#31 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(stevethedad @ Dec 10 2007, 09:28 AM) View Post
It is remarkably reborn. They aren't finished, as they will add decorative fencing and a patio.

Nice place. Check it out.

I will. Maybe later. So none of the usual domestic beers, or did I misunderstand that?? cheers.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#32 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(stevethedad @ Dec 10 2007, 09:28 AM) View Post
It is remarkably reborn. They aren't finished, as they will add decorative fencing and a patio.

Nice place. Check it out.

Yeah, I was trying to figure that out.. where are they intending the patio to go?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#33 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Dec 10 2007, 09:23 AM) View Post
How could they have turned that building into something decent?? I figured they'd have to demolish that eyesore.

They gutted it and remodeled the inside. Still seems a bit odd though. You work with what you've got, I guess.

Manderes is setting up as a restaurant with a wide beer and decent wine selection - really sort of a pub - not a bar. Their food is better than bar food. They don't serve hard liquor or cocktails and they will close at 11 (I asked).
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#34 _john_doe_

_john_doe_

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

Take what "Spicy" says, throw it out the window and visit the establishment yourself.
IMO, it's the bomb. Great for Folsom. Interestingly, I'm not alone in my assessment. Many others are raving about it. Spicy however has his own views.

IMO / YMMV / SFPCBS /
What work I have done I have done because it has been play. If it had been work I shouldn't have done it. Who was it who said, "Blessed is the man who has found his work"? Whoever it was he had the right idea in his mind. Mark you, he says his work--not somebody else's work. The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all. Cursed is the man who has found some other man's work and cannot lose it. When we talk about the great workers of the world we really mean the great players of the world. The fellows who groan and sweat under the weary load of toil that they bear never can hope to do anything great. How can they when their souls are in a ferment of revolt against the employment of their hands and brains? The product of slavery, intellectual or physical, can never be great.
Mark Twain

#35 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(_john_ @ Dec 10 2007, 09:46 AM) View Post
Take what "Spicy" says, throw it out the window and visit the establishment yourself.
IMO, it's the bomb. Great for Folsom. Interestingly, I'm not alone in my assessment. Many others are raving about it. Spicy however has his own views.

IMO / YMMV / SFPCBS /

I plan to do that today

plus Spicy has noted that several reviews were based on others opinions and she never went to the place herself.

Wonder how that feels to spew made up stuff about restaurants without ever having even stepped one foot inside the establishment she's giving ratings for? might feel like Pinocchio did maybe?

seems to me to be a serious sham but hey I don't want spicey to get all offended and start posting more insults about people again... my apologies to the god like almighty spicy who can rate a place without ever having been there - it must be magic

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#36 Spicy

Spicy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Anything that is fun

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(_john_ @ Dec 10 2007, 09:46 AM) View Post

IMO / YMMV / SFPCBS /

Manderes has a very nice Ambiance: 3+ or even 4.
Food (2) & Service (-1) can be improved.
Alcoholic Lovers need a great selection of alcoholics, NOT Food/Service.

This place used to be a dump. A Great New Asset to Folsom!

Happy Holidays.
"Uh-oh....The Sushi goobers here won't be happy with you on this one!!"
ChipShot, Oct 30 2007, 08:09 AM

#37 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:11 AM) View Post
I do love a great selection of beers.

As do I....But I can't envision that building being renovated well in such a short time. We'll see....just as long as they've evicted the cockroaches. cheers.gif

#38 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Dec 10 2007, 11:26 AM) View Post
As do I....But I can't envision that building being renovated well in such a short time. We'll see....just as long as they've evicted the cockroaches. cheers.gif

Renovations can do wonders, you don't have to tear things down to make 'em good. I'm looking forward to something that's not brand-sparklin' new everywhere.

#39 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Dec 10 2007, 11:26 AM) View Post

Seriously, they did a fantastic job of renovating it. Not only is it not disgusting, it's actually really well designed. The decor does wonders for the ambiance in there.

#40 Spicy

Spicy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(Spicy @ Dec 10 2007, 10:20 AM) View Post
Manderes has a very nice Ambiance: 3+ or even 4.
Food (2) & Service (-1) can be improved.
Alcoholic Lovers need a great selection of alcoholics, NOT Food/Service.

This place used to be a dump. A Great New Asset to Folsom!

Happy Holidays.

mylo hasn't made any comment about above rating.

#41 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Spicy @ Dec 10 2007, 01:11 PM) View Post

Amazingly, I agree.. for now... although I wouldn't call service -1, but probably a 1 today.

Certainly room for improvement in the food/service areas, but I'm really withholding my judgement until later.

I try not to rate any business this early. I usually don't even go to a place until the kinks have been worked out, but I couldn't stay away from this one smile.gif

#42 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(Spicy @ Dec 10 2007, 01:11 PM) View Post

I just got back from Manderes so I will comment now

First - as usual, Spicy's ratings are not even remotely close to reality

Ambience 4+ (very well done and as a benchmark, go ahead and check out the restrooms)

Quality 4 (this is the first place in all of Folsom to have such an incredible selection of beers and the food quality was top notch, very well done). I had the Angus burger with asparagus and my son had the blt with onion rings. He's not one to comment often but he mentioned it was the best onion rings he's ever had and the blt was awesome. My burger and asparagus were equally well done. everything was just right

Service 4+ (I could not have asked for better service in my wildest dreams, it was outstanding)

my only recommendations - they need a sign out front and they need to get the word out that they are now open to get more people in there.

...and a warning for people who want to eat as cheap as possible and would prefer Budweiser and bbq wings - skip it - this place is more high brow and meant for serious connoisseurs of fine beers and foods

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#43 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

Did you sit at the bar Dave? Our service issues were around the waitress/confusion. I think it was just all too new for her to be "in the swing" of things.

#44 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Dec 10 2007, 01:22 PM) View Post
this place is more high brow and meant for serious connoisseurs of fine beers

Dang it. You mean I can't order one of these ??

[attachment=1483:schlitz.jpg]

cheers.gif

#45 Spicy

Spicy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Dec 10 2007, 01:19 PM) View Post
Amazingly, I agree.. for now... although I wouldn't call service -1, but probably a 1 today.

Certainly room for improvement in the food/service areas, but I'm really withholding my judgement until later.

I try not to rate any business this early. I usually don't even go to a place until the kinks have been worked out, but I couldn't stay away from this one smile.gif

Thank you for your HONESTY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users