27 replies to this topic

#16 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(YabYum @ May 25 2005, 09:33 AM)
i'll disagree with you there. i think it's incredible that Folsom has so many 'triggered' lights set up around town! the alternative would be what? to have lights set to automatically turn red every "x" seconds? is that preferable to you? I doubt it. That would just cause MORE light changes than currently exist

Right?

View Post

I too think its incredible that Folsom has so many triggered lights - I like being able to get thru an intersection w/out having to wait for the "timing" to trigger...it should be based on actual traffic instead of set timing - it is a very intelligent setup and there is no better alternative.

The best part is its even triggered by my motorcycle which to me is amazing - this is the only city I've ever lived in that has this. On a bike its worse then a car because lights rarely trigger and I'd have to wait thru several light cycles before I'd get a green arrow - usually only triggered when a car would come up behind me but here in Folsom its outstanding!

I love the way the streets and lights are setup in this town - to me its perfection!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

Has anyone taken action, i.e.....

Lorraine Poggione
Landscaping and Lighting District Manager at
916-355-7207
or
Richard Lorenz
Public Works Director at
916-355-7272
After you get the information you want please update this article and let us know what happens.

Don't just blow smoke, do something....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#18 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ May 25 2005, 02:08 PM)
Has anyone taken action, i.e.....

Lorraine Poggione
Landscaping and Lighting District Manager at
916-355-7207
or
Richard Lorenz
Public Works Director at
916-355-7272
After you get the information you want please update this article and let us know what happens.

Don't just blow smoke, do something....

View Post

Why would anyone call them - fewer lights are good and the way they work for the most part is better then 90% of the State...

And I didnt see any smoke coming out of any of them - did you ?>>>

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#19 pampChefLady

pampChefLady

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ May 25 2005, 12:20 PM)
Why would anyone call them - fewer lights are good and the way they work for the most part is better then 90% of the State...

And I didnt see any smoke coming out of any of them - did you ?>>>

Cheers
F500

View Post

I think the topic referenced was the median landscaping, not the lights...
Posted Image
Need an electrician? Call my husband!
Byron Wise of WiseCo Electric & Solar offers quality service at affordable rates. A quick search of MyFolsom.com returns recommendations from many satisfied Folsom customers.
www.WiseCoElectric.com or 916-752-4303

PS. I no longer sell Pampered Chef products; now it's just my username :)

#20 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ May 24 2005, 03:11 PM)
Hey- we dont need no more stinking stop lights impeding our progress on Iron Point.
BTW- I love that intersection on my way home- like to make the left with what I think is lots of room to spare- but oncoming cars seem to think they need 1/2 mile clear and always honk- I just wave- maybe they were just saying HI _ smile.gif

But the median could use some new landscape and what is about all the median trees they pulled out between Black Diamond and Ingersol- they were nice- Now there is NOTHING ....

Cheers
F500

View Post

Sure we all hate stop lights but when it becomes a safety hazzard for me and my family I would RATHER have one. Just because YOU are in a big hurry doesn't mean the rest of us have to risk our lives at the same dangerous intersection on a daily basis.

#21 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Sandman @ May 25 2005, 03:35 PM)
Sure we all hate stop lights but when it becomes a safety hazzard for me and my family I would RATHER have one. Just because YOU are in a big hurry doesn't mean the rest of us have to risk our lives at the same dangerous intersection on a daily basis.

View Post

i think he was being sarcastic, but ultimately the problem here is with a poorly planned street (Iron Point). there ARE too many lights on this road as it is. maybe it'd be wise to consider putting one at Black Diamond but removing one or two elsewhere?...... if they put a light at Black Diamond, you'll end up stopping at a light every 50-100 yards! i think that will cause more problems than solutions, personally....

as foryour and your family (and my own) trying to navigate that intersection, here's a suggestion: walk a block or two to the east or west, and cross at one of the existing lights. smile.gif

#22 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

The original problem had to do with landscaping. That is what needs to be taken to the city Landscaping and Lighting people......

(Original statement)

MrsBouquet May 21 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #1

What is the deal that's preventing the median strip from Black Diamond to Prairie City to be landscaped appropriately? How about putting in some trees to buffer the noise from Route 50? Email your city elders. This project is way overdue.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#23 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(YabYum @ May 25 2005, 03:42 PM)
i think he was being sarcastic, but ultimately the problem here is with a poorly planned street (Iron Point). there ARE too many lights on this road as it is. maybe it'd be wise to consider putting one at Black Diamond but removing one or two elsewhere?...... if they put a light at Black Diamond, you'll end up stopping at a light every 50-100 yards! i think that will cause more problems than solutions, personally....

as foryour and your family (and my own) trying to navigate that intersection, here's a suggestion:  walk a block or two to the east or west, and cross at one of the existing lights. smile.gif

View Post

There aren't too many lights on Iron Point when the speed limit is 45 mph between Prairie City and Folsom Boulevard and THE MAJORITY OF DRIVERS reach 55 to 60 mph between those lights. I drive this route every morning, and RARELY (I would say maybe once every two weeks) do I encounter another driver observing the 45 mph speed limit on this stretch.

#24 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(Terry @ May 25 2005, 09:16 PM)
There aren't too many lights on Iron Point when the speed limit is 45 mph between Prairie City and Folsom Boulevard and THE MAJORITY OF DRIVERS reach 55 to 60 mph between those lights.  I drive this route every morning, and RARELY (I would say maybe once every two weeks) do I encounter another driver observing the 45 mph speed limit on this stretch.

View Post

from memory, i can count at least 4 lights between Prairie City and Folsom Blvd. to me 4 lights is kind of excessive considering that stretch of road is only about 1.5 miles, IF that long......

adherence to speed limits isn't really at issue here. the issues are (a) landscaping along Iron Point, and (b) the potential need for a traffic light at Black Diamond, IF we have the option of removing another light to do so......

all of this is just wishful thinking, anyways.....

#25 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(YabYum @ May 25 2005, 03:42 PM)

as foryour and your family (and my own) trying to navigate that intersection, here's a suggestion:  walk a block or two to the east or west, and cross at one of the existing lights. smile.gif

View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, but I wasn't referring to crossing Iron Point on foot. Rather making a left hand turn from Black Diamond onto Iron Point heading towards Intel.

I would also have to agree with Terry. Rarely do you see anyone traveling the 45MPH posted speed limit on Iron Point. More like 55-60. So I don't quite get the "there are already too many lights" argument.

#26 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:36 PM

What does the speed have to do with the number of lights? People are going faster to make sure they don't have to stop every 100 yards!!
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#27 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

Just think, as soon as Willard opens up and crosses (behind Safeway) from Prairie City Rd. to Iron Point Rd., it could become a really busy street. Hey I think there is a light there already, but NO street, Yet!

#28 dave

dave

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:38 PM

Back to the original question. Iron Point will become 3 lanes each way there at some predetermined traffic level. Probably when the current construction behind Safeway is done or maybe when Intel adds another building or two.

Normally there are accounts that collect road fees waiting to be used to add the extra 2 lanes. Only then will the median and landscaping be finished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users