#1 sailor

sailor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:07 PM

Kings fans!!!
Be honest with yourselves...
Parade the studs of the Kings like Bibby and Peja, but do NOT accept the crap Webber exemplifies as a King. Like his buddy, J-Will, he's got to go. Trade him for someone of his presence, without his awful deameanor.

Random reasons why you should dislike Webber...

(1) Michigan/Fab 5 lameness. You know all those guys were paid. Sophomore year and out for the whole crew. C'mon. (nice timout- w/NO TIMEOUTS LEFT). So he was 18, big deal.

(2) Jammed the Warriors because Don Nelson told him what to do and the pre-madonna Webber didn't like it. Hardaway and Mullin did fine with Nellie. Why should Webber be any different.

(3) Bounced to Washington so he could party it up w/his homie, Juwan Howard. Ummm, I guess that didn't work either.

(4) Found a home in Sac and immediately complained about the "no soul food" thing. Yet, the fans still embraced him then as well as his antics come contract time, while the Maloofs offered to mow his lawn. What a joke!

(5) Raced through the town of Folsom and into Granite Bay, joy riding with his dawg-J Wil. The cops chased 'em, catch Webber while J-Wil evades the police. The whole thing ends up being THROWN OUT!!! Imagine that.

(6) Tired of him shooting that crappy elbow jumper. Go inside big man.

(7) Tired of him giving that stupid scowl on a routine dunk. So what Web!

(8) Sac bee:"Do you miss your friend J-Will?"
Webber: "J'Will is my boy. He's my dog."
Great going Web. Love the wannabe thug attitude. Too bad you grew up in a middle class/affluent society w/educated parents.

(9) Totally guilty of accepting $ at Michigan and lies under oath about it. Somehow I think he'll get off. Then the key witness dies. Unbelievable!!!

CAN YOU REALLY DENY THE ABOVE FACTS?
(10) I'll admit my faults. I'M A WARRIOR FAN smile.gif

Sailor

#2 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 08:09 PM

I'M A WARRIOR FAN

Now I see where your pent-up bitterness is coming from... Poor, hapless Warriors!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 10:43 PM

Well allow me to retort! tongue.gif

(1) Michigan/Fab 5 lameness. You know all those guys were paid. Sophomore year and out for the whole crew. C'mon. (nice timout- w/NO TIMEOUTS LEFT). So he was 18, big deal.
College recruiting has been corrupt for decades. Michigan was no different. How is this different than 17-year old LeBron James getting a brand new Hummer 2 for his bday? Chris & co. made some mistakes, because that was the norm. Believe it or not, it was standard fare for Jason Kidd, etc to get all sorts of stuff from boosters. I suggest you rent the movie "Blue Chips"... it's fiction, but largely based on what really happens in college recruiting.

(2) Jammed the Warriors because Don Nelson told him what to do and the pre-madonna Webber didn't like it. Hardaway and Mullin did fine with Nellie. Why should Webber be any different.
Turn the page already. This was 10 years ago. Just because you're bitter the Warriors traded him away doesn't make it the Kings' fault.

(3) Bounced to Washington so he could party it up w/his homie, Juwan Howard. Ummm, I guess that didn't work either.
How did he have anything to do with where he was traded to?

(4) Found a home in Sac and immediately complained about the "no soul food" thing. Yet, the fans still embraced him then as well as his antics come contract time, while the Maloofs offered to mow his lawn. What a joke!
OK, the soul food comment was totally blown out of proportion, though you do have a point. I really don't care where he eats as long as he plays well, which he does.

(5) Raced through the town of Folsom and into Granite Bay, joy riding with his dawg-J Wil. The cops chased 'em, catch Webber while J-Wil evades the police. The whole thing ends up being THROWN OUT!!! Imagine that.
He got a speeding ticket. This is not national news. This is Sacramento... rain consists of a top story around here.

(6) Tired of him shooting that crappy elbow jumper. Go inside big man.
He should go inside more, but you're starting to sound like Bill Walton. DOn't get me started with him!

