Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Parent Of Preschooler - How Do U Keep Them Occupied All Day?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 24 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was easier than I thought, other than making up a new youtube user account since my regular one has my real name in it, and we've had enough stalking/threatening regarding this thread.

Cruddy quality, I should have gone for a higher bitrate.

awwwwwwwwww super cute!!
<3

#77 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

I LOVE Kids these days, they're all the same. After shooting a video or taking a picture: "Can I see it?!"

Nothing like when we were kids and had to wait WEEKS for film to be developed.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#78 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Feb 24 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love to hear more details about your parent-participation experience. PM me if you'd prefer.

I don't mind answering here. The parent participation is part of Folsom Cordova Adult Education. It's $100/month and you have to work in the classroom one day per week, plus an additional day, which can be a field trip. There are also required night meetings. My school, Empire Oaks, requires about two per month. I think each school varies a little bit, but it's basically the same time commitment. Also, they are VERY strict about attendance. This has got to be a priority. The other moms and kids rely on you to do your part, so it's important to attend all night meetings in order to prep your center.

The school sounds very similar to bunny's (although, not that super-cute singing!). There's free play time, circle time, activities, snack time, outside play time. Every week there is a general theme and a number or letter for the week, and then each day has its own theme.

The parents pretty much plan the whole curriculum. The teacher runs the classroom, circle time, etc., but during the center time, that is all planned by the parents.

All in all I've been happy with the program. It is not terribly academic, but that mostly depends on what the parents plan. Personally, I am not a natural for this type of thing, so I'm not all that comfortable with my contribution. The biggest reasons why I want to switch are: I want more academics and it's pretty time consuming. Also, my husband is considering going back to school, and I just would not be able to make the night meetings.

Whew! Hopefully that answers your questions. Let me know if you have more. I also highly recommend the toddler class associated with this program. It's fabulous and it gives your priority into the preschool.

#79 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 24 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm interested in getting my 4 year old (just turned 4) into a "my gym" or "little gym" sort of thing. An hour or two once or twice a week, just to balance out his mental development with some physical.

I noted that a lot of these places go to great lengths to not mention their prices. So what the heck do they charge, is one better than another, etc?

I'd be coming down rte 50 from EDH, so something nearer to home depot than lowes would be a bit easier, especially if its only for an hour.

They are pretty much all expensive. I'd bet Tricks would be your cheapest, but not very convenient. I tried a few places when my daughter was little (under 2) and they each had their own style. For her, I liked Gymboree because it was more soothing and colorful, but I didn't like My Gym because it wasn't very warm. If I enrolled my son, he'd hate Gymboree, but probably love My Gym. They all do free trials (if they don't offer a free trial, they don't deserve your business), so try them all out and then pick which one seems to fit your son's personality. Also check out Funtastic in EDH. I've heard great things.

(I really wish I knew how to do more than one post in a thread. I hate getting my post count up! I'm already shocked to be over 1000!)

#80 Andrea V

Andrea V

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Feb 24 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(I really wish I knew how to do more than one post in a thread. I hate getting my post count up! I'm already shocked to be over 1000!)

1 more and you're 2,000! smile.gif
<3

#81 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Andrea V @ Feb 24 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shhhhh!! You'll scare her away from posting anymore! hah!
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#82 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Andrea V @ Feb 24 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's my member number. tongue.gif

#83 Andrea V

Andrea V

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Feb 24 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's my member number. tongue.gif

oh.. <--- slightly ditsy for that one! haaha! huh.gif blush.gif
<3

#84 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

Post counts are silly

Thanks for the feedback stacycam
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#85 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Feb 24 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Post counts are silly

Thanks for the feedback stacycam

heh, this from mister 13k

razzed by mister 12k

oh the irony laugh.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#86 booboo

booboo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do respect your opinions. And I have mine as well. Im sorry but it does sicken me when parents rather drop kids of with "strangers" than spend time with them. And there are endless studies that show pre-school/daycare are not benefical for the child. Please do research- I have done mine...

