Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Other Bengal/savannah Owners Here In Folsom? :)

bengal savannah cat hybrid owners folsom breeders pets kitty kitten

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ForTheLoveOfTitan

ForTheLoveOfTitan

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Are there any other Bengal/Savannah cat owners here in Folsom? What are your thoughts on the 'hybrid ban' that is currently being reviewed for California?

Attached File  1452291_382519738547603_219895231_n.jpg   57.11K   18 downloads

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Are there any other Bengal/Savannah cat owners here in Folsom? What are your thoughts on the 'hybrid ban' that is currently being reviewed for California?

1452291_382519738547603_219895231_n.jpg

Why are they proposing to ban them? My ex is on a waiting list but the adult cat hasn't yet gotten preggos.

#3 ForTheLoveOfTitan

ForTheLoveOfTitan

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Carole Baskin of "Big Cat Rescue" along with some other similar places are petitioning to ban them. They are saying these cats are a "danger to the community", lumping them in on the recent federal ban submitted for no more wild pets (lions and tigers). However, these cats are in no way wild. They are a domestic breed. Bengals are the #1 most registered cat in the WORLD, and recognized by the TICA as "The worlds favorite breed of cat".  Anyone that has a Bengal or Savannah knows everything she has said about them is a complete lie. They make amazing pets and are very content in a home environment. They are very social and loving cats. If the law is created it is possible that the 1st -4th generations will be taken from their homes and taken to a 'rescue' or euthenised. There is nothing in the petition protecting them against that happening. All others generation may be "grandfathered in with limited exceptions".

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Does anyone care to educate us about this breed? Why are they considered "wild" by some?

#5 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

So the question is :

What happens to the first,second and third generation cats?? The ones that are too feral for domestication???

Aren't there enough abandoned and dumped cats out there that are desperate for good homes w/out introducing a new breed that needs to be bred for four generations out( and I would guess "disposing" of the earlier animals that were too wild). 

I'm sorry, I love Main Coons, but I cannot support this.

Edited to add: I had never heard of these cats so I spent the last hour educating myself on them by going to several different sites, both pro and con. The general consensus is that the 4th generation is what you need to have in order for them to be domesticated.

#6 ForTheLoveOfTitan

ForTheLoveOfTitan

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Does anyone care to educate us about this breed? Why are they considered "wild" by some?

Bengals originate as a cross between an Asian Leopard Cat (ALC) and a domestic cat. It is a hybrid breed that was first recognized by the TICA in 1986. People assume because it is a hybrid, they are "wild". As I Bengal owner, my experiences strongly contradict that. I agree not everyone should own one, and anyone looking to get one should do some research. But I believe that should be the case for ANYONE getting ANY kind of pet.
ere is some good info on the Bengal breed.
http://www.tica.org/...ds/bg/intro.php

http://www.vetstreet.com/cats/bengal

And here is a video of my wild "franken-cat" as the ALDF referred to them, getting a BATH... Yes, a bath. The time when any nice cat's true colors will surface.

These cats are seriously amazing pets. 

So the question is :

What happens to the first,second and third generation cats?? The ones that are too feral for domestication???

Aren't there enough abandoned and dumped cats out there that are desperate for good homes w/out introducing a new breed that needs to be bred for four generations out( and I would guess "disposing" of the earlier animals that were too wild). 

I'm sorry, I love Main Coons, but I cannot support this.

Edited to add: I had never heard of these cats so I spent the last hour educating myself on them by going to several different sites, both pro and con. The general consensus is that the 4th generation is what you need to have in order for them to be domesticated.

The first second and third generation cats are desirable and adopted into educated homes. None of them are too feral for domestication, and the USDA classifies them all as domestic. In fact, importing of ALCs is already prohibited without a permit and many ALCs used to Bengal breeding are bred (and thrive) in domestic environments. Aside from that though, Big Cat "Rescue", also wants to outlaw the later generation cats and prohibit breeding of them as well. That has nothing to do with wild cats anymore.
There are many unwanted cats in the world, (in addition to my Bengal I have a shelter kitty and a stray I rescued) but the Bengal breed is not the one responsible for this. All pets should be spayed and neutered, and contrary to what Carole Baskin says, the shelters I have both volunteered at and visited have NO trouble adopting out any Bengals that come in. As far as the breeders go I personally have met several Bengal breeders and they have been among the most responsible and loving animal owners I know. I feel that if people had to pay more for their pets there would be less abandonment. The more money you put into something the more you think about the commitment. That's my personal opinion tho. :)

#7 ForTheLoveOfTitan

ForTheLoveOfTitan

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

This is something from Savannah Cat Rescue when I asked what happens with earlier generation cats: "We have over 11,000 people on a virtual waiting list to adopt a Savannah....Earlier generations (F1-F3) get the most attention and applicants when we have one available for adoption. Don't let anyone tell you they are unwanted and end up in a sanctuary or euthanized, its just not true."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bengal, savannah, cat, hybrid, owners, folsom, breeders, pets, kitty, kitten

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users