202 replies to this topic

#31 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:01 PM

Guess what folks: Some teenagers do drugs. Some teenagers have sex. Some teenagers will become future Folsom prison inmates.

Guess what else? Some teenagers DON'T do drugs, DON'T have sex and will become successful, upstanding members of their community.

What can you do to help determine which way YOUR teenager goes? Stay close to them. Ask questions. Be involved. Watch for signs. Care about them. Talk to them. Reward them when they make good decisions. Punish them when they don't. (I'm not talking about beatings here...).

All we can do as parents is try and set their values and morals straight. Be sure they know what is right and what is wrong and WHY those things are the way they are.

Eventually (and for HS students, it's very soon), they have to leave the house and fend for themselves. This means being responsible for their own actions.

If they've grown to learn that they can drink or do drugs and get away with it without consequence, that understanding will be carried with them into their adult life.

I happen to feel that this kid is posting just to raise everyone's hackles. For those parents like me who's eyes/ears are wide open, the post comes as NO surprise.

Anyone under 60 lived through the same dazed & confused era where all of these things were prevelant, if not more so. The challenges of parents then is the same as us today WITH ONE EXCEPTION: We've been there/done that (and that...and this...and that). We can relate through our OWN experience and perhaps that of people we know, why these things are wrong and what they can do to you and your chances for a happy adulthood.

Kids who drink smell/act like adults who drink. Kids who smoke smell/act like adults that smoke.

When your kid comes home on a Friday night, be there and take a good whiff.

#32 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:14 PM

SecondWind,

Do you have an understanding or opinion as to why the problem is worse at Folsom High than in neighborhing towns??

#33 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Mar 31 2004, 01:14 PM)
SecondWind,

Do you have an understanding or opinion as to why the problem is worse at Folsom High than in neighborhing towns??

I can't speak for secondwind, but personally I doubt that it is. I have no proof to back that up, though. When I went off to college, kids from all over the place told the same stories.

#34 bigsheldy

bigsheldy

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:47 PM

Just saw this topic, and I, as a junior as well can very much verify that it what Folsomjunior is true. It happens and will continue to happen unless the parents intervene. Do you not see the commercials on tv? Do you not see the drug related deaths in the news? Do you not understand the concept of teen pregnancy? Oh, and for that 'dave' person, your posts are not only moronic, but ignorant as well. It seems as if you're in denial as to what happens, surely we would know what happens at our school better than you would, right?

Also, you cannot 'find out where he lives' because he posts on a message board. The administrators may be able to, but like he said, what would be the point? Are you trying to threaten him? Get off your high horse and wake up to the America of today.
user posted image

#35 secondwind

secondwind

Veteran

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Mar 31 2004, 01:14 PM)
SecondWind,

I sure do -
Affluent Parents and wannna bees- have less time and more money---
for the Drugs and Drinking - it is MONEY_ available to the kids and in their pockets- - Simple fact in today's age of affluent parents that have little ( or not enough) time to supervise the kids so they put dollars in their pockets to keep them entertained.. and often this is where it all starts-
And Drinkng and Drugs- do lead to more Sexual activity-- not that they need an excuse-,,,, Again - with less parental education and supervision it is all to be expected in today's society- - but should not be tolerated and should have programs in place ( as some schools do) to attempt to abate the situations....

Cheers cool.gif
Secondwind

#36 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

Piggybacking on secondwind's post, I firmly believe that parents' deep involvement with their teens is crucial to preventing many of these dangerous behaviors. And if teens do make poor choices, parents need to be present to support their children through difficult times.

However, there is a policy in the Folsom Cordova Unified School District which makes it more difficult for parents to be involved. This policy, which allows students as young as 12 years of age to be released from school for confidential medical appoints without a parent's knowledge or consent, makes the school party to deception of parents. It threatens a parent's ability to guide and help their children. (For more background information on this policy, please refer to the thread entitled "Children Can Leave School Without....")

There is a SCHOOL BOARD MEETING TOMORROW, THURS., 4/1 at 6:00 pm at FOLSOM HIGH SCHOOL. Please come and express your concerns to the board about this dangerous policy. If you are concerned but not able to attend, please email the Board Trustees. (Email addresses can be found in the thread referenced in the previous paragraph.)

The solution to the problems of alcohol, drugs, sex in our schools is bigger than family-friendly policy-making. But without question, this policy allowing the release of students from campus behind a parent's back MUST CHANGE. It is a bare minimum.

