• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

I have a toilet which is used infrequently (ie - guestroom). Over time, a stain ring forms around the edge of water in the bowl which is a little difficult to remove.

It seems that most preventative products (ie - Chlorox and such) are contraindicated unless you flush several times daily. Bleach and abrasives are not advised by the toilet manufacturer.

Any one have any suggestions on how to prevent / minimize this type of staining? I've heard that the Chlorox with Teflon product (no bleach) is no longer made anymore. Rain-X? Anything effective that you're using / doing? I'm looking for a solution that I can "set and forget" until we have a guest.

Thanks

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Have you tried CLR?

#3 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Have you tried CLR?

As a preventive, no; is it okay to leave it in the bowl (diluted?).

As a cleaner, no but willing to try if it's safe for the toilet. But I categorize it as one of the chemicals I use only in extreme need given its safety warning label.

But I'm really looking for a preventive for surprise, drop-in guests.

#4 jtroiano

jtroiano

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

You can use a pumice stone to remove the stain. I don't know of any way of preventing them.

#5 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

As a cleaner, no but willing to try if it's safe for the toilet. But I categorize it as one of the chemicals I use only in extreme need given its safety warning label.

I'm only guessing that this might work, but if the toilet is truly rarely ever used, try cleaning it really good. Then scoop out as much water as possible from the bowl dumping this down the sink. Then manually "flush" the toilet by pouring a couple or 3 gallons of distilled water into the bowl. I'm thinking that because distilled water should be free of any hard water minerals etc, it should leave no stains over time. It also should provide no nutrients for any fungus, mold, etc to grow with. But you will want to clean and sterilize the bowl first as best you can trying to insure no pink yuckies are alive.

If you try this, please let me know if it works.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#6 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

I need to look up pumice stone.

Distilled water -- interesting thought. Maybe I can push out as much water as I can w/ a plunger, clean and the flush/fill with distilled water. I can also put plastic wrap over the top to seal out airborne sources. Easy stuff that might work...?

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

will the pumice stone damage the surface of the porcelain? I have this blue hardwater stain too. is it the chlorine in the city water?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

My personal choice is to use a cup of bleach. This is safe in the bowl ( not in the tank like the commercial tablets as it will ruin the rubber seals).

Here are a few others I found for cleaning ---

Safe Toilet Stain Removal

If you want to preserve the beauty of your toilet, there are methods that make use of chemicals, but do not ruin the quality of the porcelain. Vinegar, bleach and borax powder are some examples.

Bleach -- If you want to use something stronger than vinegar, then use bleach. Bleach is best used when the rings and stains are already too tough. Pour half a cup of powder into the toilet bowl. Leave it that way for a few hours before you flush the bleach away. Don't forget to clean the toilet thoroughly.

Vinegar -- Vinegar is always used to remove almost all types of stains, and cleaning your toilet with it is very effective because it can deal with lime scale and hard water deposits. To use vinegar, just pour a huge amount of it into the bowl. Leave it that way for one night, and then do the cleaning in the morning. Keep flushing thoroughly to make sure that your toilet bowl is clean. (For other uses of vinegar, read 25 other uses for vinegar)

Borax Powder -- Borax powder is your friend when dealing with toilet stains. It can be easily found in hardware stores. To use this, sprinkle some powder directly onto the affected area. You will need a plastic brush for brushing off the stains. Leave it that way for at least 30 minutes, and then flush. Toilet bowls treated with borax powder turn out gleaming white.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

I don't know if it's safe to leave in. I was just thinking the ring may be more of a mineral thing than a bacteria thing, in which case leaving bleach in won't really help. What you might try is cleaning really good with CLR and then leaving vinegar in the bowl as a preventative.

Good luck:)

#10 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

will the pumice stone damage the surface of the porcelain? I have this blue hardwater stain too. is it the chlorine in the city water?

No, it won't damage it.

(one of my past employers made me pumice several toilets, so I speak with authority ! )

#11 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Just make sure the pumice stone and toilet surface are both wet and it should be okay.

#12 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Just make sure the pumice stone and toilet surface are both wet and it should be okay.

I would find it difficult to see a need for something as strong as a pumice stone for a toilet ring- even with severe hard water. Vinegar and comet will do the trick and you will not take a chance of scratching the porcelain.
'Scubbing Bubbles also make a toilet jell that will work as well per their ads.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

I would find it difficult to see a need for something as strong as a pumice stone for a toilet ring- even with severe hard water. Vinegar and comet will do the trick and you will not take a chance of scratching the porcelain.
'Scubbing Bubbles also make a toilet jell that will work as well per their ads.

I agree. I would use it as a last resort.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

i have used bleach, borax, white vinegar, clr and every form of scrubber from bon ami to bar keeps friend and it wasn't done much to get rid of the ring. i'm going for the pumice!!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

I use the bleach tablets for allmy toilets including the seldom used guest one and they work great. Drop in the tank and forget it. Every once in awhile I'll flush to "reinvirgorate" things. No stains, no damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users