(7) Tired of him giving that stupid scowl on a routine dunk. So what Web!
Every big man makes a nasty scowl on a dunk. Watch SportsCenter and you'll see!

(8) Sac bee:"Do you miss your friend J-Will?"
Webber: "J'Will is my boy. He's my dog."
Great going Web. Love the wannabe thug attitude. Too bad you grew up in a middle class/affluent society w/educated parents.
He and JW are close friends. How is this a big deal??? The two of them along w/Vlade single-handedly turned the team around and put them on the map. You gotta give them credit where it's due.

(9) Totally guilty of accepting $ at Michigan and lies under oath about it. Somehow I think he'll get off. Then the key witness dies. Unbelievable!!!
I agree he shouldn't have lied in court though our former president didn't seem to have a problem with it!

CAN YOU REALLY DENY THE ABOVE FACTS?
(10) I'll admit my faults. I'M A WARRIOR FAN
You sound angry and bitter! I used to be a Warrior fan back in the day, then they traded Chris, Mitch, Hardaway, and every player worth noting. Nellie is quite over-rated, they should have canned him instead. I gave up my ties with the Warriors the day they decided to trade Chris, and they got what's coming to them. They've been the NBA Siberia ever since!

Say what you will about CWebb, but he is the heart and soul of the team. You trade him, and it would be like replacing your father with a step-father. It just wouldn't be the same.
I value your opinion but I think you are way off... the fact that you are a Warrior fan explains a lot though. I was bitter too for a whil, but not at Chris. I was bitter at the Warriors management. It's time to turn the page... Chris is here to stay! Get used to it and be ready for a parade in late June! biggrin.gif

#4 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:01 PM

I agree with you John. The Kings are a great team. Not only becuase of their talent but also because of their unselfish playing. How often do you come across a NBA star who is willing to share the spotlight with all of his fellow teamates even if it means lowering his stats? Chris gives credit where credit is due and the Kings function as all NBA teams should, as a team not as a couple of NBA stars carrying the rest of their team on their backs! My one complaint...I would like to see more of Turkolough (correct spelling?) and Wallace! FYI, I am a Bay Area transplant and I will always root for my home teams. I love it when G.S. wins and I think they are an up and coming team. I especially like the spark Boykins adds in the second half. But if it ever came down to the two, my heart now belongs to Sacramento!!!! king.gif
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#5 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:55 PM

I used to be a Warrior fan when I lived in the Bay Area. That ended when I witnessed one of the basketball players deny a little kid an autograph saying, he doesn't "do autographs." The look on the little boy's face was crushing. It takes less than 10 seconds to write your name on a little piece of paper and make a little boy happy. The basketball player was on his way to pick up his dry cleaning and didn't look like he was in a big hurry.

The Kings do a lot for kids. They also brought Sacramentan's together to root for a team who are doing quite well in the NBA.

Let us not forget that they are also human and prone to mistakes.

"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#6 sailor

sailor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:04 PM

John and Octoberlily and others, (appreciate your responses, BUT...)

Are you kidding me? Look at all your responses. You made an excuse for this clown(Webber) for everything he has been involved with.

-Lies/perjury and you site a president.
-Reckless driving and joy riding with a known habitual marijuana addict and you say big deal and call it a speeding ticket- like they weren't under the influence- yea right. We'd be thrown in jail and have a felony pending.
-Accepting $ illegally and you say everyone was doing it. Where's the responsibility for one's own actions?!
-Octoberlily's response of being human and making mistakes...

C'mon you guys. Kids look up to his chump. I don't see Turkoglu, Christie, Divac or Peja making these irresponsible decisions. I'm a big bball fan, but I refuse to root on a guy just because he makes my team better. What kind of message are you sending by supporting a guy like this. Just because he scores 20 a night and pulls down 10 rebounds doesn't make this guy a class act. He'll expose himself even more down the road and you'll see.

