Photo
- - - - -

Will the Kings go all the way?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Kings go all the way? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Kings go all the way?

1. Yes (15 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 05:07 AM

Wow! I though the Kings are done without Webber but they actually won game number 4th, convincingly.

Kings defeat Mavericks 99-83

Published 10:45 p.m. PDT Sunday, May 11, 2003
Doug Christie scurried across the court to greet his wife, Jackie, whom he'd promised a victory.
"He told me, 'I love you and I told you we would do it,'" she said moments later.

Christie had 13 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists as the Sacramento Kings calmly executed their game plan and evened their second-round series 2-2 by beating the Dallas Mavericks 99-83 on Sunday night.

Christie's wife had made him a soothing seaweed bath after the Kings' double-overtime loss Saturday. He sends her love signals throughout every game.

"After the double-overtime game, I had a feeling both teams would be a little fatigued," Christie said. "I took care of myself last night. My wife made me a bath, I stretched for a while and I slept today."
These Kings showed they are good enough to win without Chris Webber.

With their best player on the bench, Christie established the energy early, and it rubbed off on his teammates. All five Sacramento starters scored in double figures and six players reached the mark in all, including Webber's replacement in the starting lineup, Hedo Turkoglu, who had 17 points.

There was no panic by the Kings, who played on consecutive nights in the playoffs for the first time in the team's history in Sacramento. The game tipped off just under 22 hours after the Mavericks' dramatic 141-137 double-overtime win in Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals.

Game 5 in the best-of-seven series is Tuesday in Dallas.

"This has the makings of a long series," Dallas guard Steve Nash said.

Vlade Divac added 16 points and nine rebounds, and the fun-loving Kings were suddenly themselves again - smiling as they walked off the court during timeouts and patting each other on the back of the head.

The Mavericks averaged 128.7 points through the first three games of the series, but they never got in sync against the Kings' pressure defense - the biggest difference in the outcome.

Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, who was averaging 27.6 points in the postseason, was held to 11, and was ejected with 2:20 left for kicking a pile of towels after being whistled for a technical.

After that, the game got heated again. Bobby Jackson and Raja Bell both were tossed with 1:14 to go after shoving each other at midcourt.

"It wasn't frustration," Bell said. "We were going for the ball and I fouled him. He didn't like the foul and shoved me. I smacked his hand off. It could have ended there, but Hedo came in and shoved me in the chest."

Michael Finley and Bell each scored 16 points to lead Dallas, but the Mavs couldn't count on the players who came through in the clutch a night earlier.

Dallas shot just 0-for-9 from 3-point range in the first half and finished 8-of-15, a night after making 19 of 42, an NBA playoff record for attempts.

Perhaps Nowitzki was feeling the effects from Saturday - he played all 58 minutes and had 25 points and 20 rebounds - and maybe Nick Van Exel was tired, too.

Nowitzki didn't score Sunday night until a free throw with 3:18 left in the first quarter, and it was his only point of the half. He started 0-for-6 from the field before making his first basket on a jumper 22 seconds into the third.

Van Exel, who scored a career playoff-high 40 Saturday night, was held scoreless through three quarters and finished with five points on 2-for-11 shooting. He had 36 in Game 2.

"When you play like I did the last two games, your expectations are high," Van Exel said. "The only way is down."

Sacramento played its second game without Webber, the Kings' leader in scoring, rebounding and assists. He probably is out for the rest of the playoffs with a knee injury.

Webber watched from the edge of his seat behind the bench. His teammates are still holding out hope he'll return this season.

The Mavs' struggles showed on their faces. On Saturday night, their shots were falling. Nowitzki was frustrated early.

In the second quarter, he saved the ball on a rebound and tipped it to Finley, but the ball bounced off Finley's head and out of bounds. Nowitzki gave a sour look. He was called for an over-the-back foul the next time down the court.

Sacramento extended its big lead to 61-43 on a three-point play by Peja Stojakovic in the third quarter. Divac also had a three-point play early in the period.

The Kings built a 46-32 lead on a layup by Stojakovic 3:21 before halftime that followed a baseline 3-pointer by Jackson, and the Kings led big the rest of the way.

The Kings shot 48.9 percent in the first half, getting 30 points in the paint and 10 in the fast break to only two for Dallas. The Mavericks managed only 16 first-half field goals on 35-percent shooting.

Sacramento still believes it can win the NBA championship.

"We have always felt confident, even after losing Chris," coach Rick Adelman said. "We have the type of people who can step up and win."

