• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

A few days ago riding from Sutter Street to Orangevale, about halfway along the Greenback greenbelt, I saw a deer carcass on the shoulder. A few dozen yards further on there was a watch-out-for-deer sign on the shoulder. Both presumably knocked down by cars, though not the same one. Both now invisible to traffic.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#2 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I live near there and have seen deer on multiple occasions this past month. Once, there were three grazing down in the grass between Greenback and Negro Bar, and I have seen a few that have been hit too. I don't think people are expecting them there... The sign should be reinstalled - so drivers can at least be made aware.

#3 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Because of the current warm snap and the short winter daylight, I've been seeing a lot of people riding in the dark. Sans lights or even reflectors. Stay safe out there - be visible on the road, or keep to the trails.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

The deer are moving right now, heading back down to the Lake Natoma greenbelt for breeding season. I saw three big bucks this morning down by the river that I haven't seen for months. so are the turkeys. If everyone loves to see wildlife down along the lake, then please be mindful and brake for these animals. It's the lease we can do.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Here's a lady that believes the cause is the placement of these deer crossing signs.

#6 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

It always saddens me to see nature killed in these types of accidents. We always talk about sharing the road (ie - cars and bikes). But we never really talk about how to avoid accidents with nature and how we should share our habitat (in a more general sense beyond just roads, but also urban development etc). My idiot neighbor built a detached garage next to his 7000+ sq foot house -- the garage is bigger than my house. This garage sits where dozens of oak trees used to be, including all the wildlife that inhabited that area.

So, he cut down dozens of oaks, displaced wildlife (or killed them in the process) and I have a nice view of a stinking garage just so he can garage his boat. I hate people.

Here's a lady that believes the cause is the placement of these deer crossing signs.

These are people who vote.....

#7 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Stupidity is alive and thriving.

#8 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I've ran over one animal in all my years of driving, it darted out so fast in a residental area I had no time to react. That taught me a lesson. If I have time to react, odds are I don't need to and I won't hit the animal anyway. I've watched many a squirrel run across the road in front of me and by me doing nothing to avoid them, they make it across without me hitting them and I haven't done something stupid like cause an accident by reacting when no reaction was required.

#9 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Because of the current warm snap and the short winter daylight, I've been seeing a lot of people riding in the dark. Sans lights or even reflectors. Stay safe out there - be visible on the road, or keep to the trails.

Don't ride the trails after dark without lights and reflectors; that's just as dangerous. At least almost all cars will have lights and therefore a fighting chance of seeing you if you don't; on the bike trail, if you don't have lights, you are likely to run into or be run into by any number of other unlit people, animals or inanimate objects.BTW, no, I'm not suggesting that it is safe nor a good idea to ride on the road without lights AND reflectors, only that the same applies on the trails, too.

#10 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

let's do a scientific study.

get 200 riders, have 100 of them dress in reflective clothing and ride bicycles with head lights and tail lights on at night for 30 days.

The other 100 are to ride bicycles painted flat black, wear black non-reflective clothing, and no lights on their bicycles, and they ride around at night for 30 days as well.

Do I have any volunteers for the "black" group?

#11 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I wish more cyclists were like chris v,, Tony and Darth - considerate, reflective and illuminated vs Logan's Study Sample B which we see too frequently.

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

How Flipping DUMB...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#13 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Tony wants to make sure everyone is following the rules, and that the rules support everyone. That's fine. I don't always agree with him about everything but he's a tireless advocate and I respect him a lot for it. Commuters pretty much know what they're doing and are prepared - whether or not they're strictly legal. I'm not sure if it's even legal to be on the trails between sunset and sunrise - the park is closed, right? - but at least you're not going to get hit by a truck. The family I saw that prompted me to post were recreational, not daily cyclists, taking advantage of the nice weather to have a family outing, and obviously got caught out after sunset. They were on Greenback headed back to (probably) ARC from (probably) Dairy Queen, riding carefully enough, but they weren't prepared. The mom was obviously freaked out a bit.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm not sure if it's even legal to be on the trails between sunset and sunrise - the park is closed, right? -

correct. lake natoma and the parkway, including the bike trail, is closed from sunset to sunrise
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

correct. lake natoma and the parkway, including the bike trail, is closed from sunset to sunrise

ehhh, who cares? it's way more fun to ride in the dark, there is no traffic, and your chances of getting hit by a wannabe lance armstrong are significantly less

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users