In your research I'm sure you came across other interesting stats, such as the majority of child homicides under the age of six are committed by family members. Overstressd, overtired and overwhelmed are the majority of motivating factors. If someone says they are overwhelmed, it's in everyone's best interest to give them the advice they willingly seek or shut up.

#87 prouddad

prouddad

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I am....a 3 year old. My wife stays at home during day while I work and I come home and take care when she leaves to work at night. Its not easy but we are happy to do it! Its a sacrafice. We dont have the prettiest car or house, we dont get to eat out as much as we would like to but its sooooo worth it. WE get to raise our own kid-not a daycare.

I 100% agree about the daycare comment. My wife and I also make arrangements so one of us can be home with our kids. And there are lots of things we go without(especially in this economy) but NO ONE will ever care for our kids (especially in the early years) like we will.

#88 sharms

sharms

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Wow, it's been 3 weeks since i checked back this website and am shocked at what the thread was woven into!

anyway, i respect everyone's way of raising their own kids. personally, i have found the public preschool that my little one is going to has not really taught her anything more than learning to socialize! She actually tells me, "school is boring, I want to stay home with you!" SO, I am contemplating taking her out of the parent-participation preschool she goes to and thinking of starting some home-schooling curriculum for preschoolers - like a beka or bob jones.

I really enjoy being with my preschooler but like nancy and others said - we sahm or
part-time sahm need a break!

I don't feel guilty about putting her in preschool but I am just surprised to learn that I can teach her more and better than anyone else - and she enjoys that more!!!

As for socializing skills, she has sunday school, neighborhood friends....perhaps charter school????? but that is a different thread I plan to start in the future!
Too much time spent on the computer takes precious time away from being with my kids! (btw, i also have an infant!)

#89 Folsom4Now

Folsom4Now

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family, reading, many other things.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

<!--quoteo(post=310437:date=Feb 22 2009, 07:49 PM:name=bunny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 22 2009, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I couldnt disagree more with your disagreement. Spending a few hours a day, a few days a week in an environment where the child is involved with taking direction from an authority figure other than their parents, interacts with the same group of children to help develop relationship/social skills and...oh...the actual learning...is enormously beneficial.

Its also very helpful in getting them acclimated to a school environment before they find themselves spending 5 days a week at kindergarten.

This has been enormously beneficial to my son, who was 3.5 when he started. Couldnt recommend it more. We're sending him back again next year for 3 or 4 days a week of preschool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, I can <i>almost</i> understand if both parents work (and still disagree) but when the parent is "available" to spend time and take care of their child there should be no need for pre-school or daycare. Its our job as parents to be the " authority" figure. There will be plenty of time interacting once they get into kindergarten. This is a crutial time in a childs life and they need to be with a parent. Cmon, Is there even a question? This is the problem with our society today, we rather "ship" our kid off to daycare than spend time with them!

I think there is a happy medium. I am a stay at home parent, my son is also 3 1/2 and he will be in preschool a couple of days a week for a few hrs. The interaction with other kids, and variety of activities will be good for him, and you couldn't convince me otherwise. I have over 22 units in Early Childhood Education, and I used to be a preschool teacher, so I have plenty of experience on the benefits of preschool. I am a dedicated parent to my children and am with them all the time, so I'm not "shipping" my child off to anyone.
"I love when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, one spirit" -Khalil Gilbran

#90 Priscilla

Priscilla

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think there is a happy medium. I am a stay at home parent, my son is also 3 1/2 and he will be in preschool a couple of days a week for a few hrs. The interaction with other kids, and variety of activities will be good for him, and you couldn't convince me otherwise. I have over 22 units in Early Childhood Education, and I used to be a preschool teacher, so I have plenty of experience on the benefits of preschool. I am a dedicated parent to my children and am with them all the time, so I'm not "shipping" my child off to anyone.

+100 AMEN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users