Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:32 PM

My child needs help in ap calculus av..please recommend tutor..very urgent

#2 bdw

bdw

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Have you tried Mathnasium or Tutoring Club? I only know of them because I drive past their locations occasionally... So, I can't say if they're any good.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to Sierra College's math center and check the bulletin boards and/or ask around to see if any of their tutors are interested in private tutoring. Unlike high school, where students promptly graduate after completing calculus, there should be a good number of students there who've completed it. I'm sure you'll find students there who are commuting from this area, or who at least would be willing to meet in the middle for a job like this.

Last I knew, I think there were two math centers and a tutoring center at Sierra. If it's still that way, you'll want the more advanced math center.

Sierra is one of the top community colleges in the nation, and in my experience, the only real concern would be that their calculus program covers more than the high school class -- so, you'll probably want to provide the tutor with a syllabus so that they know which areas to emphasize and which to skip. (Math is math, after all... Still, some of the high school teachers can teach it in a pretty strange / non-standard way.)

Good luck! And, try to make sure your child doesn't stress... Stress only makes things worse, and one bad grade won't ever ruin one's future. Could it eliminate some top-choice schools? Sure, but that doesn't matter -- high school counselors place undue emphasis on that because it makes them look good. There are many paths to success.

#3 Realized

Realized

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

Thanks a lot...I really appreciate your advice.thankyou.

#4 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

i used to be a college calculus tutor back in the old day LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users