52 replies to this topic

#46 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I posted this on another thread becuase I couldn' tfind this one in the search...PG&E customers - check it out...

http://www.sfgate.co.../BUJI1A658S.DTL

#47 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

Smart meters.....interesting. I heard they are going to install them in Folsom too.

I think the kind of home you have has a lot to do with how much energy it takes to cool/heat it.

We live in an energy efficient home approved by SMUD guidelines. Our outside walls are filled with the sort of stuff that is put into thermoses. The walls are cement on the outside and our home stays cool because of that and because of the trees we planted early on, when we bought the house.

High ceilings? Yes, we have them and our house is two story...around 1750 sq. feet. Our SMUD bill doesn't go beyond $200. in the summer months. WE have all electric except for he water heater and gas house heater. Where we lived before, in a home that was supplied electricity from PG&E, we've saved thousands of dollars over the years by having SMUD now supply it.

PG&E has been known to rip it's customers off. I don't know why they can supply some areas, and SMUD supply others. It certainly would be nice if the home owner had a choice in the matter. But they would probably choose SMUD over PG&E every time.

SMUD is a public utility while PG&E is privately owned. That might have something to do with why PG&E can charge more.

#48 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Oct 21 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smart meters.....interesting. I heard they are going to install them in Folsom too.

I think the kind of home you have has a lot to do with how much energy it takes to cool/heat it.

We live in an energy efficient home approved by SMUD guidelines. Our outside walls are filled with the sort of stuff that is put into thermoses. The walls are cement on the outside and our home stays cool because of that and because of the trees we planted early on, when we bought the house.

High ceilings? Yes, we have them and our house is two story...around 1750 sq. feet. Our SMUD bill doesn't go beyond $200. in the summer months. WE have all electric except for he water heater and gas house heater. Where we lived before, in a home that was supplied electricity from PG&E, we've saved thousands of dollars over the years by having SMUD now supply it.

PG&E has been known to rip it's customers off. I don't know why they can supply some areas, and SMUD supply others. It certainly would be nice if the home owner had a choice in the matter. But they would probably choose SMUD over PG&E every time.

SMUD is a public utility while PG&E is privately owned. That might have something to do with why PG&E can charge more.

I've had the smart meter for over a year now.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#49 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Oct 21 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had the smart meter for over a year now.

Me too - for gas only as I'm in Folsom. In winter it shot up to $60 (from $8) which seems high considering I keep the thermostat at 65 degrees....and only in the evenings - never all day or all night.
I just switched our wood fireplace to gas logs - I wonder if that will make any difference in my gas bill...

#50 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Thinkingoutloud @ Oct 21 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too - for gas only as I'm in Folsom. In winter it shot up to $60 (from $8) which seems high considering I keep the thermostat at 65 degrees....and only in the evenings - never all day or all night.
I just switched our wood fireplace to gas logs - I wonder if that will make any difference in my gas bill...

Nope, you should have saved your money. Hubby put in a gas log and our PG&E bill went through the roof. We just sit and look longingly at it now.

It's not even worth lighting for a romantic atmosphere, it costs so much. sad.gif

#51 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Oct 21 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, you should have saved your money. Hubby put in a gas log and our PG&E bill went through the roof. We just sit and look longingly at it now.

It's not even worth lighting for a romantic atmosphere, it costs so much. sad.gif

Shoot... weirdsmiley.gif

#52 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Thinkingoutloud @ Oct 21 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoot... weirdsmiley.gif

Do you still have the box it came in...can you return it and get your money back?

Sorry for my bad news....you can try it and see if your gas bill goes way up to. But our experience with the fire places they make now, is that most the heat goes up the chimney and the gas logs, while nice to have for atmosphere, are very expensive to run.

Even pellet stoves that were so popular back about 15 years ago, cost too much to run.

Buy some long underwear....and heavy socks... sad.gif

#53 555

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Another BS and anti-Serrano post from Palango.

More foreclosures in 95630 than 95762 in 2009 (so far). Same for pre-foreclosures now.

Doesn't really matter. Times are tough all over. This thread was about power bills.

QUOTE (palango @ Oct 21 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I would love to see the 2009 raw #'s because last year Serrano EDH had more foreclosures than other non gated areas of EDH. In fact, there were more foreclosures in the 95762 zip than the 95630 zip code.
Furthermore, homes in Serrano thst were going for 1 million + were now being LISTED for 699 and sold in the low 500's. This could be true for "luxury" homes anywhere, BUT the absolute MYTH that gated communities are just immuned to home depreciation is the biggest bunch of BS. One thing that is very interesting is that how these HOA dues (or NON payment of dues) are affecting the HOA general fund and the HOA premiums. I mean, if you have a homeowner that has stopped paying mortgage on his/her property and has stopped paying the HOA dues, the banks typically take about one year to foreclose on that property. The HOA can send "threatning" letters, but those are just letters. Once thw bank takes hold of the property, they may or may NOT pay all the back HOA dues. They will pay the taxes because thats the guvment, but they can scew the HOA's.

One final thought. The about to be foreclosed homeowner can also really screw with the HOA by leaving the trash and parking the cars (God forbid) in front of their house. What are they going to do????

Again, most folks are under this illusion that the HOA has any power, but theie so called powers are severely overstated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users