472 replies to this topic

#1 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

I will start off by saying this is totally my fault for falling for such a ridiculous scam. When they say it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But, since ATT gave me $200 visa card for signing up for U-verse, I had hopes this wasn’t a scam. Even though I HATE Becks, I went there because they had the best deal on the Simmons Comforpedic bed that I wanted. Not to mention they had the buy anything in the store that is $597 or more and you get $600 in free gas or groceries. You can choose from Costco, Walmart, Safeway or many other stores.

We opted to go for the groceries. After the sale was complete and we asked for our gift card they said we would get it at the customer service counter where you pick up your merchandise. Well to our surprise they handed us this certificate that you have to register online. I thought "ok, I can deal with this," but found out that in order to get your so called $600 in free groceries, you have to mail in $100 worth of receipts from grocery stores every month and they will send you a $25 gift card to a grocery store of your choice. You can only get 1 $25 card a month and if you miss the 30 day date from the last gift card you get, you lose that month’s $25 gift card and you have to wait until the next month. Yes, I spend more than $100 a month on groceries, but the fact that I have to save the receipts each month and mail them in and be on time to get my stupid $25 is ridiculous.

I went back in to Becks and told them how shocked I was at this and how underhanded I thought this was. Their statement was "it’s free, so why does it matter." I told them that is not the point and that it really isn’t free because I am sure they are getting some sort of a kick back or are just marking the prices up to make up the difference. I went to look at their advertisement to read the fine print, and there is no fine print. It just says see the store for details. So, I guess they can get away with advertising this? Unbelievable…. I would have bought the bed there anyway because it was the best price, but I still cant believe they do this.

#2 Phonon

Phonon

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:hike camp kayak bike sleep

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

I HATE Visa gift cards. Read the fine print, they decrease in value every month, due to fees associated with maintaining the acct.

That Becks deal is BS too. They count on you not using it, thus not having to pay out the messily $25/month. And who is going to keep doing the paperwork every month for 2 years?

I'm sure you have to wait 10-12 weeks for each rebate check. Then you have to make a special trip to the bank, to deposit the darn thing.

Creative accounting OR Creative financing OR Creative marketing = scam. Run away.

#3 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Phonon @ Jun 4 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I HATE Visa gift cards. Read the fine print, they decrease in value every month, due to fees associated with maintaining the acct.

That Becks deal is BS too. They count on you not using it, thus not having to pay out the messily $25/month. And who is going to keep doing the paperwork every month for 2 years?

I'm sure you have to wait 10-12 weeks for each rebate check. Then you have to make a special trip to the bank, to deposit the darn thing.

Creative accounting OR Creative financing OR Creative marketing = scam. Run away.

That's why so many retailers offer "mail in" rebates rather than giving you the discount at time of purchase. They know that well over half the customers don't bother to mail them in.. I don't think Beck's offer is a scam as it's akin to getting a phone for free once you send in all the receipts and box top and form etc.. to get your....what else, vias gift card. The problem is many customers don't activate the gift card by calling the # and suddenly that free phone isn't so free any longer. Yes Creative marketing at its best( or worst).

#4 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

Went there a few months ago about this dea, got the info on the $600 in free groceries and left. It's a joke. These furniture places are just as bad as car dealerships.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#5 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

I think furniture places are worse than car dealerships. I don't like going to Beck's, as I really don't like when you walk in the door there are five or six sales people waiting to pounce on you.

#6 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

I bought some furniture from Costco.com...Pretty good quality for the price and white glove service, with a guarantee......
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#7 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (legofamily @ Jun 4 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think furniture places are worse than car dealerships. I don't like going to Beck's, as I really don't like when you walk in the door there are five or six sales people waiting to pounce on you.

At least at the car dealership you can get yourself educated about the scams first. They're so small-time.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#8 Folsom4Now

Folsom4Now

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family, reading, many other things.

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

I had a feeling there was a "catch" to this offer. I saw it advertised a few times. Sorry to hear you didn't get an honest deal.
"I love when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, one spirit" -Khalil Gilbran

#9 rda

rda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

We opted to go for the groceries. After the sale was complete and we asked for our gift card they said we would get it at the customer service counter where you pick up your merchandise. Well to our surprise they handed us this certificate that you have to register online. I thought "ok, I can deal with this," but found out that in order to get your so called $600 in free groceries, you have to mail in $100 worth of receipts from grocery stores every month and they will send you a $25 gift card to a grocery store of your choice.

Well, you're only partially correct. The $25.00 a month you get is a Visa gift card that can be used in any way you want. You don't have to use it at the grocery store. Yes, I believe you can maybe feel like you were lured in with a false promise, but did you really think they'd just hand you 600.00 in groceries when you walked in?

I have a business associate who sells these promotions and I think they're great. I am using them with my business. Beck's gets no kickbacks from the stores. They pay for each certificate and the deal is real. The profit comes from advertisers who have ads that will be stuffed into the envelope each month with your visa card and online when you register. It's free money for simply doing something you're already doing, buying 100.00 worth of groceries a month. The only "catch" is you have to pick your store (any store you want) and each month you spend less than 5 minutes and a .44 stamp and .02 envelope to mail in the receipt. For that, you get 25.00 a month for a year or 2 years or whatever your deal is.....It's not like a 2 for 1 coupon where you have to buy certain items. You can buy anything you want.

