190 replies to this topic

#16 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

NO is F'd up BAD...seriously, check around. MUCH worse than they thought.

#17 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Aug 30 2005, 09:27 AM)
NO is F'd up BAD...seriously, check around. MUCH worse than they thought.

View Post

Yep - the levees broke last night, so the flooding is actually worse today than yesterday.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#18 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(randb @ Aug 30 2005, 07:04 AM)
I wonder how many countries will be providing aid to the US in the aftermath of this natural disaster.

View Post

About as many as people helping Bill Gates if his house got destroyed/flooded.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#19 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Aug 30 2005, 08:10 AM)
Yeah, it's strange. I don't remember the last hurricane to hit the east/southeast coast. The big ones have all been going up the gulf it seems.

View Post

I meant all of the southeaster U.S.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

#20 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

I have a friend who lives with her family in Pensacola. They went through Ivan last year, and fortunately, no damage to their home, but their cousin's was destroyed. She runs a retirement home just over the border in Gulf Shore, Alabama, and they had to ride Ivan out there because they couldn't evacuate their residents. Pretty scary stuff.

Then just a few weeks ago, along came Dennis, straight at them. Again, due to a last-minute zig, Dennis didn't hit them head-on, and they survived.

I e-mailed her yesterday, and got my reply back this morning. She said they are all fine, but they have no power, everything is flooded, and they don't know when it will be back on.

I think they've had more than their fair share in that area. Everyone down there is in my thoughts and prayers. I can't even imagine how awful it must be.
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#21 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(CostcoLover @ Aug 30 2005, 11:39 AM)
About as many as people helping Bill Gates if his house got destroyed/flooded.

View Post

Yup, those damn rich people. They deserve no help if tragedy strikes them. Who needs all those jobs they create anyway.

#22 MemphisGirl

MemphisGirl

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:35 PM

Katrina was a tropical storm by the time it hit us. Memphis lost power to 70,000 residents. Downtown had a lot of flooding and the streets were riddle with debris and downed trees. Most of Memphis schools were closed today due to flooding and such.

We actually live in Germantown, 15 minutes outside of Memphis. Our roof sprang a leak last night and we woke up to a yard littered with leaves and small branches, a broken flag pole and a swimming pool an inch or so from cresting. But we consider ourselves fortunate after seeing the devastation our neighboring states suffered! We will have to deal with a few tornado warnings over the next few days but all in all, we're very lucky!

#23 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

Looks like it's bad going to worse......

Governor: Rest Of New Orleans Needs To Be Evacuated
Police in New Orleans say there are hundreds of people still on rooftops in the
city, waiting for rescue.

MORE DETAILS: http://treets.kcra.c...?l=59104594&t=1
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#24 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(randb @ Aug 30 2005, 01:15 PM)
Yup, those damn rich people.  They deserve no help if tragedy strikes them.  Who needs all those jobs they create anyway.

View Post

We're big boys on the world scene, we can take care of ourselves, and the world knows it.

-- Albert Einstein--

#25 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Aug 30 2005, 06:27 AM)
Probably no other countries will help us.

View Post

i hope other countries help out. The US always helps in a big way when something like this happens elsewhere.

I hope everyone that can will help out own people in some way.

Red Cross or Salvation Army
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#26 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

Don't think they can take another direct hit in LA.

Brace for more Katrinas, say experts
Tue Aug 30,10:55 AM ET
http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

PARIS (AFP) - For all its numbing ferocity, Hurricane Katrina will not be a unique event, say scientists, who say that global warming appears to be pumping up the power of big Atlantic storms.

2005 is on track to be the worst-ever year for hurricanes, according to experts measuring ocean temperatures and trade winds -- the two big factors that breed these storms in the Caribbean and tropical North Atlantic.

Earlier this month, Tropical Storm Risk, a London-based consortium of experts, predicted that the region would see 22 tropical storms during the six-month June-November season, the most ever recorded and more than twice the average annual tally since records began in 1851.

Seven of these storms would strike the United States, of which three would be hurricanes, it said.

Already, 2004 and 2003 were exceptional years: they marked the highest two-year totals ever recorded for overall hurricane activity in the North Atlantic.
-- Albert Einstein--

#27 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(CostcoLover @ Aug 30 2005, 04:21 PM)
Don't think they can take another direct hit in LA.

Brace for more Katrinas, say experts
Tue Aug 30,10:55 AM ET
http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

PARIS (AFP) - For all its numbing ferocity, Hurricane Katrina will not be a unique event, say scientists, who say that global warming appears to be pumping up the power of big Atlantic storms.

2005 is on track to be the worst-ever year for hurricanes, according to experts measuring ocean temperatures and trade winds -- the two big factors that breed these storms in the Caribbean and tropical North Atlantic.

Earlier this month, Tropical Storm Risk, a London-based consortium of experts, predicted that the region would see 22 tropical storms during the six-month June-November season, the most ever recorded and more than twice the average annual tally since records began in 1851.

Seven of these storms would strike the United States, of which three would be hurricanes, it said.

Already, 2004 and 2003 were exceptional years: they marked the highest two-year totals ever recorded for overall hurricane activity in the North Atlantic.

View Post

we've been keeping records for how many years now? earth has been around for how many years now?

i seriously doubt we can project/predict future earth events. we just can't extrapolate 150 years of data over millions of years of actual events.

maybe these events happen every 200 year and we just haven't figured that out yet. maybe they're every 500 years. we don't know.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#28 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

One tourist called the French Quarter like Bagdah as she snapped photos of looters.

The historic French Quarter appeared to have been spared the worst flooding, but its stores were getting the worst of human nature.

"The looting is out of control. The French Quarter has been attacked," Councilwoman Jackie Clarkson said. "We're using exhausted, scarce police to control looting when they should be used for search and rescue while we still have people on rooftops."

As Sen. Mary Landrieu (news, bio, voting record) flew over the area by helicopter, a group of people smashed a window at a convenience store and jumped in.

At a drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers. One looter shot and wounded a fellow looter, who was taken to a hospital and survived.

http://news.yahoo.co...ina_new_orleans

#29 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

Floodwaters engulfed much of New Orleans on Tuesday as officials feared a steep death toll and planned to evacuate thousands remaining in shelters after the historic city's defenses were breached by Hurricane Katrina.

With water from nearby Lake Pontchartrain rising throughout the city of 500,000 people after an overnight break in at least two protective levees, rescuers plucked people from roofs, bodies were seen floating in the streets and the famous French Quarter was threatened.

"We probably have 80 percent of our city under water; with some sections of our city the water is as deep as 20 feet (7 meters). Both airports are underwater," Mayor Ray Nagin said in a radio interview.

Nagin added he expected the death toll to be significant.

"This is catastrophic," Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said.

http://news.yahoo.co...a_neworleans_dc

#30 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Brett911 @ Aug 30 2005, 04:25 PM)
earth has been around for how many years now? 

View Post

I believe that's 6,000. smile.gif
-- Albert Einstein--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users