4 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

Since becoming a grandparent, I've noticed a lot of changes in baby goods/products. Seems like there's a racket going on with baby products. For instance:

1. Bottles - There are quite a few different types of bottles (now called "nursing systems"). None, however, have nipples that are interchangeable with other bottles. So you have to buy the complete set of products. Made this mistake when I thought I could pick up just a few nipples of one brand (cheaper) to go on another brand of bottles. No such luck.

2. Carseats/carriers/travel systems - I preface this by saying I'm fully in favor of child safety seats. That being said, I see that a carseat is between $100 (if you're lucky) and $250.00 and up to $350.00 for a full "Travel system" that includes a stroller to place the carseat in. The problem is, an infant/toddler/child is now required to be in a safety seat until they're around 12 years old (okay, that's an exaggeration, but not by much). What they don't tell you is that you pay $150.00 for the infant "system", but once they reach 20 to 25 pounds, that "system" is obsolete, and you spend another $150 or more on the next carseat that takes them up to 40 pounds or something and then there's another "booster" seat that takes them the rest of the way. So, you could easily spend $500 for these items. And the kicker is, they become obsolete so quickly (due to increased safety requirements) that it's unlikely you could use them for a subsequent baby.

3. Formula - don't need to really address this, because grandchild is a breastfed baby, but CRIMINITLY, HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF FORMULA!!!!????? And don't babies use this for at least 6 months???? They ought to get college credit as much as this costs. AND IT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN AT THAT!

4. Disposable diapers - okay, who decided on the sizes of these? Every brand has a different weight range. And the prices? The manufacturers seemed to have determined at what age a baby starts pooping/peeing more and jacked up the price of diapers to take advantage of that increased "output".

That being said, I'm fortunate to be able to throw most of my disposable income my grandchildren's way so they're not lacking in anything.

Just hoping that by the time they get to college that the college textbook racket has been changed (and that I get to live long enough to see them go to college).

Cyber and Erika (and others who are new parents/grandparents) - let me know your experiences in this area.

#2 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

I would imagine this might get bumped to the parents forum.

Anyway, I know what you're talking about! My mom couldn't believe all the gizmos and gadgets that are at Babies R Us. Its been so long since my grandmother has even had babies around that my mom had to do the shopping for her since so much has changed.

As far as the bottles, I haven't even gotten to the point of figuring that whole thing out. I'm planning on breastfeeding so I will only need a few for when I pump. There are sooo many to choose from that I just got advice from other people and chose one brand to start with. Of course, I have so many samples from other companies that I can easily try them out too.

Car seats have come a long way! You're right about the cost of them. You forgot to mention that you not only have to buy the car seat but additional bases are helpful too. That way the father can have one and maybe one in the grandparent's car would be helpful too. There's more $$$.

Strollers have also become very expensive. We checked consumer reports to find the "perfect" one that was reasonably priced. In fact, I've looked up a lot of baby products on Consumer Reports for the baby. It has helped a lot! Now, not only do you need a stroller but a jogging stroller is important too. I must confess we will have both. blush.gif Hey, we received it as a gift and plus the front wheel unlocks so it's very maneuverable. We can take it with us to "dirtier" places and leave our other one behind.

$Formula$ My sister-in-law went through about $25 of formula a week when her baby was just a couple months old. You can do a lot with $100+ a month.

I can't complain about disposable diapers yet. I'm just glad their disposable. smile.gif

There are so many products that cater to your emotions. You want the best for your baby but you have to figure out what's needed and what's not. It's very hard to determine that when you're a first-time parent.

I think the average cost to raise a child to the age of 18 will far exceed the $250,000 soon!

#3 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

did you ever notice that kids like the box somethng came in more than the item?

i recommend you keep it simple. you'll be happier and have more money for other things like a baby sitter when you need some adult time out.

on the investment side though, do buy quality items as they stand the test of time. (i.e. good quality crib and baby furniture). our stuff has lasted three kids and still looks new.

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#4 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(Erika @ Sep 2 2005, 02:01 PM)
There are so many products that cater to your emotions.  You want the best for your baby but you have to figure out what's needed and what's not.  It's very hard to determine that when you're a first-time parent. 

Yes, I've long thought that this biz is a racket. And, Erika, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. The manufacturers are counting on a new parent's/grandparent's emotional response.

I was able to save a lot of $$ by staying away from browsing at stores like Babies R Us, not bothering with Parents Magazine (it's mostly ads, anyway), and keeping my eyes open for good, clean used items. It is not recommended that you purchase a used car seat, but purchasing a used stroller can be a big money saver. As Brett, suggested, solid baby furniture can be an investment.

So that I was not swept into emotional shopping, I tried to do my browsing and research on the internet. Then, I could go to the store with a specific shopping list, and purchase only what I needed.

And don't get me started on the formula racket!!!.....Sadly, in the U.S., statistics show that the moms who are least likely to breastfeed are those with less education and lower incomes. These babies could really benefit from the health benefits of breastfeeding, and the families could use the $ saved. Unfortunately, the formula companies often target these moms, sending them cases of formula before baby is even born. (Hospitals also send moms home with formula.) The introduction of formula and bottles during baby's first weeks often sabotages successful breastfeeding, thereby making mom a formula consumer for the next year and a half.

There is also a health risk in mixed feeding (breast milk and formula), as it disturbs the intestinal flora of the infant. Doctors are not likely to tell this to new moms.

Well, time to step off my soapbox.gif !!

And Terry, congratulations on the new grandchild!

#5 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Sep 2 2005, 02:42 PM)

And don't get me started on the formula racket!!!.....Sadly, in the U.S., statistics show that the moms who are least likely to breastfeed are those with less education and lower incomes.  These babies could really benefit from the health benefits of breastfeeding, and the families could use the $ saved.  Unfortunately, the formula companies often target these moms, sending them cases of formula before baby is even born.  (Hospitals also send moms home with formula.)  The introduction of formula and bottles during baby's first weeks often sabotages successful breastfeeding, thereby making mom a formula consumer for the next year and a half. 

There is also a health risk in mixed feeding (breast milk and formula), as it disturbs the intestinal flora of the infant.  Doctors are not likely to tell this to new moms.

Well, time to step off my  soapbox.gif !!

And Terry, congratulations on the new grandchild!

View Post

Actually, my grandchild's doc (our family doc) did explain that supplementing breast milk with formula was not a good idea exactly for the reason you state.

I breastfed my baby for a year in the 70s because it was cheap and because the smell of formula was so bad I didn't think a baby could possibly enjoy it. Breastfeeding had fallen out of favor with new moms at that time, and even docs didn't push it that much (that pendulum swings back and forth- oh, along with my breasts now!) but I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it highly for all the good reasons you hear about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users