210 replies to this topic

#1 apeman

apeman

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:17 PM

Hey I'm always open for new advice on good eating establishments here in Folsom. I get out very little so want to make the most of my eating out. Any suggestions? Anything from fast food all the way up to fine dining.

Anyone ever try the fish and chips at the Big Dipper? on Natoma - sometimes those kind of places are good - sometimes not.

There is the deli that is really good on Natoma called Mama Ann's that is owned by one of our fellow Folsom residents - a neighbor of mine.

How's that new Mexican restaurant on Natoma - forget the name.

#2 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:32 PM

If you dont mind taking a suggestion from me biggrin.gif, the mexican place on Natoma, Sol Azteca, is outstanding.

#3 nolongernew

nolongernew

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 07:50 PM

Apeman

Bailies is great. Don't let the location and exterior fool you. Go inside, and you'll find a small, tastefully done dining room, and a small bar area that makes about 30 different kids of martinis. Great food (asian skirt steak is the best), excellent wine list, good prices.

The Zindandel Grille is pretty good. There's a Scott's Seafood on Greenback, and the Cliff House has adequate food, nice location.

I haven't tried Sol Azteca, and have heard mixed reviews. I walked in for a drink one evening, only to discover they don't have a bar.

Other than those, I haven't found too much to rave about.

Most other places are chains.

I'm always lookin' and a hopin'

#4 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:00 PM

So Cliff House is only "adequate" food quality? I did think the location is great because it should have a good view of the river.
It seems like lots of seniors eat there. I think I ate there once about 5 years ago, but I don't remember much about it.
Is there anything good there and what are prices like? I was thinking about going there again one day for a Sunday brunch, but if it is an overpriced tourist trap with mediocre food and service, I'll pass.

#5 nolongernew

nolongernew

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:08 PM

I've visited 3 times in the the first year I lived here, twice for meals, and once for drinks. The service was slow, each time, even when my wife and I were the only couple at a table in the bar, while there were a few singles sitting at the bar. Our waitress thought it better to hang out with them.

The place looks great, and has a nice location, but it was high priced. The food and drinks lacked in presentation, and as I said, s-l-o-w service.

I haven't been there in about a year.

#6 apeman

apeman

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:02 AM

Thanks for the tips. I agree about the Cliff House. Nice ambience but that's what you pay for apparantly and not the food or service. The Sunday brunch is good if you can drink a lot of champagne. I thinks it's 20 bucks so you have to down a few to make it worth it.

Nolonger - where is Bailes?

Cvander - thanks I like Mexican so I'll give it a shot.

#7 nolongernew

nolongernew

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 06:01 AM

They are in the little strip mall accross from Dimple records and DMV, next to the thrift store. I looked them up and found their website.

http://www.bailies.com/

#8 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:30 AM

I have to say Folsom is a little small compares to Roseville. The new mall in Roseville offers lots of choices (but then I am off the subject again darn it!!!!) biggrin.gif

My wife and I go to Roseville almost everyweek in search of good eatin places. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#9 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:37 PM

Has anyone tried Chicago Fire Pizza?
I saw a couple glowing "reviews" in the Best of Folsom poll, but after looking again I noticed they were all from new or unregistered users. It looked a little suspicious like an informercial from people with connections to the restaurant.

#10 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:51 PM

Matt, I agree. Next year, only registered users will be able to vote... they looked a little suspicious to me!!!

#11 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:12 PM

I haven't tried Sol Azteca, and have heard mixed reviews.
Most reviews I've read seem to love it (and, as you know, it just won MyFolsom.com's Best of Folsom). We've been there only once (we don't go out too often), and weren't impressed. The food was ordinary, and the service was terrible. My wife ordered a fish taco, and got shrimp (same price, but different menu item). When we pointed it out, the waitress sincerely couldn't have cared less. Not only didn't she offer to take it back, she didn't even say "sorry". Since my wife had already eaten half by the time we got the waitress' attention, we didn't make an issue of it.

We liked Cuevitas much better. The food was a bit better, and the service was genuinely super-friendly. But, you just can't tell from one experience. If your waiter or waitress is having a good/bad day, that can make such a large difference, even though they're only one element in the mix.

While I'm at it, I'll put in a plug for China House. We've been to the people's favorite, Jennie's Palace, a few times. The food was good, and the service efficient, but we found it more expensive, and not as much to our liking as China House. China House has some really inexpensive lunch specials, but even the regular menu items are very reasonably priced, with huge servings. We love veggies, and China House delivers them fresh & plentiful.

Lastly, if anyone hasn't tried Indian food, you should give it a try. We love it, and were so happy when we moved here to discover there are 2 Indian restaurants in Folsom. If you're adventurous, try the lunch buffet. You can get small quantities of everything, so you can see what you like and what you don't. The flavors are so different from any other cuisine, it's great. If you like spicy (hot) food, try Priya's buffet, it's generally spicier than Taj India's. (And, obviously, if you don't like spicy food, head to Taj India's buffet.)

#12 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 08:06 PM

Cliffhouse has the same owners as Sheepherder's and Carver's along with the same price range. We've always found the food to be pretty good. It has a great view and they do make good drinks at the bar. Desserts are excellent also.

As for China House, it was one of our favorites until we saw its health department report (yuck). The link to that report is posted elsewhere on this website.

#13 xlr8

xlr8

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:49 PM

Here's a few of the places I would recommend to friends:

1. Rice Express (E. Natoma St. & Blue Ravine/Green Valley Rd.)
2. Priya Indian Restaurant (off E. Bidwell)
3. Sutter Street Grill (in Historic Folsom)
4. Sharky's Woodfired Mexican Grill (near the Folsom Theater)
5. Willie's Burger (off E. Bidwell)

#14 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (Terry @ Jun 8 2003, 08:06 PM)
Cliffhouse has the same owners as Sheepherder's and Carver's along with the same price range. We've always found the food to be pretty good. It has a great view and they do make good drinks at the bar. Desserts are excellent also.

As for China House, it was one of our favorites until we saw its health department report (yuck). The link to that report is posted elsewhere on this website.

Wow I am surprise to hear that about China House - the health department report. I tried almost all Chinese restaurants in Folsom and I rated China House the best.

#15 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:08 AM

There is also Rogelio's Mexican. They are quite good and the place has a very nice, authentic ambiance. As for bad service at Sol Azteca, I'm surprised. Maybe they fired that waitress b/c I've never even seen a female wroking there. Who knows. Chicago fire pizza is good, but no more so than Pizzeria Classico. They both offer essentially the same Chicago style pizzas. If you ever want a terrific sandwich, venture up to Shingle Springs and go to Squeelers. Their chicken club is unbelievable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users