• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jburton85

Jburton85

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:36 PM

I live in the Central District off of Glenn Drive, and thanks to the Dam closure and the other Historical streets closure Glenn has turned into the international speedway of Folsom. I've lived here for 3 years now; traffic was fine in the beginning before all of the closures and area improvements. Now I find it is impossible to have any peace and quiet here. The new Fire Station doesn't help either. I did an average number of calls for a month and it seems that they go southbound on Glen 3 to 5 times a day. I'm all for the Fire Department, don't get me wrong. But do they have to Jake brake right in front of my house every time they take the truck out? To understand what that sounds like, just think of the sound a low altitude jet engine makes. Why is it ok to Jake brake on Glenn, but not to on Sibley coming down the hill from Intel where there houses are 50 to 100 feet from the street and ours are only 10 to 20? I can't think of any good solutions other than to have the city to heighten the walls of the homes that back to Glenn street or posting a no Jake braking sign that no one will read. That is why I am here. My Fellow "MYFOLSOMS" I love living in the Central District, I don't want to move because of the noise pollution but it is becoming unbearable, Does anyone else living near this share my pain, I would love to hear from you and also any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

#2 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:08 PM

The thought, "know what you're getting into before you buy" comes to mind.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#3 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:41 PM

I find it rather loud around here as well...We live in The Enclave development, and would keep the windows open in the summer during the night...FInally I had to stop b/c there was just too much sound ALL NIGHT LONG! I could hear construction, traffic and lots of street races. (Not always on Glenn, but I could still hear them) My house doesn't back up to Glenn, but I am across the street from the one that does, so it's close enough...I guess I have just "tuned" it out...I used to live in the airpark in Cameron Park, so nothing compares to that!

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Nov 1 2005, 04:08 PM)
The thought, "know what you're getting into before you buy" comes to mind.

View Post

Well, then the people that bought their homes 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago would have to have ESP. My heart goes out to JBurton85. It is even worse for the people on the other side of East (always thinking of you Terry) Bidwell who live on Glenn, School, Market, Wales. This used to be a quiet little neighborhood. Building sound walls is not an option. I used to like to leave my back patio door open while I make phone calls and work to hear the birdies. Because of the nonstop sirens, it sounds like we live in downtown Baghdad. I know if those sirens were coming to help me they would be the sweetest sound in the world and I don't blame the fire department. I just wish more consideration was given to the older neighborhoods when they heap all this wonderful progressive growth onto our streets.

Don't even get me started on the speed of the traffic that has increased tremendously.

#5 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Nov 2 2005, 07:00 AM)
  It is even worse for the people on the other side of East (always thinking of you Terry) Bidwell who live on Glenn, School, Market, Wales.

View Post

And I appreciate it!

#6 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:21 AM

We live next to Folsom Blvd. talk about noise!

#7 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:50 AM

A lot of people moved to Folsom because it had a small town feel to it, and they were looking to escape the congestion of the city. Instead of escaping the city, ended up they just brought it with them. You can't drive around this town anymore without ending up in a traffic jam because of some construction detour. And once the construction is done, just think of all the additional traffic visiting those new businesses. Might as well change the name of this town to San Jose East. If its quiet you seek, this ain't the place (anymore); and thats a shame.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#8 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:52 AM

I am extremely sympathetic to everyone complaining about noise.

I think many people (including planners) really overlook the impact of noise on our quality of life. All day long, we are assaulted with traffic noise, landscaping noise, construction noise... the "peaceful Sunday [or Saturday] morning" is a thing of the past, certainly in Folsom.

I remember when I was a child, waking up and hearing nothing but the birds singing outside the window. Around here, the bird songs are pretty much drowned out by human-made noise.

I believe studies have shown that constant noise raises people's stress levels appreciably.

#9 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

Our street is silent! I'll sell you my silent, silent house for 1 million dollars.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Nov 2 2005, 11:02 AM)
Our street is silent! I'll sell you my silent, silent house for 1 million dollars.

View Post

This is Folsom. Don't underprice yourself. Bet you could get double that in a few years.

#11 Justasmalltowngirl

Justasmalltowngirl

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Nov 2 2005, 08:21 AM)
We live next to Folsom Blvd. talk about noise!

View Post

Folsom Blvd has been considered a "busy street" forver hasn't it? well I know it has for at least the last 20 years

#12 Justasmalltowngirl

Justasmalltowngirl

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Silverado @ Nov 2 2005, 08:50 AM)
A lot of people moved to Folsom because it had a small town feel to it, and they were looking to escape the congestion of the city.  Instead of escaping the city, ended up they just brought it with them.  You can't drive around this town anymore without ending up in a traffic jam because of some construction detour.  And once the construction is done, just think of all the additional traffic visiting those new businesses.  Might as well change the name of this town to San Jose East.  If its quiet you seek, this ain't the place (anymore); and thats a shame.

View Post

I could NOT agree with you more - that's why all the residents of Folsom were so ticked off when everyone came from the Bay area and southern cali to "escape" the city, just as you said and all they did was bring it with them! A lot of us residents were pretty annoyed by this. And in all honesty - just flat out sad.. we can't stop the growth - it just keeps on going. I hate going anywhere when I come home. Traffic sucks now.

#13 FatCat

FatCat

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Nov 2 2005, 10:52 AM) View Post

I think many people (including planners) really overlook the impact of noise

You don't think that big $$$ have anything to do with that, do you ??? rudolph.gif

#14 AllysMama

AllysMama

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

I live off Glenn and Cobbleridge and my house backs up to Glenn Drive.....what a noise infested street that is! I had no idea how loud it was going to be when we bought that house. The nice sunny days in the backyard do not exist at my house due to this. Our windows shake and rattle everytime a truck drives down the street. I know one of these days we are going to be awakened with a big rig or some other vehicle in our backyard! And talk about street racing! There have already been 2 accidents behind my backyard due to damn kids street racing. Anyways, I remember awhile back in the Folsom Telegraph stating that they were going to stop allowing trucks on Glenn and post a "This is not a truck route" sign and that truck drivers had to find another route for their deliveries like Blue Ravine and Riley to reach their destinations. Anyone heard of this lately?

#15 karenkeever

karenkeever

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:00 PM

jburton85,

I would get a few fountains to drown out the street noise w/waterfall noise! Maybe even build a big rock waterfall (w/a pond for koi) in the corner along the brick wall. Also, I'd place a fountain on the patio right by the back door & one outside the master window. That way when the back door or master window were open in the summer, you'd hear soothing water noises. It'd turn your backyard into a beautiful retreat, add some wind chimes as well!

I think if you planted juniper type trees, hedge, etc. that are very full & bushy right along the wall it would help absorb the noise.

It'll all help for resale someday!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users