Will you still tell the youth of today that it was okay for C-Web to lie to the courts, accept $ illegally; just because he helps his team win?!

ohmy.gif

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 10:53 PM

I am from Michigan, but have been in California since 1983. C-Webb is guilty of
taking money while he was playing for Michigan. He will have his trial and he should
go to prison for it. Problem is, he has money. They way things go these days are
if you have money, you walk.

I am almost sure he will walk too.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 04 March 2003 - 12:19 PM

Sailor,

I don't think I mentioned anything about Webber in my post. I was talking about the rest of the King's in general.

Webber will have his day in Court and so will those who are trying to take him down for his mistake in Michigan. Let the jury decide if he is guilty or not. I'm pretty sure you do not have personal knowledge of all the facts and evidence of this particular case.

Don't be so quick to jump on the band wagon and start villifying C. Webber without all the facts. The facts you get are from the media and there are a lot of biases in the media. If Chris Webber took money, then he will be made accountable for his mistakes.

I'm just curious to know why you are taking his mistakes personally and why you are making it a personal agenda to villify C. Web yourself.

We are very capable of making our own decisions about C. Webber.

Frankly, my family takes pride in the kings as a whole for ****what they do for kids in the community.****

"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#9 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 03:21 PM

Most of the time when someone commits a crime, if he did!!! They go to jail/prison, or
they are out on bail until they have their case come up in the courts.

In this case he has been out making millions of dollars a year and has been getting
away with what happened, or what people say happened.

I, personally, am pretty sure that not only him but the others on the team took
money, but again they will have their day in court.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#10 sailor

sailor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 06:56 PM

Octoberlily and others awaiting the court date on C-Web...

Sometimes we need to pass judgement morally and ethically on those and not await the courts for an innocent or guilty verdict. Although this is extreme in nature, I didn't need to await the jury's opinion for how I felt about O.J. I will not buy an innocent verdict in this case, no matter what is dealt. Even if found guilty, he won't see any jail time like the average citizen would. (...and don't just say, "that would go for all hi profile athletes"- because that would be making excuses[john]- and Webber needs to take responsibility for what HE did.

And yes, I applaud the Kings as well for their community efforts. But we've got to also look into the sincerity of their actions. All these community and philanthropy projects are due to the owners setting and mandating these obligations as a team/business. Based on Web's character, you know he wouldn't do these things unless it was a team rule/contract. Do you really think he'd do that low budget goofy stuff like Peja and Vlade for Folsom Nissan/Ford(whatever). Look at Webber the person in all interviews and quotes in the paper. He's a doorknob.

Camay has it right on what is going to happen in the courts.

And yes, Octoberlily, I'm making this my personal agenda against WEb. I'm a "fan" and taking your opinions and expressing mine make it interesting. Web's a chump on team of good guys. The Kings are more of a class act without him.

As I get older I want to root for the person themselves, not just the athlete. soapbox.gif

#11 enjoylife

enjoylife

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 12:39 PM

A topic that I can sink my teeth into!!! Is Chris Webber a role model? The answer is plain and simple "HECK NO!" Can he play basketball? "YES!" Is he a star? "YES!" Is he a superstar? "NO"

You don't become a superstar like Bird, Magic, Shaq, Jordan, etc. until you make it to the big dance. At the present time, Web is a star and a huge draw for the NBA and Sacramento. But, has he learned to takeover a came in the critical minutes? The answer is "NO," he is learning, but he hasn't learned to make the big shot. He's still not the go to guy in the stretch. It appears that he is learning to contain his anger and he has become a team player. He does give accolades to his fellow ballplayers and rightfully so. Without the supporting group of athletes, he is nothing. I think that is one of the main reasons he didn't leave Sacramento. He isn't Jordan, Shaq or Kobie for that matter. He isn't the big scoring dominant ballplayer who can takeover a game. He is an integral part of a ballclub.

