• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

I've just got to rant about this. I used to love these stores, but now I can't stand them.

Why can't I just buy a pair of shorts w/o 25 pockets? Are you trying to cargo short the world?

Also, I would prefer blue jeans that are just that... blue jeans. I don't need them looking like someone just wiped their *** with them. Acid wash and stone wash went out in the late 70s and early 80s for a reason.

While the workers are all nice and they present well, the clothes at both of these stores just plain sucks. No wonder Gap's stock has been in the doldrums for years.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#2 LadyGreenEyes

LadyGreenEyes

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Mar 18 2007, 06:40 PM) View Post
I've just got to rant about this. I used to love these stores, but now I can't stand them.

Why can't I just buy a pair of shorts w/o 25 pockets? Are you trying to cargo short the world?

Also, I would prefer blue jeans that are just that... blue jeans. I don't need them looking like someone just wiped their *** with them. Acid wash and stone wash went out in the late 70s and early 80s for a reason.

While the workers are all nice and they present well, the clothes at both of these stores just plain sucks. No wonder Gap's stock has been in the doldrums for years.

Did you hear me complaining while shopping today? lol I could have written what you just did. You are so right! I'm looking for a simple pair of shorts for summer. I don't want sequins on the pockets. I don't want trendy patches on my butt. I also don't want 15 pockets everywhere. What has happened to the classic looking shorts and jeans? I'm 43 and no, I don't want some cute pair of shorts that some teenager is wearing. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

#3 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

GAP and Old Navy have always catered to the younger crowd and whatever happens to be in style at that time. It sounds like Mervyn's or Kohl's may be better suited for your wardrobe tastes

#4 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

rofl.gif My wife goes through this realization every few years as she outgrows her favorite stores. First it was Wet Seal as she realized she wasn't 17 anymore. A couple others have come and gone throughout her 20's. Lately, she also hasn't been able to find anything at Old Navy she likes.

Part of her problem is that in the last 5 years or so, all the styles are the same crap we wore when we were growing up (and some that we stole from our parents). My wife just laughs at the new "slim" ankle-high jeans. She even spotted a couple pairs with the little zipper at the bottom. Next thing you know, they'll start rolling and pegging them again... the horror! And remember when those trendy "cargo pant" were just called "Bugle Boys", regardless of the brand? Ahhhh... those were the days.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#5 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Sandman @ Mar 19 2007, 09:17 AM) View Post
GAP and Old Navy have always catered to the younger crowd and whatever happens to be in style at that time. It sounds like Mervyn's or Kohl's may be better suited for your wardrobe tastes

Actually, I'm around the age of ladygreeneyes, and I have been successful finding shorts at Old Navy. It was nice to find ones that actually fit! I was tempted to go this weekend, but it sounds like they have moved away from providing simple jean shorts. The only thing I had to watch out for when shopping there in prior years was the inseam length. They have shortest, shorter, and short shorts. I don't need a 1-inch inseam at my age.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#6 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Mar 18 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post

Haha, you're slowly realizing you're not hip anymore!

#7 LadyGreenEyes

LadyGreenEyes

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Mar 19 2007, 11:16 AM) View Post
Actually, I'm around the age of ladygreeneyes, and I have been successful finding shorts at Old Navy. It was nice to find ones that actually fit! I was tempted to go this weekend, but it sounds like they have moved away from providing simple jean shorts. The only thing I had to watch out for when shopping there in prior years was the inseam length. They have shortest, shorter, and short shorts. I don't need a 1-inch inseam at my age.

The term you used, "simple jean shorts" are what I'm looking for and what Old Navy doesn't seem to carry anymore. I never thought it would be so hard to find a simple pair of shorts. To be honest, I love the clothes at Old Navy, it's just that when it comes to shorts, I don't want to look like I'm trying to be a "trendy teen" I actually found a nice pair of simple jean shorts online at Victorias Secret and ordered them earlier. They are exactly what I was looking for. I resent having to pay $29.50 + S&H for a pair of shorts, but I'm tired of going from store to store with no luck, so I decided to splurge.

#8 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

You sound like my husband. I am the retro dresser and he just likes simple blue jeans and a tee shirt. He refuses to by "dirty jeans." He said he can make his jeans look like that for free. HAHA

#9 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Get off my lawn, ya damn kids!

We're all getting old.

#10 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have the same problem with my husband... The "basic" jean shorts are too short and look kinda dorky(IMHO)smile.gif

I have finally broken down and bought him the shorts with a thousand pockets and sewn the pocket flaps down in the corners. If I don't, then after the first wash the pocket flaps are all over the place, and it looks really bad....who has time to iron em down?!

#11 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Mar 22 2007, 12:58 PM) View Post
I have the same problem with my husband... The "basic" jean shorts are too short and look kinda dorky(IMHO)smile.gif

I have finally broken down and bought him the shorts with a thousand pockets and sewn the pocket flaps down in the corners. If I don't, then after the first wash the pocket flaps are all over the place, and it looks really bad....who has time to iron em down?!

I don't know crap about fashion but I do know not to buy jean shorts. DO NOT BUY OR WEAR JEAN SHORTS

#12 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 22 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post
I don't know crap about fashion but I do know not to buy jean shorts. DO NOT BUY OR WEAR JEAN SHORTS

I agree! Do not, under any circumstances, where jorts.

#13 mom2mnm

mom2mnm

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 22 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post

laugh.gif lmaosmiley.gif laugh.gif lmaosmiley.gif

Yeah, jean shorts are bad on guys.

I haven't been able to find shorts at Old Navy for a few years. They are all either 1/3" inseam or the ones that reach the knee with 52 pockets. ICK!

#14 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

Old guy and Alabama jean shorts are bad. Denim shorts can be ok if you follow some simple rules:

1) The waist should never be at or above your belly button.

2) There must be a minimum of three inches below "the family". No suffocation allowed.

3) The legs must be loose enough so that in theory you could stand without any part of the pant touching your leg. "Cowboy tight" is not allowed under any circumstance.

4) They must at least touch the top of the knee. A couple inches lower is better.

5) In most cases the shirt must remain untucked. Very few exceptions allowed.

Unfortunately, these rules almost eliminate any man that was born before 1970.

Unacceptable:

Acceptable:

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users