If spending 4 minutes and .50 a month to get $25.00 seems like a hassle, then it's a rip-off to you. My clients are very happy to get free money. Some people are just not into coupons. wacko.gif

#10 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I would stay away from any long term rebate deals like this ESPECIALLY when the furniture market is tanking. What are the chances of Beck's making it two years?

Also, what if you do not spend $100/month on groceries? I do not, so would that mean I would not get the $600 in rebates?

#11 rda

rda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

I would stay away from any long term rebate deals like this ESPECIALLY when the furniture market is tanking. What are the chances of Beck's making it two years?

Also, what if you do not spend $100/month on groceries? I do not, so would that mean I would not get the $600 in rebates?

Again, it has nothing to do with Beck's. They just bought the promotional coupons and once they give them out, it's the advertising company that takes over. And if you don't spend 100.00 a month on groceries (you grow all your own food?), then it's not for you.

#12 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Jun 4 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least at the car dealership you can get yourself educated about the scams first. They're so small-time.

I agree. So true.

#13 RV3000

RV3000

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

We bought furniture from Beck's at 2 different occasions ( about 2 weeks apart) recently and tried to register both the $500 grocery coupon. It would not take the second coupon at first but when we put in a different address and telephone number for the second coupon, it did! WHAT A SCAM! Do not buy at Beck's just for the coupon - it is a waste of time and energy.
When I call to activate my account, they put me on hold forever....it has been a month and we have still not been successful in getting this thing working!

#14 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (rda @ Jun 4 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you're only partially correct. The $25.00 a month you get is a Visa gift card that can be used in any way you want. You don't have to use it at the grocery store. Yes, I believe you can maybe feel like you were lured in with a false promise, but did you really think they'd just hand you 600.00 in groceries when you walked in?

I have a business associate who sells these promotions and I think they're great. I am using them with my business. Beck's gets no kickbacks from the stores. They pay for each certificate and the deal is real. The profit comes from advertisers who have ads that will be stuffed into the envelope each month with your visa card and online when you register. It's free money for simply doing something you're already doing, buying 100.00 worth of groceries a month. The only "catch" is you have to pick your store (any store you want) and each month you spend less than 5 minutes and a .44 stamp and .02 envelope to mail in the receipt. For that, you get 25.00 a month for a year or 2 years or whatever your deal is.....It's not like a 2 for 1 coupon where you have to buy certain items. You can buy anything you want.

If spending 4 minutes and .50 a month to get $25.00 seems like a hassle, then it's a rip-off to you. My clients are very happy to get free money. Some people are just not into coupons. wacko.gif

Actually I use coupons all the time and according to Becks you can choose a gift card from any grocery store. It’s not a visa card. I haven’t gotten to the part where you have to pick a store and spend $100 a month there only. I shop at a bunch of different stores so could be hard to do $100 a month at any one particular store. Maybe Costco will work. I never spend under $100. And yes, I did think they would hand over a $600 gift card. AT&T had no problem handing me over $200 gift card for singing up for U-verse.

My other question to Becks was, “what if this company goes out of business?” Their response was "oh we didn’t think about that?"

BTW, just as I told Becks.......This is NOT free. Nothing in life is ever free, but good job trying to put a spin on it RDA.

#15 rda

rda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

Actually I use coupons all the time and according to Becks you can choose a gift card from any grocery store. It’s not a visa card. I haven’t gotten to the part where you have to pick a store and spend $100 a month there only. I shop at a bunch of different stores so could be hard to do $100 a month at any one particular store. Maybe Costco will work. I never spend under $100. And yes, I did think they would hand over a $600 gift card. AT&T had no problem handing me over $200 gift card for singing up for U-verse.

My other question to Becks was, “what if this company goes out of business?” Their response was "oh we didn’t think about that?"

BTW, just as I told Becks.......This is NOT free. Nothing in life is ever free, but good job trying to put a spin on it RDA.

Hey, no spin, just the facts. I'm a No-Spin Zone fan too.....

When you asked the question to someone at Becks, just because they didn't know doesn't mean anything. I'm sure they have some employees who know the program. Becks is not giving you anything but the promotional card that they paid for. After that, the money comes from the coupon company.

As for the gift cards, they used to be gift certificates for the specific store you chose, but now they are all generic visa debit cards. You can use them anywhere you please.

....Oh, and for the person who had to use 2 different addresses, the program can be used for one grocery and one gas promotion at a time, but not 2 of the same at one time. If you registered under a different address or whatever, then you worked around the system and that's fine. You'll get the advantage of the (almost) free money and the advertisers get to you twice as much. Cool......

Note: I have nothing to do with this program other than as a business owner who is also using it. I checked it out thoroughly before I got involved so that's why I know so many details. With any promotion, you have rules. If you think spending .50 and 4 minutes a month of your time is not worth 25.00, then don't do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users