Photo
- - - - -

Poison Oak & Sumac- Are They Common On Folsom Trails ?

poison oak

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

I have been walking the Folsom trails much more recently and have wondered if Poison Oak or Poison Sumac are common next to or off trail in this area.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 rip

rip

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Poison oak is very common.  Easy to get into it if you aren't aware. 

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

yes, LOTS of poison oak. and it loves to grow right on the trail edge.  look for the distinctive lobbed leaves and learn it well. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Good map:

http://www.zanfel.co...-prevalence.pdf

#5 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Poison oak everywhere in Folsom. And I can't seem to stay out of it. Currently have it all over my legs.

#6 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

is it always a three leaf affair ?   I see a lot of what looks like berries as they have more than three leaves and are cut edge and not lobed.  Is this accurate ?  - Reason I ask is that I sometimes find a small path off the regular one and have and want to travel the little paths to wherever they lead sometimes...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#7 rip

rip

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

No berries, smooth, shiny leaves, typically in 3 leaf clusters.  The old saying "Leaves of three, leave it be;" will serve you well around here.  Had some on my arm so bad this spring (mountain bike ride near Browns Ravine) had to go to the doc and get steroids to clear it up.  Nasty stuff.

#8 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

It is much easier to spot when it gets huge and red.  Right now it is green and blends in better.  Leaves of three is a good rule.  And be careful about touching clothes after a walk.  You can get it from the oils that stay on clothing.

#9 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

I believe sumac is on east coast.  PO is our burden. Leaves of 3, let it be.

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

It is much easier to spot when it gets huge and red.  Right now it is green and blends in better.  Leaves of three is a good rule.  And be careful about touching clothes after a walk.  You can get it from the oils that stay on clothing.

this.  my mother used to get it just by washing her clothes with my dad's after he had been clearing brush.  he didnt get it so he didnt stay out of it.  my mom got it horribly, and got it just from their clothes washing together.  also, no one is going to feel good if they get the smoke from burning poison oak in their lungs.  ugh.  that is rough.  right now i think the oils are even more abundant on the leaves so its super potent.  not that it isn't all year.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:12 AM

http://www.zanfel.co...lp/rashfaq.html

Comes with a map that shows where each of the types of poison are proliferant. 

Has a nice description of myths and truths about the poisons.

BTW:

4) Do not burn any suspicious plants.
    Burning the problematic plant and inhaling its smoke can cause a systemic reaction, which can be deadly. Also, do not burn
    items of clothing or rags that may have been exposed.

This happened to me as a kid. I inhaled burning poison oak from our furnace one weekend when cleaning the pastures of unwanted weeds the goats wouldn't eat. 

if you can imagine how uncomcomfortable poison oak is on the outside of your skin- imagine it in your throat and eyes..

#12 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

We have poison oak all throughout the foothills here in CA.  Its fairly abundant. I seem to catch it just by looking at it.  Hate that stuff...  Got it so bad one time in my 20s due to a mountain biking accident in 100* heat wearing no shirt, went over the bars and landed in a bush.  Was in the ER the next day getting cortisone shots.  No fun...

Even in the winter time when there are no leaves I have gotten it by brushing up against the bare stems.

On the other hand I know people who can grab it by the handfuls and doesn't affect them one bit. 

#13 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

I break out very badly when I get into poison oak. I couldn't find out where I was getting into it because I never saw it in the back yard.

The guy that sprays our front and back yard saw it and pointed it out to me. We just had someone re-landscape our front and back yards and they found

the poison oak and got rid of it for now.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#14 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

We need goats, lots and lots of goats.  They love the stuff.

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

#1 rule for people with dogs

Don't let your dog off leash near bike paths in Folsom. Poison oak grows just as abundantly as fire weed.

#2 rule for people who break #1 rule

Don't pet your dog - take it through a park and wash (there is one on Folsom Blvd) and bring enough dog shampoo to lather up the southern tip of France.

#3 rule for people who have goats that you think are eating your poison oak

They really aren't. They are actually laying down in it- rubbing themselves all up in that poison oak oil and then running straight to your laundry machines and immersing themselves in all your white cotton socks. So don't forget to bleach the socks when you are done messing around in the back yard!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users