Photo
- - - - -

Amazing Wildlife In Folsom - Turkey Vultures?

Turkey Vultures

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sandrab

Sandrab

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Nature, Reading, Writing & my job(s)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Just about everyday on my commute home from work, and as I approach the Folsom Blvd exit off of 50, I see one or two of these huge birds perched up on the arched lamp posts. I'm driving so its hard to see exactly what kind of bird(s) they are, but they are definitely not hawks.

Has anyone else seen them or know what they are? The other day, there were two with their wings outstretched but they didnt look like they were getting ready to take flight...just kinda hanging out. They aren't regal looking like the hawks and look sort of unkept so they may be young birds losing their baby feathers. I tried Googleing them up and have come up with Turkey Vultures. This seems to be the closest to what they could be.

Nevertheless, I love Folsom and the wildlife. It is beautiful here and I wouldnt trade it for anything else. :sun:

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

yes, the turkey vultures, like all the other birds, are really active right now.

spring is that time of year, you know!  wink wink.

by the way, they LOVE Folsom Dam and like to soar on the thermals the concrete gives off.  If you ever get a chance to stop and check it out, watch them.  its pretty cool.

I know vultures have an icky reputation, but they shouldn't.  they are amazing harmless beautiful birds that perform an important service and are very much a part of the ecosystem.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

I've always loved seeing turkey vultures.  Where I grew up in the Bay Area, I only saw them circling or cruising above.  But here in Folsom, I've gotten to see them "up close and personal".

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

The bike paths, creeks, and lakes are crawling with wildlife.  In the last seven years I've seen otters, beaver, a fox, a kitfox, falcons, kites, hawks, cranes, mergansers, an owl, and so on.  I have not seen a living possum but my dog has been skunked.  This is in addition to the "everywhere" animals like deer, coyotes, vultures, crows, geese, gulls... I wouldn't even attempt to classify all the little songbirds.  Have not seen bears, cougars, bobcats, eagles...

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

We sure do have so much wildlife in this region.  As for opossums, we had a couple of little ones in our yard for a week last summer - so cute.  One actually made friends with our cat, and we'd come home after a night out to find them "chilling" together in the driveway.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

I saw a bobcat a month ago and I have seen eagles on Lake Natoma.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 LexMan

LexMan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

There is no lack of wildlife in Folsom! I've had up to 6 raccoons in my yard eating my grapes (and swimming in my pool). I hate raccoons! However....I chose to remove the grapes before they ripen so I can enjoy the vines as a border around my patio before the varmints crap all over my roof and yard! Just a few weeks ago, a raccoon was pressing its nose against our sliding glass door. In the 90's, I used to see about 10 rattlesnakes a year in my backyard. I've had falcons dine on smaller birds in my backyard. Howling coyotes were a nightly occurrence until a few years ago. We've had a turtle in our pool. We've had ducklings in our pool. We've had a king snake in our pool. We've had skunks walk by our sliding glass door as we watch TV. I love all it! (Except for the raccoons). By the way, this is all behind Folsom Lake College.

What I loved most was seeing a bald eagle perched on a dead tree when my wife and I walked Folsom Lake when it was extremely low....such a beautiful creature!

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

I think we saw the same eagle at the lake.  Was it the dead tree sticking up by the dredger tailings? 

#9 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

The Turkey Vultures are amazing creatures. I love watching the soar. Folsom is pretty blessed with critters, I must say.

Dawn Grove

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

This is not from Folsom, but you do have to watch this video.

For some reason the link will not stay on here. I pasted it in

but it does not show up for some reason..

I will work on it...  OK it does work, it take awhile for it to load

so wait for it...

xxx

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#11 LexMan

LexMan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think we saw the same eagle at the lake.  Was it the dead tree sticking up by the dredger tailings?

That's exactly where I saw the eagle!

#12 Sandrab

Sandrab

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

The hedgehog is adorable!

#13 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Took these today in Rancho Murieta.

Vulture%201.jpg

Vulture%202.jpg

and this one is from a few months ago.

Vulture%203.jpg

#14 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

Great pics! I love the "sun worshiping" one!

Dawn Grove

#15 Sandrab

Sandrab

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Beautiful shots!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users