60 replies to this topic

#31 zach5

zach5

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

And actually about that, the hookah tobacco at a hookah bar is served in the hookah so you dont see the packaging. But the packaging I have seen isnt even in english, and probally is imported thus not having the normal warnings
Come Support Me This Year For Relay For Life!
http://www.acsevents.../ca/folsom/zach

#32 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(zach5 @ Aug 11 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post

And actually about that, the hookah tobacco at a hookah bar is served in the hookah so you dont see the packaging. But the packaging I have seen isnt even in english, and probally is imported thus not having the normal warnings

It doesn't matter where it's from, non-english labels usually have an additional Surgeons General sticker stuck to them, along with the importers information.

They're probably violating the labelling law if they're selling them 'pre-packed', but may have a warning sign posted in the establishment.

This is the same reason you can't buy unpackaged cigarettes. The laws are pretty clear cut.

Again, I'd hate to see this place in violation of any laws. I think they probably have quite a market in Folsom, and getting fined or license revoked could dissapoint the consenting adults.

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#33 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(palango @ Aug 11 2006, 11:43 AM) View Post

Now out of all the point of views I have read arguments I have heard, this one has to be the most idiotic.

*******************************************************************************************

If the City of Folsom ALLOWS a Hookah bar within walking distance from a school, then the next natural progression would be to let sexual abusers and pedifiles roam free across the schools and parks. What the hell is wrong with City of Folsom.

Yes, of course, that is obviously the natural progression.

It's a special post that decries someone's opinion as the "most idiotic" only to then claim Hookah bars are the first step toward allowing "pedifiles" to roam our schools. Ha ha ha! Well done!

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:01 PM

I think it was sarcasm

#35 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Aug 11 2006, 01:42 PM) View Post

My concern is that many of the young people who use hookah think it's safe. Cigarettes come with warning labels; from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) there are no warning signs at the hookahs informing users about the dangers of the tobacco they are smoking. There is a misconception among a lot of people who use them that somehow the nicotine, arsenic and other harmful chemicals are "taken out in the water" of the pipe. Does a hookah bar have a right to exist? Sure. Should they be allowing minors to use them? No. Should they provide information that warns users about the dangers of the tobocco? I think so, but I'm not sure the laws say so... not sure why.

You are right, Resume Lady. In fact, hookah smokers take in far more nicotine than cigarette smokers. People need to be warned that what seems like an exotic social experience may hook them on nicotine for life.

I find it very hypocritical that we in California have diligently passed all kinds of laws to ensure that restaurants and workplaces are smoke-free and to try to discourage smoking (think of the whopping taxes we've put on cigarettes and the mega-$$ spent in schools on anti-smoking education)... yet some people -- perhaps in a misguided effort to seem sophisticated or cosmopolitan -- welcome hookah bars with open arms. What are we all, hayseeds desperately searching for some badge of sophistication?? It's just another way to get people hooked on nicotine... they still end up with yellow teeth and wheezing lungs.

#36 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Aug 11 2006, 02:03 PM) View Post
I find it very hypocritical that we in California have diligently passed all kinds of laws to ensure that restaurants and workplaces are smoke-free and to try to discourage smoking (think of the whopping taxes we've put on cigarettes and the mega-$$ spent in schools on anti-smoking education)... yet some people -- perhaps in a misguided effort to seem sophisticated or cosmopolitan -- welcome hookah bars with open arms. What are we all, hayseeds desperately searching for some badge of sophistication?? It's just another way to get people hooked on nicotine... they still end up with yellow teeth and wheezing lungs.

I don't think it's hypocrtical at all. You use "we" in the majority sense, then say "some people" as the minority. You acuse them of being misguided, when they've been against the bans and taxes all along.

I'm going to pull out my bishmasterb card and say "get government out of it". Leave it to consenting adults. Enforce the laws against sale to minors, and I have no problem with people smoking themselves to death!

#37 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 11 2006, 02:01 PM) View Post

I think it was sarcasm

I don't

#38 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Aug 11 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post
I don't

Yes, but I'm right

#39 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 11 2006, 02:09 PM) View Post

I don't think it's hypocrtical at all. You use "we" in the majority sense, then say "some people" as the minority. You acuse them of being misguided, when they've been against the bans and taxes all along.