#37 Teresa Stanley

Teresa Stanley

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:00 PM

Some facts, for your perusal (these are self-reported statistics that are districtwide and not just for FHS):

Grade 9:.......................In their lives..............Within 30 days.....Statewide

Alcohol use........................43%...........................24%...................48%
Inhalants..........................10%..............................4%.....................9%
Marijuana..........................25%...........................13%...................24%
Methamphetamine..............6%.............................1%.....................3%
Abstinence........................52%.....................................................38%
Offered Illegal Drugs
.....On School Campus
.....In the Past Year..........31%

Grade 11:.....................In their lives...........Within 30 days.....Statewide

Alcohol use........................65%.............................37%................65%
Inhalants...........................10%..............................2%................13%
Marijuana..........................40%.............................17%................44%
Methamphetamine..............9%...............................2%.................9%
Abstinence........................31%....................................................32%
Offered Illegal Drugs
.....On School Campus
.....In the Past Year..........33%

There will be a forum (as stevethedad noted) on this topic at Mills Middle School on Tuesday, May 25, from 7-9 p.m.

There will be a forum on this topic at Folsom High Theater on Wednesday, May 26, from 7-9 p.m.

#38 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:11 PM

I agree with forumreader and slowthegrowth.

I came from a culture that take a whole village to raise a child.

I don't deny the facts that kids do drugs and had sex. Some DO and some DON'T.

I don't bury my head in the sand. I came to this country when I was 14 year old and yes I smoked weeds (hmmmmm gooood). Was too ugly to get high school dates so the "other truth" is out the window. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif , so I smoked more weeds........

I have an older sister who got caught in the drug-sex-and-rock n roll world of the mid 70's, who never was able to get out of it. She was a straight A's student, graduated high school and was on drug ALL her life, got pregnant. You know - the whole nine yard. She's still in jail somewhere in San Diego, 47 year old homeless. My parents still are heart broken about this whole thing.

Bottomline - give your kids love, care, be involved with them 110%, and hope for the best. If something do go wrong with them, help them. DONE. Now let's go have a beer.

#39 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:12 PM

So much for Nancy Regan's "Just Say No" program

#40 FolsomJunior00

FolsomJunior00

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:59 PM

It seems like a lot of you understand the problem at the school. Im not gunna say im popular, but i know many people at the high school, because i am involved in many activities. And constently, im invited or hear about parties where drugs and alcohol is rampant. And, for your viewing pleasure, pick up the Folsom Telegraph, and take a look of how many kids were arrested for Weed possesion at Folsom High. Didnt see the issue this week, but usually there is always one or two kids that are arrested. Its not a "simple" problem where parents can run and hide, or blame someone else, like they usually do for their kids problems. No, people need to see the growing problem. heck, talk to your kids, if you can. Its worth it

And no, Dave, im not a troll. If i were a troll i would be saying how bad folsom sucks and all that
" I am not going to sit on my @$$ as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it." -Cameron, "Ferris Bueler's Day Off"

#41 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:40 PM

It looks like only 33% of your fellow juniors were offered drugs within the past year. I say "only" because it's less than you suggest, not because it's a small number.

Some of the numbers are alarmingly high. My daughter says she hears lots of classmates bragging that they lied on the self-reporting survey the school gives.

I'll take your advice and keep a close eye on my own kids.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#42 dave

dave

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:13 PM

Okay, FolsomJunior00. You sound more like it now. And you appear to be trying to be helpful. That is appreciated.

Your first post just sounded like you were messing with people, combined with your other topic's post.

Your assertion isn't that surprising to some of us, other than your numbers are high according to surveys.

I went to high school in the post-hippie swinging 70's before Herpes and AIDS and drug dogs and locker searches got in kid's way. Parents were really clueless then. Now, most parents know exactly of what you speak.

#43 FolsomJunior00

FolsomJunior00

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:43 PM

I hope people really figure out when i am joking and when im being serious. I mean, do i really need to put a goofy face ext to the post to make them understand its a joke?

As for this topic, its in all seriousness. Folsom High School, for such a clean image (well, before the "alleged"rape, and i said alleged because i dont think it happned) the school is mighty dirty
" I am not going to sit on my @$$ as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it." -Cameron, "Ferris Bueler's Day Off"

#44 longgone

longgone

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:16 PM

Maybe the authorities, SOMEONE, should pay attention to everyone if they want to get things right!

#45 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:30 AM

folsomJr sounds "real" now. I appreciate your information Jr. !!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users