66 replies to this topic

#31 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

I just returned from Palm Springs, Not a whole lot of conservation going on in the So-Cal desert, Lots of green lawns, Grass medians and Perfectly manicured golf courses.

Ain't it grand?  And my family member lives in So Cal and can water every other day, but let's build the tunnels.

#32 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

At least now we know why we see weird signs like this one:

10590408_592373437533625_175158711539536

#33 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I agree.  There is a difference in keeping it alive and keeping it squishy.

A lot of our shopping centers don't seem to be making any changes in watering times or sprinkler maintenance either.

I should also add Handy park is getting watered every other night AND morning.  Folsom definitely isn't following its own mandates for only watering twice a week.  A bit hypocritical if you ask me...  I imagine other Folsom parks are on similar watering schedules as Handy.

#34 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

I should also add Handy park is getting watered every other night AND morning.  Folsom definitely isn't following its own mandates for only watering twice a week.  A bit hypocritical if you ask me...  I imagine other Folsom parks are on similar watering schedules as Handy.

Sandman,

I just forwarded this to Mayor Kerri Howell.  I will let you know what I hear back.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#35 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Sandman,

I just forwarded this to Mayor Kerri Howell.  I will let you know what I hear back.

I guess it is a good think we are not holding our breath because she has not answered.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#36 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

I got a reply from Kerri Howell and Lorraine Poggione.

Sorry Cal,

I have been working in the field for the past 3 days and just saw the email this afternoon.  As you can see, it has been forwarded for staff to take action on it.  Thanks for the heads up and Hi to Nan!

Kerri

Hi Kerri-Thanks for forwarding to us. I am forwarding this to Tim O’Shea who oversees irrigation in our parks and can address this issue.

Take care-

Lorraine   

Lorraine J. Poggione, M.P.A

Municipal Landscape Services Manager

City of Folsom

Parks and Recreation Department

50 Natoma Street

Folsom, CA 95630

(916) 355-7207

Cell (916) 220-4899

#37 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

Sandman:::

OK, here is your answer... From Robert Goss....

Fm: Robert Goss

To:  MeTim O'SheaEvert W. Palmer and 3 more...

Today at 9:00 AM

Calvin,

It is indeed likely that Handy Park is being watered more than twice per week.  We understand there may be a perception problem about this; however, the Parks and Recreation Department is in full compliance with the water conservation ordinance. 

The ordinance contains a provision for large landscape managers to develop customized irrigation schedules that meet the 20% water use reduction; submit them to the Water Division of the city’s Utilities Department; and, have them reviewed for approval.  We submitted our plan and had it approved several months ago when the Stage 3 water use reduction was enacted.  A few of the constraints we have in meeting the twice/week watering are the hydraulic limitations of the irrigation system designs; irrigation valve/head layout; soil conditions and slopes; park use schedules of leagues and tournaments; effective irrigation windows (meaning when we actually can irrigate); maintaining safe conditions of fields, etc.  As such, we have a custom schedule that emphasizes maintaining quality turf conditions on our sports fields where safety is a key consideration, as well as maintaining tree health.  Throughout the city I think you will notice that informal turf areas in our parks are generally much drier than sports fields, but the park trees are holding on pretty well.  Turf is relatively inexpensive to renovate and bring back from a tough year, but if we lose trees we’ve lost many years/decades of investment in the shade and aesthetics they provide.   Over the course of spring and summer we have periodically written articles for the city newsletter and/or Telegraph describing our efforts to conserve, but admittedly the communication is not 100% throughout the community.

I am happy and proud to say the efforts or our division managers and irrigation technicians have resulted in substantial water savings, including meeting the 20% reduction required in our Stage 3 Water Warning.  In a recent update of our water use, the Park Maintenance Division had achieved a 24% reduction year over year, and the Lighting and Landscape Division had achieved a 27% reduction year over year.

We appreciate the concern and continue to encourage the community to let us know promptly when there are irrigation system failures like broken heads, stuck-open valves, or main line leaks.  Because of the sheer size of our park system and ornamental landscapes, irrigation management is our top priority right after general public safety.  We invest hundreds of hours each week keeping the systems as efficient as we can.

