CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

Let the investigation begin....

Bush and Congress to investigate relief effort
By Edward Alden and Christopher Swann in Washington and Guy,Dinmore in New Orleans
Published: September 7 2005 03:00 | Last updated: September 7 2005 03:00
http://news.ft.com/c...000e2511c8.html

President George W. Bush and members of Congress yesterday promised full investigations into the slow government response to Hurricane Katrina, with Mr Bush suggesting that "bureaucratic obstacles" from state and local officials were partly to blame.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#182 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

Et Tu Brutus?

Republicans blast response to Katrina
BY PHILIP DINE
Post-Dispatch Washington Bureau
09/06/2005
http://www.stltoday....4E?OpenDocument

WASHINGTON - Republican members of Congress from the St. Louis area are sharply questioning the leadership of President George W. Bush and his administration's ability to protect the nation in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Their concerns range from the slow response by federal agencies to the catastrophe in New Orleans to the president's actions in the days following the levee breaches that flooded the city a week ago.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

#183 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:18 PM

folks - this topic has gotten totally political in nature. I will close this thread if it just ends up as political bickering.

Costco - my first and only warning - post another link to another article, and I will delete every link you have on this thread. You are dangerously close to your "no agenda posting (#4)" in our politics boards.

#184 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:03 AM

You all may have touched on this while I was out of town, but does anyone else find it pathetic when the local TV news people say things like "could Sacramento flood?" and "could a levee break happen *here* in the Sacramento Delta?"

Ummm, you mean like it did last year? And dozens of times in the city's/region's history? I'm guesing they're new to the delta or something.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#185 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(john @ Sep 7 2005, 12:18 AM)
folks - this topic has gotten totally political in nature. I will close this thread if it just ends up as political bickering.

Costco - my first and only warning - post another link to another article, and I will delete every link you have on this thread. You are dangerously close to your "no agenda posting (#4)" in our politics boards.

View Post

What happened to 3 strikes?

Last time I checked, government consisted of Democrats and Republicans at all levels, federal, state and local, and the slow government response is definitely part of the Katrina story - just turn on a TV (any channel) or pick up a newspaper.

At all levels, both parties admit the response has been slow/inadequate. Bush himself admits it.

Here's rule #4

4. No flooding the boards with propaganda (excessive new threads all about why Bush is an idiot, etc)

1. Who is posting that Bush is an idiot?
2. What new threads?
3. What propaganda? All of this information is readily available on Yahoo, CNN, Fox, NBC, ABC, etc. (Both left and right - Reps and Dems are talking about these issues)
prop·a·gan·da
1. The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.
2. Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda.

If I'm being accused, I'd like to know what I'm being accused of. Could you take a look at the story lines I've posted below and specify which are the ones that are a problem? I'd like to understand what makes me so 'dangerously close', and why I merit a single warning against your own rules?

First, I want to make new rules. These rules will be enforced by a "3 strike" rule. First strike, you get a warning. 2nd strike, you get warned again and a 10-day suspension. 3 strikes, you are banned from the forums. Period.

-Republicans blast response to Katrina
-Bush and Congress to investigate relief effort
-Mexican Army Convoys Bringing Aid to U.S.
-Racism charges fly at Bush over New Orleans disaster
-Hurricane fallout hurts Bush, could hurt Republicans
-Bush to Seek $40B for Next Katrina Phase
-Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor (top Yahoo most e.mailed)
-Displacement Of Historic Proportions
-Katrina could prompt new black "great migration"
-Katrina response prompts questions of race in U.S
-Qatar gives 100 million dollars for US hurricane relief
-50 countries offer US aid after Katrina
-Bush Sends More Than 7,000 Troops to Gulf
-Mississippians' Suffering Overshadowed
-U.S. spy satellites aid Hurricane Katrina recovery
-New Orleans in Anarchy With Fights, Rapes
-Venezuela's Chavez hopes to better US relations
-Brace for more Katrinas, say experts
-New Orleans Braces for Powerful Katrina
-- Albert Einstein--

#186 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

Costco, I am accusing you of spamming our board with links, links, articles, links. We are here to DISCUSS, not to post links to things. We all know how to surf the internet. Almost all of your posts are links to other articles. Why don't you type for a few minutes on what YOU think, not cut and paste an article.

You asked about the "3 strikes rules", you are close to your 'first strike'. You have no strikes right now but if you post another article, it's strike 1. Capeche?

#187 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(john @ Sep 7 2005, 01:04 PM)
You asked about the "3 strikes rules", you are close to your 'first strike'. You have no strikes right now but if you post another article, it's strike 1. Capeche?

View Post

user posted image
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#188 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(nhardy @ Sep 7 2005, 01:38 PM)
user posted image

View Post

rofl.gif

I didn't know John had such a large bill smile.gif

"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#189 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(john @ Sep 7 2005, 01:04 PM)
Costco, I am accusing you of spamming our board with links, links, articles, links. We are here to DISCUSS, not to post links to things. We all know how to surf the internet. Almost all of your posts are links to other articles. Why don't you type for a few minutes on what YOU think, not cut and paste an article.

View Post

Oh is that all? You just want to know what I think... ok... Hmm, lets see.

I think mother nature did the initial damage and the levees added to that. Mankind will take care of doing the rest of the damage.

I think our government failed to respond in an adequate and timely manner to its people in a time of need/crisis.

I think your warning related to "no cutting/pasting of articles", but what you said was, "agenda posting".

EDITED

I think those that follow a political party blindly are lemmings.

I think it is our job as citizens of this great nation to question our leaders, specially when they don't adequately respond to the needs of the American people in a timely manner.
-- Albert Einstein--

#190 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

^ Hey, that's what this thread needs... thank you. This makes it worth reading. smile.gif

#191 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

I see a certain section was edited. Since you took it out I assume you don't want it mentioned, but I'll ask without making reference to the subject matter.

Are those the watered down banal type responses you really want for your forum?

Just replace that user's name with YabYum, 7-11, Dave, etc. and look at the content of the posts.

Do you really want just a forum that has commentaries without value/substance?

After all, that's one of the reasons that some have been banned.

On many occasions, this moderator just follows the opinions of others. From what I've observed, this is the only moderator on myfolsom to do so.

I may not agree with the positions of the other moderators, but at least they have their own positions on issues and express them. They don't rely on the responses of others and then just imitate or second those responses.

-- Albert Einstein--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users