163 replies to this topic

#16 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Jun 21 2007, 12:00 PM) View Post
This is confusing. What is an electric bike? Why not get him a dirtbike. My 8 year old has one.

..and Prairie City OHV Park is only a few miles away. That place is a dirt bike paradise.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 21 2007, 12:26 PM) View Post
..and Prairie City OHV Park is only a few miles away. That place is a dirt bike paradise.

so there is a place to legally ride a dirt bike? Do you have to get any kind of license of anything for riding out there?

The electric bike I was talking about is a step down from the 60 cc racing bike kids ride. I told him I would not buy a racing bike!!

#18 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 21 2007, 12:37 PM) View Post
so there is a place to legally ride a dirt bike? Do you have to get any kind of license of anything for riding out there?

The electric bike I was talking about is a step down from the 60 cc racing bike kids ride. I told him I would not buy a racing bike!!

Get him a dirtbike. With nasty carbs and a rusty frame. Teaches a kid how to gap his own plugs and other manly (or womanly, no offense biker babes!) stuff!

No license required for off-highway use (like prarie city)
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#19 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 21 2007, 12:26 PM) View Post

Where did you get the one for your 8 year old? I guess there are different sizes and ranges of speed?

#20 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Yes, there are a wide range of dirtbikes available for people of all sizes and skill levels. Some of the smaller bikes also have limiters a parent can activate or deactivate which limit the top speed of the bike. There is a multi-brand motorcycle shop over on Clarksville by the Home Depot where you could check them out. Personally, I wouldn't spend money on an electric bike, as your child will probably get bored with it pretty quickly.

#21 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 21 2007, 11:18 AM) View Post
99 Yamaha 650 vstar

That's the bike my husband used to have. He misses his motorcycle and I have a feeling we'll be getting one in the next year-ish.

#22 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 21 2007, 12:37 PM) View Post

yes its a place to legally ride a dirt bike. they have many different tracks for skill levels and its the greatest place around for a child to learn how to ride - no license necessary for off road bikes.

here's the official website all about Prairie City OHV
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1221

Here's the track info for kids

Kid’s Tracks

The Kid’s Track facility is limited to riders ages 14 years and younger. The facility is divided into two separate tracks. The 70cc Beginner Kid’s Track is for beginner-level children on motorcycles and ATVs 70cc and under. The 110cc Intermediate Kids’s Track is for intermediate-level riders on motorcycles and ATVs 110cc and under. Both areas are for young OHV enthusiasts to develop riding skills under the safety of direct adult supervision.

Practice Tracks
Just below the Staging Area is a MX Practice Track and ATV Practice Track on separated courses. The tracks consist of jumps and banked turns intended for intermediate to advanced level riders. Tracks are groomed and watered on a semi-regular basis and riders are advised to ride with caution.

#23 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Jun 21 2007, 01:59 PM) View Post
I found it on craigslist. It's a Honda XR70 which is 70cc. It has a clutchless manual transmission. Perfect for an 8 year old.

My brother-in-law bought one of those for his 6 year old who is a pretty good little rider now - thats a perfect bike for beginners with the clutchless transmission

#24 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jun 21 2007, 01:52 PM) View Post
That's the bike my husband used to have. He misses his motorcycle and I have a feeling we'll be getting one in the next year-ish.

Excellent! Its a great way to commute and very economical. Plus its fun as all heck to ride. I'm going to ride up to Fairplay tomorrow and pickup some vino, its become a monthly ritual for me and a ton of fun to get away from the city and enjoy riding in the country among the vineyards for a few hours.

#25 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

Grab my wine while you're up there!

Wait... take me with you!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#26 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 21 2007, 02:23 PM) View Post
Grab my wine while you're up there!

Wait... take me with you!

Rent a bike at Folsom Harley and ride out there too. Or hey I can pick up your wine but uh er can't promise they'll all make it back to your house safely, there could possibly be an evaporation problem in one of my saddle bags and you'll just get empty bottles tongue.gif

#27 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 21 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post
Rent a bike at Folsom Harley and ride out there too.

My friend who's coming up from San Luis Obispo to ride with me this weekend is doing exactly this. He has an 05 HD 1200 Sportster Custom at home, but for a variety of reasons he decided to rent a bike up here for our ride. He's going to be rolling a nice new Road King for the trip. Should be nice.

#28 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

Holy smokes. That is wicked. What year of Sporster is that built around? Details, please! How close to complete is it? Are you going to sell it at some point? Seeing as how you're not that in to Harleys, perhaps I could arrange to take it off of your hands for you for a small fee. You know, to free up some space in your garage for some more vintage iron....

I currently ride a Harley, but the truth is that I like virtually all bikes. If it has two wheels, an engine and a twist throttle, I'm pretty sure I can have fun on it! That Thruxton you recently sold is really one of my dream bikes. Of course, there are a lot of bikes on that list.

#29 Oroso

Oroso

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

My wife rides a 05 Honda VLX

I have a 92 Low Rider and 99 Ultra classic,I have been riding for 39 years and love it.

#30 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jun 21 2007, 02:47 PM) View Post
My friend who's coming up from San Luis Obispo to ride with me this weekend is doing exactly this. He has an 05 HD 1200 Sportster Custom at home, but for a variety of reasons he decided to rent a bike up here for our ride. He's going to be rolling a nice new Road King for the trip. Should be nice.

That'll be a nice ride for him going from a sporty to a road king - he's gonna like that and bet he'll want one soon too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users