccessful bid," said Sacramento Sports Commission Executive Director John McCasey.

McCasey said the selection committee was clear about the reason for the snub. "Basically they said (no bid will be considered) until you get your arena issues resolved. So that will be awhile," McCasey said.

// go to the below website for the rest //

http://www.news10.ne...t...389&catid=3

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

So then have the NCAA pay for it. Or better yet, the owners and businessmen who profit from having the NCAA playoffs here, have THEM pay for it.

#3 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (MikeinFolsom @ Sep 22 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So then have the NCAA pay for it. Or better yet, the owners and businessmen who profit from having the NCAA playoffs here, have THEM pay for it.

Please, ARCO is about as good as the Kings are. It is completely inadequate for every venue that is held there.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Sep 22 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please, ARCO is about as good as the Kings are. It is completely inadequate for every venue that is held there.

I've been to Arco, seen the basketball games, concerts, etc... seemed to work just fine for all events

how exactly is it completely inadequate?

and I'm sorry, it seems all this bs is just so a loser team can have a better location to lose in. Why build a new arena for such a crappy team? The Maloof's are the ones making money at Arco Arena - make those knuckleheads pay for a new arena

I'm with Mike "have the NCAA pay for it. Or better yet, the owners and businessmen who profit from having the NCAA playoffs here, have THEM pay for it."

Just imagine too - beers are now $9 each at the old arena - if they build a new arena they'll be charging $29 per beer. Who the heck can afford those crazy prices in this economy?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all against this - I just think that if the Kings were a good team, we'd have more incentive to build them a new arena.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:51 AM

Apparently you need a 100,000 seat stadium with a glass ceiling and a TV as big as the field to be taken seriously in this business.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Sep 23 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been to Arco, seen the basketball games, concerts, etc... seemed to work just fine for all events

how exactly is it completely inadequate?

and I'm sorry, it seems all this bs is just so a loser team can have a better location to lose in. Why build a new arena for such a crappy team? The Maloof's are the ones making money at Arco Arena - make those knuckleheads pay for a new arena

I'm with Mike "have the NCAA pay for it. Or better yet, the owners and businessmen who profit from having the NCAA playoffs here, have THEM pay for it."

Just imagine too - beers are now $9 each at the old arena - if they build a new arena they'll be charging $29 per beer. Who the heck can afford those crazy prices in this economy?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all against this - I just think that if the Kings were a good team, we'd have more incentive to build them a new arena.

Having watched the monster trucks inside ARCO arena and watched them on TV at other venues, I can say ARCO is completely inadequate for a good monster truck jam.

As for the concerts, disney on ice, the circus and the walking with dinosaurs shows I've attended, ARCO seems perfectly capable of supporting those events.

#7 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Sep 23 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently you need a 100,000 seat stadium with a glass ceiling and a TV as big as the field to be taken seriously in this business.

that new Dallas stadium is crazy - its like the Roman Colosseum on steroids

some stats on it:
- original estimate $650 million, ended up costing $1.2 billion
- The city of Arlington increased sales tax 0.5%, hotel tax 2%, car rental 5%
- The city of Arlington provided $933 million
- The NFL provided $150 million
- Owner Jerry Jones paid for the rest out of his lunch money for that week

its now the largest domed stadium in the world, the worlds largest column free interior, and even Stevie Wonder can see the worlds largest TV that runs from one 20 yard line to the other 20 yard line (thats one big arse tv!)

course it might all be worth it because the Cowboys are a winning team, something the Kings can't relate too

#8 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

first class cities have arenas and it was exciting many years ago when we finally got a pro team and had a chance to see the stars of basketball.

somehow the desire to keep up with a better arena has been lost and the best thing would be for the kings to pack up and find another city and let Sacramento become "sacratomato" as we were known for so many years.

big screen TV and HDTV has made it better to watch the game anyway, and the price of beer is better. If you really want the experience go over to Costco and get a hotdog to go and enjoy in your living room.