Notes: Mavs owner Mark Cuban stayed up to watch the replay of Game 3 on ESPN, going to bed around 4 a.m. Sunday. "Oh my God, you just hope they make it an ESPN Classic and show it over and over again," he said. "Anybody who thinks the game isn't as good, the shooting isn't as good and the defense isn't as good as it was in the mid-'80s, it is." ... Bell was in the starting lineup because Adrian Griffin sprained his right ankle in Game 3. ... The Kings sold out Arco Arena for the 177th straight time, the longest active streak in the league.

-- Associated Press

#47 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 07:41 PM

Game 5, Kings lost. It's tough without Webber.

#48 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 07:50 AM

Aarrrgh...If this ends up being an all Texas WCF, I am done with basketball for the season! Lakers almost pulled off a 25 point comeback. Horry got robbed on the last shot. The Kings, wow, even without Weber, they ought to be able to score more than 10(!) points in the third quarter.

#49 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 09:18 PM

Kings won!!!! 115-109 ... Great game. king.gif king.gif king.gif king.gif

#50 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 09:38 PM

Spurs win series 4-2. Bye bye Lakers.

Spurs 110, Lakers 82

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
May 16, 2003

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant left the court in tears as the three-year championship reign of the Los Angeles Lakers came to a decisive end.

``I hate this feeling, I don't ever want to feel it again,'' Bryant said Thursday night after a 110-82 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs, the last team other than Los Angeles to win an NBA title, had been ousted by the Lakers in each of the past two seasons.

``We've been put down by these guys the last couple of years,'' Tim Duncan said after getting 37 points and 16 rebounds to lead the wipeout. ``More than ending their reign, that felt a lot better -- ending their season and going on.''

Tony Parker, who turns 21 Saturday, added 27 points for the Spurs, who scored 44 of the game's final 62 points.

The Lakers were the league's best in 2000, '01 and '02 -- but they won't join the Boston Celtics as the only NBA teams to win more than three straight championships. The Celtics won eight straight from 1959-66. ..................................................................................

#51 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:26 AM

I'm actually sorry to see the Lakers go! If all was right with the world...Chris Webber would be healthy and we would meet the Lakers again in the Western Conference finals. Only this time we'd eliminate them in 5 games and go on to win the whole darn thing! If we get past Dallas tomorrow we'll have an uphill battle in San Antonio! However, if we do get past S.A. I still think we can take whatever the East has to offer, even without Webber!!!! king.gif
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#52 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 12:50 PM

We deserved it. I am afraid it was simply our time to go. Thank you to all the closet Laker fans out there! As a man who does not take joy in seeing the Kings lose, since my team is gone, I must now commit whatever rooting I have left in me to the hometown team. I hereby declare that May 15th shall now be forever known in Folsom as Official Folsom Laker Fan Day! Join me next year to celebrate our favorite team! And yes, I know my avatar is changed. Life goes on. Go ANGELS!

Don't forget: O.F.L.F. `04 Its gonna be great!

#53 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 12:51 PM

We deserved it. I am afraid it was simply our time to go. Thank you to all the closet Laker fans out there! As a man who does not take joy in seeing the Kings lose, since my team is gone, I must now commit whatever rooting I have left in me to the hometown team. I hereby declare that May 15th shall now be forever known in Folsom as Official Folsom Laker Fan Day! Join me next year to celebrate our favorite team! And yes, I know my avatar is changed. Life goes on. Go ANGELS!

Don't forget: O.F.L.F. `04 Its gonna be great!

#54 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:02 PM

I am a Kings and also Lakers' fan...

#55 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:23 PM

BOOOO! You can't be both! You can't root for our arch-rival!

Are you a Giants fan and Dodger fan too???

All I gotta say, I really enjoyed watching Kobe crying. For a split second I felt sorry for the guy... nahhh, who am I kidding, I never felt sorry for him! laughcry.gif

#56 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:10 AM

I said NO before Webber went out and I will say NO again.

If they lose, Webber can go back to Michigan and face the music.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#57 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:37 AM

I like both Kings and Lakers but I prefer Kings more, much more.

I don't prefer baseball at all. king.gif

#58 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 07:42 AM

Bye Bye for another year, KINGS!!!

Now maybe we can get some HOCKEY in the sports section !!!! boohoo.gif
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#59 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 02:29 PM

The Kings did the best and what a great performance, without Webber. Wait for next year, meanwhile it's almost football time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users