8 replies to this topic

#1 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

My key became stuck in a deadbolt even though I can turn and lock the deadbolt from the inside. Does anyone have a recommendation for a locksmith who might be able to repair the lock and get it working again?  Or is it history and must be replaced?

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

Not sure what the current charges are for a locksmith, but I found in the past it was far cheaper to replace the deadbolt than to have a locksmith come out and try to get the key out.    It did, however,  mess up the unity of having all the house locks keyed the same.

I tried to for years after to figure how to get the key out of the lock (hoping to use it for another purpose), but it was stuck for good.

A couple of suggestions that you may have already tried that have worked on other locks in the past:

-WD40

-Use a vibrator on the key/ lock

- take the lock apart and try to work it from inside

-find the "young boy who is destined to be King Arthur" that took the sword out of the stone...:)

Good Luck-

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

I always use Nolan's Discount Mobile Locksmith.  Folsom native and highly reliable.  Good luck.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:46 PM

Locks are pretty easy to disassemble.Try that first. Two screws on the inside of the door and two screws on the side of the door. Once you have it out, you should be able to see how it works pretty easily. If you have to take it completely apart because of a dropped pin, be very careful as the "guts" have several springs and tiny pins. Nothing too tricky, just take the parts apart slowly. You can have locks rekeyed pretty easily before you install the new one if you choose to replace it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

have strips of masking tape next to you. You can use them to keep loose parts from falling out as you manipulate the locks innards while extracting the key-once you have the the two faces separated.

#6 BuffaloRon

BuffaloRon

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

Blow the lock unit out of any debris, and spray in some graphite powder and work it into the tumblers. It will take a little effort, but the key or tumbler(s) should release.

#7 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

Took the deadbolt to Nolans.  Bill spent a good hour getting it all apart only to find nothing broken, out of plac, or dirty/jammed up with gunk...Bill had no explanation for why it had become horribly stuck.  He finally got it down to parts and then rebuilt it , made 3 keys , all for just $30   Ican't say enough good about his work.  Highly recommend to anyone in need of a great locksmith.

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

Took the deadbolt to Nolans.  Bill spent a good hour getting it all apart only to find nothing broken, out of plac, or dirty/jammed up with gunk...Bill had no explanation for why it had become horribly stuck.  He finally got it down to parts and then rebuilt it , made 3 keys , all for just $30   Ican't say enough good about his work.  Highly recommend to anyone in need of a great locksmith.

see?  told ya!  :)  I wouldn't use anyone else. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

see?  told ya!  :)  I wouldn't use anyone else. 

took it to Bill before I read your post...so we're 2 for Nolans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users