Photo
- - - - -

Do You Let Your Kids Keep All Of The Candy The Collect?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

People who take their kids' candy, shouldn't let them trick or treat at all.

What kind of parent does this? I guess sadists. 

If you didn't want your kid to get candy, why did you even let them go?

Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#17 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

My mother metered out the candy in the name of health and may have filched some but never denied it to us or made us give it away.  I figure I'd do the same.  The true spirit of Christmas is giving, etc but Halloween is the one opportunity a kid gets to be selfish.  What would be the point of going trick or treating in the first place if your parents are just going to confiscate your take in the name of moral rectitude?  The dentists can go to hell.  The food bank needs your money more than candy.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#18 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Every parent has the right to decide how to parent, including decisions related to nutrition and sweets. Allowing our children to eat candy on Halloween and then choose enough pieces to last a month didn't make us sadists (wow, really?), helicopter parents (do you even know what helicopter parenting is?), or thiefs (we didn't "steal" their candy -- the kids were pleased to have the money we gave them to buy something).

It's a shame we can't have a discussion about something as simple as parenting choices re: Halloween candy without throwing negative labels at one another. 

The food bank needs your money more than candy.

Well, of course they do. This isn't an either/or. You can donate much needed food items or cash as well as treats.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#19 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Take 70% of your kids candy to work and feed your co-workers, they'll love you for it!

#20 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

We always regulate his intake of sweets and pagan rituals are no exception. So he technically keeps it all, but it's not like he gets to sit down and eat however much he wants whenever he wants. We always have a sweets jar in the kitchen (like an old fashion cookie jar) for the occasional treat and all candy, including Easter treats and goodie bags from parties, go in there. But before his haul goes in the jar, he pays his "fair share" since I had to walk around the neighborhood with him and carry half his costume that was cool to try on but too much to carry when walking around.  I also had to redistribute some to his Mom and younger brother since they had to stay home and couldn't get their own. After that, it goes into the community candy jar where he can have some on occasion.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#21 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

We always regulate his intake of sweets and pagan rituals are no exception. So he technically keeps it all, but it's not like he gets to sit down and eat however much he wants whenever he wants. We always have a sweets jar in the kitchen (like an old fashion cookie jar) for the occasional treat and all candy, including Easter treats and goodie bags from parties, go in there. But before his haul goes in the jar, he pays his "fair share" since I had to walk around the neighborhood with him and carry half his costume that was cool to try on but too much to carry when walking around.  I also had to redistribute some to his Mom and younger brother since they had to stay home and couldn't get their own. After that, it goes into the community candy jar where he can have some on occasion.

I never thought of it that way but it makes good sense. My kids are usually more than happy to share. I don't eat candy but if I ever asked I know they would share, even the four year old (who thinks it is funny to feed me popcorn). I like the idea of asking the child to contribute to the family by sharing some of the candy and rewarding the parent. It could actually be a way to empower the child, teach them to share, contribute to the family. Great post Ken!

Dawn Grove

#22 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

My three children are average height to tall for their age and are slender.  They are involved in athletics.  My oldest son is in the running club at school and ran 10 miles as part of the Cheetah Chase.  They get dessert almost every night, either a yogurt cup or a frozen yogurt stick.

The funny thing is none of my children have asked for any of their candy since we put it out in the garage; it just isn't much a part of our life.

I used to take most of the Halloween candy to work, but since I started working from home a couple years ago that isn't such a good idea.  While my kids don't have a huge sweet tooth, I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users