31 replies to this topic

#1 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

Just opened mine and it has gone up almost $900 this year (Higher than it ever has been since 2007). An increase of about 23%.  Was surprised that they raised it so much, thought I'd see if everyone was having the same experience. Thanks!

#2 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Mine went WAY up too. 

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

If you don't mind my asking, was it one particular part that went up?  I'm not looking at my tax bill right now, but there's county, city, Folsom Cordova and one or maybe two other designations I can't remember right now. 

#4 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

I don't have my last one to compare it against right now, but it looks like they've just reassessed the value so the county 1% has gone up. The assessed value went up to 396,000 when our broker just told us it would appraise for 360,000. Not sure how that corresponds.

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

I don't have my last one to compare it against right now, but it looks like they've just reassessed the value so the county 1% has gone up. The assessed value went up to 396,000 when our broker just told us it would appraise for 360,000. Not sure how that corresponds.

It might be worth looking into.  Mistakes do happen, e.g.,  all those property owners in Rancho Cordova that were taxed for fire insurance they didn't receive.

#6 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

I do not think <10% change of the assessed value from last year could cause a $900 increase in your tax.  I would definitively check into this.

On the note about the broker appraisal- since it is lower than your assessed value by the county you might look into having the country do a reassessment...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#7 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

Ours came in the mail yesterday as well. Looking at it line by line, county wide 1% went up by $260, which corresponds to the increase in assessed values. Everything else (San Juan Unified GOB, Folsom City GOB, and Los Rios Coll GOB all went down slightly. So, our overall bill increased by a little over $160.

#8 gbfolsom

gbfolsom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

I just went online to the assessor's website and mine went up $700.  :-(

#9 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

I do not think <10% change of the assessed value from last year could cause a $900 increase in your tax.  I would definitively check into this.

On the note about the broker appraisal- since it is lower than your assessed value by the county you might look into having the country do a reassessment...

The assessed value went up almost $100k. about 23%. (which amounts to a little over $900 annually with the 1%). I don't think it's an accurate assessment, I'll have to look into it. It seems like other's are experiencing large increases too though, so maybe it's trying to get back to values before the recession.

#10 (Cheesesteak)

(Cheesesteak)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

The assessed value went up almost $100k. about 23%. (which amounts to a little over $900 annually with the 1%). I don't think it's an accurate assessment, I'll have to look into it. It seems like other's are experiencing large increases too though, so maybe it's trying to get back to values before the recession.

So . . . . one thing to look into.

You may have had a Prop 8 (1978) adjustmnet (downward) in the past few years.  Proposition 8 mandates that local governments conduct "decline in value" reviews when real estate markets drop (and review is requested).  With the signifcant decline in real estate values over the past several years - many counties conducted the reassessments and many folks saw their property tax bills go down with falling home prices.

While assessments under Prop 13 are limited to 1% of assessed value and can only increase 2% per year - if you've had a Prop 8 reduction - there is no cap on how fast your property tax can increase until it reaches the prior Prop 13 value.  So - If you previsouly paid, lets say, $5,000 / year in property taxes, and the Prop 8 decline brought you down to, say $4,000 for the past couple of years - once home values increase - as they have in Folsom - if your home gets back to its original value (or more) - in that next year your property taxes can go back up to $5,000 that year.  Yes - that would mean a $1,000 increase that year.

Here's more on Prop 8 adjustments:

http://www.assessor....es/default.aspx

http://www.boe.ca.go.../faqs/prop8.htm

Not sure if that's your case - but I'm sure lots of folks are waking up to the readjustment . . . 

#11 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

I had dinner this summer with a gentleman who does the assessments for another county. When I said something about having gotten a successful reduction a few years ago he said, hang on to your hat because the counties have been instructed to review and increase the values as much as they can to increase the taxes. 

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

I am personally glad that they finally made a change to Prop 8.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#13 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

my bill went up almost $1000

Svzr2FS.jpg

#14 nomad

nomad

Living Legend