Now, is he a roled model. No, he's an overpaid fool who is growing up in front of our lives. He was not a leader in his younger years as evidenced at Michigan and he beginning to assume the role of a leader in Sac. Did he take money in college? No question he took the money. More amazing is the star witness had a heart attack! Did he like to smoke weed with J (I wanna be black) Will and drive recklessly? That too was proven to be true as witnessed by various Sac Cty Sherriffs.

Now let's talk about some civic leaders like Kevin Johnson, Wayman Tisdale, Vlade, the Maloofs, etc. These are role models. Unfortunately, society forgets that because someone is an athlete or a movie star, doesn't mean that they have their lives together.

Finally, Chris Webber is like Barry Bonds for all those years. He had the knock of not being a finisher or performing in the big games. When Web learns to seal the deal, then they'll leave him alone.

Goes back to the old Pete Rose and OJ Simpson controversies. They were outstanding athletes and that is what they were paid to do. It is unfortunate that they too like Chris Webber are liers and it appears that Web is going to seal the deal by doing so in a court of law.

Last but not least, it is our job as parents to educate our children on what makes a true role model. Help them to choose to emulate someone for the person they are and not for their athleticism, or artistic skills.

But, you know that will never happen with kids, that is too boring!!!

I'm out...

Enjoy your week...

#12 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:52 AM

It's interesting that you say the Maloofs are role models. Did you know that they put poles at the end of some of the beds in their Vegas Hotel so that the players can bring dancers back to the room for private "pole" dances? Of course there are also mirrors on the ceilings! As far as what C Webb did in college...we all seem to be forgetting that we're talking about teenagers here, at the most young adults. Now I would hope that my sons would know better than to take money and other perks from someone when they are in college but it seems to me that we sould really be going after the adults (who should know better) who are offering them money in the first place instead of these, often misguided kids, who are away from home for the first time seeing lots of dollars being waved in front of them!!! This is nothing new folks. Us "grown ups" have been bribing high school players for years to get them to play at our colleges and a lot of parents are equally to blame. Look at LeBron's mom. What child that you know needs to have a $50,000 plus car to get to and from school? Would you take out a loan to buy your kid such an extravagant gift? What kind of ethics and morals is this kid going to grow up with? Is he guilty of taking those two shirts, yeah! But what kind of role model have the adults around him been? Seems to me we are going after the wrong party! Okay, off my soapbox.gif ! As always, this is only my opinion!

Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#13 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 12:31 PM

I think the Maloofs are role models... they are also businessmen too though. I don't even blink an eye about the poles in some rooms at the Palms. I actually think it is a smart move. Many choose Vegas as a bachelor party destination, and they are simply creating a niche at the Palms... I'm sure their logic is, if some girl is going to come dance for a bunch of guys at a bachelor party, they might as well be accomodating. They also have a world-class nightclub, deluxe rooms for NBA players (with taller beds, showers), specialty suites (MTV's "The Real World" was shot there and now they rent it out)...

However although they run a casino, the Kings are a business too for them. I think they have been especially generous to the community - they have donated thousands to local parks, and have been especially fan-friendly, something you rarely see in owners. In this aspect, I think they are role models. I met Joe Maloof right before a playoff game and he is about as friendly as you can get. He doesn't have a huge ego or anything like that, just a great guy, would let you take pictures with him, all that.

I give the Maloofs credit - they are one of the best things to have ever happened to Sacramento! smile.gif

#14 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 06:31 PM

Point well taken. I agree that the Maloofs are incredible business men and have done a lot of wonderful things for Sacramento and Kings fans in general. However, it doesn't necessarily make them role models. I honestly don't know enough about them or how they live their lives to have an opinion on their role model worthy-ness (I think I just made up a word)! I guess it is up to each individual parent to decide who is an appropriate role model for their children. cool.gif
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#15 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 08:16 PM

Sport stars are good at what they do and the fame and $$$ they bring to their communities. I enjoy watching the Kings play. To be realistic I would love my children to have intellectual role models………

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users