Thank you for your inquiry.  We’re happy to explain our management strategy.

Robert Goss, Director

City of Folsom

Parks & Recreation Department

916-355-7336

#38 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

If excess water is running off properties, it is illegal in California and subject to a $500 fine.  The California Water Resources regulations were modified about a month ago.  It is also illegal to operate that backyard bird fountain unless it is recirculating the water.

There are many brown lawns in our hood, but in between are several lush greens where people refuse to adjust to the California clime.

"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#39 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

If excess water is running off properties, it is illegal in California and subject to a $500 fine.  The California Water Resources regulations were modified about a month ago.  It is also illegal to operate that backyard bird fountain unless it is recirculating the water.

There are many brown lawns in our hood, but in between are several lush greens where people refuse to adjust to the California clime.

I was told by the City of Folsom that when water wasters are reported they will issue them a "Courtesy Warning". They will give them a week to comply. If they do not, they will issue them an "Official Notice". They will be given another week to comply. A total of four Official Notices will be issued, with a week between each. The City would not respond when I asked about fines or if any had been issued. I assume not, since they allow the waste to continue for a month and a half from the time of the first Courtesy Notice.

I for one will not be happy if the water situation gets worse in the future and they decide to raise their rates. Especially since they are not taking advantage of the additional revenue that could be generated by fining water wasters.

#40 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

I am watering enough to keep my lawn alive. I cut it at the highest setting and mow about every three or four weeks. I cannot afford to put in new lawn when we are out of the drought and I don't make enough to re-landscape my yards with drought tolerant landscape. :(

I was told by the City of Folsom that when water wasters are reported they will issue them a "Courtesy Warning". They will give them a week to comply. If they do not, they will issue them an "Official Notice". They will be given another week to comply. A total of four Official Notices will be issued, with a week between each. The City would not respond when I asked about fines or if any had been issued. I assume not, since they allow the waste to continue for a month and a half from the time of the first Courtesy Notice.

I for one will not be happy if the water situation gets worse in the future and they decide to raise their rates. Especially since they are not taking advantage of the additional revenue that could be generated by fining water wasters.

The city could argue they're giving time to correct the situation with the possibility they homeowner is out of town. I think four weeks is too generous. Two weeks seems fair. If you're gone longer than that you usually arrange with someone to take care of mail and watering needs.

#41 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I am watering enough to keep my lawn alive. I cut it at the highest setting and mow about every three or four weeks. I cannot afford to put in new lawn when we are out of the drought and I don't make enough to re-landscape my yards with drought tolerant landscape. :(

The city could argue they're giving time to correct the situation with the possibility they homeowner is out of town. I think four weeks is too generous. Two weeks seems fair. If you're gone longer than that you usually arrange with someone to take care of mail and watering needs.

I agree.  I'm just trying to keep my yard alive.  I didn't plant a lot of things I normally would have this year.  Like the city, I'm re-doing irrigation and landscaping as the budget allows.  I do somehow manage to have less runoff than the parks, L & D districts, schools, and shopping centers, and so I don't feel too guilty about keeping my plants alive.

People should have time to fix things.  We all know things happen, things break.  I've had valves stick open and timers malfunction.  

#42 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've noticed a significant drop in the overwatering at Handy Park in the last week or so.  Maybe someone actually got out from behind their desk, and went over there and took a look at what I was talking about.  The place was like a big sponge every morning.

#43 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

I see that the city is still planning to do their annual drain and fill of the pools at the aquatic center.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#44 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

How are you guys keeping your lawns green? I water mine twice a week as per the law and my lawn is dead and brown. Meanwhile many neighbors have very nice green lush lawns.

I feel like a fool for following the rules when everyone else is breaking them and maintaining lush green lawns.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#45 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

How are you guys keeping your lawns green? I water mine twice a week as per the law and my lawn is dead and brown. Meanwhile many neighbors have very nice green lush lawns.

I feel like a fool for following the rules when everyone else is breaking them and maintaining lush green lawns.

Why do you feel like a fool? You haven't chosen a stupid green lawn over doing your part in protecting Folsom's SINGLE source of water.

Don't judge yourself against others; judge yourself against what's right. You won't feel like a fool then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users