8 replies to this topic

#1 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

Our heater decided to stop working Wednesday night. Lazy thing. Actually, it went on the same strike 2 years ago last month, on a Sunday. By Monday, it was working again, so we just forgot about it. Until yesterday morning, when we woke up freezing and cursing.

On to myfolsom.com to check out recs for HVAC folk (where else would we go?).

So, here's my advice (and sad news): Check the contractor license info, and you'll find that most of the companies that have been recommended here in the past have suspended licenses and/or no bonds. sad.gif

Here are a few samples:

Alley & Co, #675403: License and bond are active. However, two disciplinary actions are pending (one each in the form of a "citation" and "accusation").

Alex, from Galex Heating, #824764: License is suspended for failure to comply with an oustanding civil judgment, and under "Contractors Bond Suspension".

Jim Thomson, Thomson Mechanical, #582459 : License is suspended for failure to resolve an oustanding final liability from the FTB, and under "Contractors Bond Suspension".

Now I realize that these things happen as part of doing business, but we feel more comfortable going with someone who currently has a "clean" record. We called Rick (Richard) White, of the Air Company. Unfortunately he doesn't do out-of-warranty repairs. Fortunately, he did have someone he recommended:

David Rogers, #585643: Current license and bond, no issues pending. We called him, liked him, set up an appointment. He came on time (called first to let us know he was leaving his previous appointment), and our heater is now working. We paid only the minimum trip charge (which isn't so minimum these days, but it was similar to others we had called). Based on his bonding history, he has over 18 years of experience. (And based on watching him work, he certainly knows what he's doing.) Highly recommended!

#2 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Lots of good guys and lots of funny business in the hvac world. Tough to sort through the chaff to find the wheat.

I looked through this site last year when we had a new heating and a/c system put in. Called everyone that was recommended and a few other guys. I felt more like I was dealing with used car salesmen than appliance people.

I finally ended up with Clarke & Rush. Poor experience in general.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd get a decent inexpensive system installed by a factory authorized reseller, probably a Goodman and go for the lowest price. I'd make sure a 10 year factory transferable parts and labor warranty.

That way if anything goes wrong with the install or with the unit for the next 10 years, its on the manufacturer to make it right, and if the installer turns out to stink, you can move the warranty to another company.

A possibly good option for finding someone to do a repair or install is to go to www.hvac-talk.com and ask if any of the contractors there work in the Sacramento/Folsom area. Most of the contractors there are pretty sharp and if you post about a bad experience with one of them the rest of the contractors will jump on their back about it. Kind of a tough crowd over there.

Kanda's post is good advice. Always check contractors licenses out and make sure you check references. Also check the BBB ratings and throw back any companies with issues, even if they "made it right" by the BBB. That they got as far as having a complaint filed meant they ticked off a customer and didnt work it out with them until the BBB stepped in...and the BBB also closes a lot of complaints in favor of the business even if the customer isnt particularly satisfied. Especially if the business is a paying member of the BBB.

#3 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(kanda @ Dec 5 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post
So, here's my advice (and sad news): Check the contractor license info, and you'll find that most of the companies that have been recommended here in the past have suspended licenses and/or no bonds. sad.gif

Good info, thanks for posting.

One more referral here for Gilmore Heating and Air (lic 559305 - checks out clean on the CSLB website). They replaced my AC and Coil over the summer. We had some issues with refrigerant loss and they came back multiple times and spent a lot of extra time and effort to figure things out. It turned out to be a leak in the new coil, which they replaced.

While the whole affair did not go so smoothly on account of the bad part, their courtesy and service was outstanding. They clearly knew what they were doing, but had a tricky and lengthy process of elimination to deal with.

To make up for the inconvenience, they threw in an extra year of maintenance, and even replaced an expensive damper motor that had nothing to do with their installation.

While it's easy to look good when things are going well, true character shines through when problems arise. These guys did good.

Highly recommended.

#4 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

We just use Beutler when needed (nothing serious to date, just minor stuff). They were the original subcontractor when the builder built our house.

Although the system is undersized and cheap (builder's choice), Beutler has been friendly and helpful to date.

#5 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(kanda @ Dec 5 2008, 04:47 PM) View Post
Our heater decided to stop working Wednesday night. Lazy thing. Actually, it went on the same strike 2 years ago last month, on a Sunday. By Monday, it was working again, so we just forgot about it. Until yesterday morning, when we woke up freezing and cursing.

On to myfolsom.com to check out recs for HVAC folk (where else would we go?).

Also, stay away from Home Depot, they are just a marketing lead referral and have no ability to help or effect any issues with the subs they refer you to.

#6 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

I'm not certain, but I think the Folsom Home Depot works with Brower Mechanical.

The contractor pool that home depot, lowes and other referrals use is generally people who are discounting their work to the referral company, who then adds a profit margin. So the contractor is going to try to do the job as fast as they can and cut any corners possible. Many times its a new company or a 1-2 man shop.

#7 driver

driver

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(tsukiji @ Dec 6 2008, 09:26 AM) View Post
We just use Beutler when needed (nothing serious to date, just minor stuff). They were the original subcontractor when the builder built our house.

Although the system is undersized and cheap (builder's choice), Beutler has been friendly and helpful to date.

Talking about Beutler...
We have builder warranty ending up soon and got warranty offer from Beutler.

6 years - 999$ (warranty only) and 2259$ (warranty +maintenance)

Can anyone comment on these offers please.
I've heard about warranty plans as not reliable and in most cases warranty companies will show you fine print in the warranty showing it's not covered or having deductible...

Appreciate your comments,
Driver

#8 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(driver @ Dec 6 2008, 10:57 PM) View Post
Can anyone comment on these offers please.
I've heard about warranty plans as not reliable and in most cases warranty companies will show you fine print in the warranty showing it's not covered or having deductible...

Heres the thing with HVAC warranties. Most dont cover a failure unless you've had maintenance annually, sometimes twice in a year to both the a/c and heating components.

Truth be told, for modern heating and air conditioning equipment, other than changing the filters, keeping the leaves out of the a/c unit and rinsing the dirt off the cooling fins in the a/c unit, there isnt a lot of maintenance. Older units required some motor oiling, cleaning of the flame sensor, and a few other things every year or two or three. Maybe once in a while retightening all the electrical connections.

I know more than a couple of well seasoned HVAC contractors who dont do any 'maintenance' of their units other than what I mentioned above, arguing that there is more room for screwing things up by taking everything apart and poking and prodding it.

I think its a good idea to have your system looked at every 5 years or so though. Make sure the heat exchangers arent cracked, there are a few parts in many air conditioners that are similar to the old 'points' in a car distributor that can wear out after 10-12 years, etc.

That having been said, $1000 for a 6 year warranty isnt a super bargain but its a fair price. The $2600 isnt anything special since you can get a maintenance check for well under $100. A replacement of a major part in a furnace or air conditioner can easily run to $3000+ with parts and labor. In some cases, replacing something like a variable speed fan can cost more than buying a new furnace with the same fan in it.

Most HVAC companies dont make a lot of money selling and installing new units. They make it on the maintenance and repair end.

#9 driver

driver

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the comment, bunny.
Do I understand correct from your comment, that 1000$ maintenance is ok price, however when it will come to fixes the company will decline most of my claims, since I din't have the maintance package for 2259$?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users