#9 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Sep 23 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that new Dallas stadium is crazy - its like the Roman Colosseum on steroids

some stats on it:
- original estimate $650 million, ended up costing $1.2 billion
- The city of Arlington increased sales tax 0.5%, hotel tax 2%, car rental 5%
- The city of Arlington provided $933 million
- The NFL provided $150 million
- Owner Jerry Jones paid for the rest out of his lunch money for that week

its now the largest domed stadium in the world, the worlds largest column free interior, and even Stevie Wonder can see the worlds largest TV that runs from one 20 yard line to the other 20 yard line (thats one big arse tv!)

course it might all be worth it because the Cowboys are a winning team, something the Kings can't relate too

Aside from the fact that they always build it bigger in Texas, the stadium is a draw to the city beyond that. I bet that people will travel to Dallas just to see this place. And if your team is playing there maybe you'd be more inclined to travel there and spend $$ in their town.

A 30 yr old cookie cutter arena like Arco is outdated and needed to be bull dozed years ago. But with no real draw for anything there it won't happen.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#10 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

Yes, it's outdated but is that what we should be spending money on as a society these days?

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#11 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Sep 23 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having watched the monster trucks inside ARCO arena and watched them on TV at other venues, I can say ARCO is completely inadequate for a good monster truck jam.

As for the concerts, disney on ice, the circus and the walking with dinosaurs shows I've attended, ARCO seems perfectly capable of supporting those events.

LOL ok, you got me there - haven't ever been to a monster truck jam... I've always wondered how they make the track fit in there.

For the basketball events it seemed great, and I've seen concerts by Van Halen, Santana, Cold Play, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a few others and they all sounded fine.

I think this baloney that Arco is inadequate is just bs being generated by the team because they THINK they need a better place to play. IMO, they need to learn how to win first before they get rewarded with a new arena

#12 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

I am amazed at how much ignorance can be packed into less than 10 posts.

I think we have met our quota for the day.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Sep 23 2009, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside from the fact that they always build it bigger in Texas, the stadium is a draw to the city beyond that. I bet that people will travel to Dallas just to see this place. And if your team is playing there maybe you'd be more inclined to travel there and spend $ in their town.

A 30 yr old cookie cutter arena like Arco is outdated and needed to be bull dozed years ago. But with no real draw for anything there it won't happen.

You are probably right about that. Of course keep in mind they also have a great team worth going to see. I can't imagine there's jack to do there though other then to go to the stadium for the game.

What exactly is out dated about Arco? I keep hearing this over and over, "its outdated, its inadequate" - give me details, be more specific, what exactly are you talking about when you say this stuff? is it the lighting? the seating?

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Sep 23 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am amazed at how much ignorance can be packed into less than 10 posts.

I think we have met our quota for the day.

yeah that was helpful (not)... how about instead of dissing us you take a minute to explain what exactly is so inadequate about the arena and why you are willing to take on a tax increase to support a less then mediocre team?

Can anyone give definitive, logical, justifiable reasons why Arco is no longer adequate - without getting all pissy because you're a huge kings fan?

#15 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Arco was outdated the moment is was opened. It was built on the cheap, and that's a well known fact. If any of you have been to Portland or another NBA city, you will quickly realize that Arco is a glorified barn.

- Have you ever tried navigating around Arco before or after an event? It's like being part of a cattle drive. There's no room.
- When I took my son to the dinosaurs live show last year, we had to walk half a mile in the pouring rain because the roof was blowing off and they closed the exits on one side to protect people from falling debris. Water was seeping through the top as well.
- there is no place to eat a meal, other than your seat, with everything on your lap.
- there's practically nothing in terms of luxury boxes
- The seats do not match the team
- we can't host quick-turn ice events because the infrastructure can't support it.
- The acoustics for concerts are terrible (though it's what gives Arco a "thunder" during loud Kings games). We rarely get big names in Sacramento anymore.

We're not talking about building the Taj Majal, we just need a proper venue for first-class events. I'm tired of driving to San Francisco for entertainment. People are too cheap to realize that there's little to do in Sacramento. People would much rather run a team out of town and then (censored) and moan because there's nothing to do around here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users