210 replies to this topic

#16 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:08 AM

I have to admit, we haven't been back to China House since we read their Health Inspection. We're waiting for an update, hoping that they've improved things. I didn't want to mention that ... perhaps that was wrong. Sorry. sad.gif

Our Sol Azteca experience was about a year ago, so hopefully that waitress has indeed been fired. Maybe we'll give it another try one of these days, since so many people seem to like it.

I'm glad someone mentioned Sharky's -- it may be "fast food", but it's pretty healthy, delicious, and very reasonably priced.

#17 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (kanda @ Jun 9 2003, 09:08 AM)
I have to admit, we haven't been back to China House since we read their Health Inspection. We're waiting for an update, hoping that they've improved things. I didn't want to mention that ... perhaps that was wrong. Sorry. sad.gif

What you did was proper. If any restaurant has a problem that can potentially bring health problems to customers they need to fix it and get a better report. Common sense stuff.

I just hope that China House will not lose any customers.
This remind me of an incidence. I worked in a Chinese restaurant is Tampa Florida in the early 80's. Business was booming and then one day someone did not like the owner so he went to the the Tampa Tribune and reported that the restaurant served cat meat. After the newspaper report, the restaurant almost went of of business. That was mean!!! wacko.gif wacko.gif

#18 GaryD

GaryD

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:28 PM

Interesting to read all the different opinions - it's nice that we have so many choices nearby!

We've been to Sol Azteca a few times (both pre and post remodel) and haven't been impressed - but it's our kids and grandkids favorite. If you want to have fun try eating outside on the deck at Hacienda - but the food is only average. My favorite is Cafe Delicias (near the corner of Folsom-Auburn and Douglas) - great food, especially the Chile relleno's and the Chile Verde burritos - but not the fanciest accomodations.

To notch it up a couple of steps I would recommend Bidwell Street Bistro - excellent food and when you are served you know the meal was individually prepared. We prefer it to Bailees or Savoy (now closed).

One final recommendation - Tahoe Joes - good quality food and a good atmosphere at reasonable prices (and the coldest beer in Folsom).

enjoy!

#19 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, cybertrano. Speaking of health inspections, here's the link again for those who are interested:
http://sacbee.com/cg...ews/restaurant/

Also, I was pleased to read the planned improvements to the health inspection system:
http://www.emd.co.sa...FoodProtect.htm

I hope these actually get implemented (& quickly).

#20 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:01 PM

Bidwell Street Bistro's the BEST! The only low marks I give it is location. The ambiance would be better if it didn't sit in the middle of a parking lot. But taste & presentation of food is superb, service is excellent. They've never once disappointed.

Val Doss Joyce smile.gif

#21 nolongernew

nolongernew

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 07:48 PM

How about Village Green? Any good?

Visconti's?

#22 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:21 AM

Village Green is very good. Plus, they have deep-fried Snicker bars for dessert!

#23 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:48 PM

I tried some cake that someone brought from Ettore's bakery where the old "Bread and Chocolate" place was.
It was unbeliveably good. I went to their web site and they say they now serve Sunday brunch. Has anyone tried it?
user posted image

#24 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 07:12 PM

Village Green is pretty good as far as food (but not great-- (I usually get a burger), but a terrific place for live music. Friday and Saturday night live bands feature blues. The bands are very good---every bit as good as you'd hear in San Francisco. Blues lovers from all over the greater Sacramento area should be coming in droves, but they're not. So far, no cover charge. You can just sip a soda ( or beer, they're a micro-brewery and offer a great assortment) and listen to music & and/or dance all night. It's my very favorite hang-out in Folsom (that is, if I had time to just "hang out"...)

Val Doss Joyce

#25 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:23 AM

I like the Pad Thai at "Tai Siam" that is next to the Radisson
For chinese, I like Jade King in American River Canyon and Rice Express.
For japanese, I like Tokyo Sushi.

For pizza, I like Ciro's. They are a bit pricey though.

#26 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 12:44 PM

You're right about the Pad Tai at Tai Siam. It's by far the best Pad Tai in Sacramento.

Val Doss Joyce

#27 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (valdossjoyce @ Jun 21 2003, 12:44 PM)
You're right about the Pad Tai at Tai Siam. It's by far the best Pad Tai in Sacramento.

Val Doss Joyce

Thai Basil in Roseville is the best in my opinion. Yum.

#28 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:54 AM

I have to retract my statement about avoiding Oriental rest.

I had lunch at the "Lucky Dragon" in the shopping center at the corner of Oak Avenue and American River Canyon on the west side of the river. The food was marvelous, each plate freshly cooked AFTER ORDERING.

The prices for lunch $4.50 to $5.50. I had the shrimp w/vegetable plate with rice, soup & tea for $5.50. The veggies were perfect, crisply tender and abundant. Snow peas, carrots, onion, celery, broccoli, water chestnuts. There were several sweet & sour selections, and several selections of each, chicken, beef & shrimp.

I highly recommend Lucky Dragon for both quality and price. 5 stars.

#29 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 01:06 PM

Lucky Dragon? Is that where Jade King used to be?

#30 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 02:23 PM

Visconti's on East Bidwell (near Bailie's) used to be fairly good Italian food, but somehow they've lost their authenticity, quality and customer service over the last few years.

But if you want to go for a worthwhile fairly short drive, try Papa Gianni's in the Bel Air shopping center on Cameron Park Drive in Cameron Park (Hollywood Video is next door to the restaurant).

Such fresh ingredients and really authentic Italian dishes - excellent every time we've been there. Service is topnotch. They also have an incredible wine selection and homemade desserts - Tiramisu and cheesecakes - if you can manage them after the wonderful main course.

We recommend this place quite often to anyone looking for great Italian food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users