66 replies to this topic

#1 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

While on my walk this morning Sunday August 10 at 7:30 am, the sprinklers by the Broadstone Racquet Club were flooding the parking lot and nearby trail. Walked back by on the way home at 8:30 am and they were still running. What a waste of water. Not sure if the sprinklers belong to the Racquet Club or City of Folsom. Attached a picture showing all the runoff in the parking lot.

#2 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Would not accept the photo in my post above.. How do I resize it?

#3 1wlkr

1wlkr

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

I also saw this and they do not belong to BRC I did go in and talk to the front desk.   They were going to call and see if they could reach anyone at the city to inform them.  Yes there was a ton of water

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

Is it really a waste if it hits natural flora and fauna in the area? I read an article in the news this weeks that potentially hundreds of thousands of birds may die beween now and December in the Sacramento delta region due to the drought. With that in mind I am now putting a small fountain of water in the yard. I may be saving hundreds of gallons by not watering a yard, but why take a chance of seeing an entire generation of migratory birds die in our back yards? 

Im not saying that waste is ok. I'm just saying, if it hits soil near the preserves and trails it - at least- is benefiting local animals; right? Anyway, just thinking outloud- I guess.

#5 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Is it really a waste if it hits natural flora and fauna in the area? I read an article in the news this weeks that potentially hundreds of thousands of birds may die beween now and December in the Sacramento delta region due to the drought. With that in mind I am now putting a small fountain of water in the yard. I may be saving hundreds of gallons by not watering a yard, but why take a chance of seeing an entire generation of migratory birds die in our back yards? 

Im not saying that waste is ok. I'm just saying, if it hits soil near the preserves and trails it - at least- is benefiting local animals; right? Anyway, just thinking outloud- I guess.

Supermom, you do raise a good point, but I saw this flood this morning too..  There was way too much water and it was running off into the parking lot and street.  Thanks 1wlkr for letting the BRC staff know.  If you're going to use water, water the plants, not the pavement.  In addition, overwatering is just as bad for the plant as underwatering and can kill it in the long term.  It can cause growth of fungus and mold, attract bad pests, wash away nutrients in the soil, and encourage shallow root growth.  Shallow roots can damage pavement, make it harder for the plant to survive in a drought, and make it easier for the tree to topple in a storm.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#6 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

It's time for the city to be audited and evaluated for its water use and abuse.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#7 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

What 1walker did was what we should all be doing.  The city staff can't be everywhere all the time.  If you see something that needs to be fixed please report it.

#8 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Water flooding the parking lot at the Broadstone Racquet Club again on Monday morning between 7:30 - 8:30. City sprinklers were running over an hour on Sunday. Residents are restricted to 2 days a week, but the City can flood parking lots daily? 

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Water flooding the parking lot at the Broadstone Racquet Club again on Monday morning between 7:30 - 8:30. City sprinklers were running over an hour on Sunday. Residents are restricted to 2 days a week, but the City can flood parking lots daily? 

waterconservation@folsom.ca.us

#10 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

What 1walker did was what we should all be doing.  The city staff can't be everywhere all the time.  If you see something that needs to be fixed please report it.

+1.  Even in my own home, leaks in the irrigation system happen and I don't always catch them immediately, especially since my system is set to water while I'm asleep.  Two examples come to mind

1.  Last summer, I noticed one part of the front lawn was getting brown, but the other section was fine.  I ran the sprinklers and noticed that the pressure on the zone for the brown section was really low.  Traced it back to the valve, where the supply line had completely broken.  I don't know how long it had been going on, but I had been wasting tens of gallons of water each time that zone ran for 6 mins, 3x per day, 4 days a week.  I eventually fixed it, but the water was wasted.

2.  Once while I was on vacation, one of my sprinkler heads blew off and there was a gusher.  Thankfully, my wonderful neighbor saw it and placed a big rock over the riser hole to plug it up.  I was fortunate to have this happened in the front yard when he was leaving for his early morning job.  Had it been in the backyard, no one would have noticed.

Key message, sprinkler systems never work perfectly, always have a problem, and I've spent most of my time as a homeowner servicing them.  The city has limited staff and an entire town to maintain.  Let's hold them accountable for any malfunctioning systems and water waste by reporting it to the water conservation hotline.  

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#11 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

+1.  Even in my own home, leaks in the irrigation system happen and I don't always catch them immediately, especially since my system is set to water while I'm asleep.  Two examples come to mind

1.  Last summer, I noticed one part of the front lawn was getting brown, but the other section was fine.  I ran the sprinklers and noticed that the pressure on the zone for the brown section was really low.  Traced it back to the valve, where the supply line had completely broken.  I don't know how long it had been going on, but I had been wasting tens of gallons of water each time that zone ran for 6 mins, 3x per day, 4 days a week.  I eventually fixed it, but the water was wasted.

2.  Once while I was on vacation, one of my sprinkler heads blew off and there was a gusher.  Thankfully, my wonderful neighbor saw it and placed a big rock over the riser hole to plug it up.  I was fortunate to have this happened in the front yard when he was leaving for his early morning job.  Had it been in the backyard, no one would have noticed.

Key message, sprinkler systems never work perfectly, always have a problem, and I've spent most of my time as a homeowner servicing them.  The city has limited staff and an entire town to maintain.  Let's hold them accountable for any malfunctioning systems and water waste by reporting it to the water conservation hotline.  

Was not a leak such as a broken pipe or sprinkler. It was a case of sprinklers running for over an hour. Obviously they must be on a timer. It was flooding the parking lot again this morning.  

#12 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Was not a leak such as a broken pipe or sprinkler. It was a case of sprinklers running for over an hour. Obviously they must be on a timer. It was flooding the parking lot again this morning.  

That's definitely way too long to water with sprinklers.  The timer is not programmed correctly.  In the long-term thought, that patch of grass has not much of a purpose.  I wish they would replace it with some drip-irrigated shrubs that would save water and look much better too.

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#13 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

I can't speak for all city parks but I can tell you the park I live by (Handy) the city has no problem laying down a ton of water.  The ground is very saturated at times and the grass is not in any way hurting from lack of water.  No different from previous years IMO even though they say they have cut back.

#14 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I can't speak for all city parks but I can tell you the park I live by (Handy) the city has no problem laying down a ton of water.  The ground is very saturated at times and the grass is not in any way hurting from lack of water.  No different from previous years IMO even though they say they have cut back.

If it is grass fields used for sports I've heard it's a liability issue.  If' it's just a matter of keeping grass for aesthetics, then that's wrong.

#15 menicksmom

menicksmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

We've got it here in EDH too. Silva Valley near Green Valley, 11:00 am, it just rolls down the gutter and waters the street, while I splash my car through the puddles it's creating. I notified EID of overspray AND not watering at night. They told me it was CSD's problem & they would be notified. A week later and it was still happening. I notified again, but it's been a couple days since I've driven that way. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users