Well, I wonder. These days, it tends to be educated, middle and upper class people who have the lowest rates of smoking and are most opposed to smoking. Smoking is much more prevalent among less-educated people and lower socioeconomic groups. --So who is in favor of a hookah bar in Folsom? Would these same people be as thrilled if someone opened up a "Cigarette Bar" (across from the high school, no less) where one could sit and smoke as many cigarettes as one wished, soaking up the smelly, lung-searing haze?

Some people would no doubt be okay with either one -- like Bish.

But I think there's a lot of people who would oppose a "Cigarette Bar," but who give "hookah" a free pass out of some sense of political correctness or "diversity."

#40 zach5

zach5

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Aug 11 2006, 02:53 PM) View Post

But I think there's a lot of people who would oppose a "Cigarette Bar," but who give "hookah" a free pass out of some sense of political correctness or "diversity."

Well I certainly oppose one in Folsom. And the reason for that is(for as much as everyone feels that I may be wrong for saying this) but growing up around here, when my friends and peers speak a hookah bar, the main reason is because it is fairly well known to be able to go there because most of them do not card.

Come Support Me This Year For Relay For Life!
http://www.acsevents.../ca/folsom/zach

#41 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

Forgive me, but bordercollie fan and resume lady you sure are insistent on making everyone think like you.

I'm sick and tired of people insisting that the government needs to step in to ensure that people dont hurt themselves but disguise it as progressive thinking. Give me a break. Why is it always the ones who proclaim "tolerance" who are the least tolerant toward ideals that don't fit within their agenda?

As for the "smokers are of low socio-economic/education backrounds" well that may be true for ciggarettes, but hand rolled cigars are 10 bucks a piece and I doubt low income folks are rushing out to buy them. Why the hell can't there be a nice martini bar with a great outdoor smoking area? Why cant there be a hookah bar? Why are consumers forced to suffer because of the ideals of people who remain unafected by such an establishment?

True diversity and "tolderance" would include accepting that some people choose to do things differently from you. People do dumb and dangerous things all the time. if they want to smoke, let them. if you're worried about the effect it might have on kids, I'd suggest their parents be put on the hot seat.

We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#42 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(jafount @ Aug 11 2006, 10:12 PM) View Post

I'm sick and tired of people insisting that the government needs to step in to ensure that people dont hurt themselves but disguise it as progressive thinking. Give me a break. Why is it always the ones who proclaim "tolerance" who are the least tolerant toward ideals that don't fit within their agenda?

I might be a little more "tolerant" if smokers agreed to pay all their own health care costs associated with smoking. --Maybe before someone can start smoking, we should require them to post a $200k bond to cover the cost of all that future cancer treatment.

I'd also feel better about it if I knew that smokers were free to quit whenever they wanted. Unfortunately, most smokers are addicted. 70% of smokers would like to quit, but are unable to do so. (Last time we discussed this issue, I posted a link to this research).

#43 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Aug 11 2006, 10:21 PM) View Post

I might be a little more "tolerant" if smokers agreed to pay all their own health care costs associated with smoking. --Maybe before someone can start smoking, we should require them to post a $200k bond to cover the cost of all that future cancer treatment.

Isn't that called medical insurance? You're right though, a lot of people do stupid things and the people end up paying for it. While we're at it, let's shut down medicare, welfare, social security, and all other programs that benefit people who can't pay for themselves.

I'd also feel better about it if I knew that smokers were free to quit whenever they wanted. Unfortunately, most smokers are addicted. 70% of smokers would like to quit, but are unable to do so. (Last time we discussed this issue, I posted a link to this research).

Probably true, but so what? The big label says "you will get addicted and probably die". I don't think that's really a secret anymore. If consenting adults want that, sobeit.

#44 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:46 PM

OK. How much bond do people who drink need to post? How about surfers who could get attacked by sharks? Homeless people who die from exposure to the elements? Sky divers? How about people who take showers? There are plenty of studies that show that a large percentage of accidents occur in the bathroom.

I get what you are saying, but do people really need to change what they do so that you feel better about it? That's what you're saying here. You're right. Cigarette smokers are unable to quit due to addiction. I wonder if this has anything to do with all of the unnatural things the cigarette companies put into cigarettes to make them more addictive?

I guess my question is, will YOU go into the Hookah bar? If not, then what difference does it make to you if it exists? I mean you probably don't go into strip clubs or fishing wharehouses or gun shops either, so I wonder when the personal agenda starts to reach out to those businesses because you disagree with them? Your most valuable voice as a consumer is to not patronize a business. Let your wallet do the voting.

We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#45 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

I hate fishing warehouses. Shut 'em down!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users