18 replies to this topic

#16 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

the historic district merchants association, right?  the FHDA.    so its good for all of us to know that they have a tax added to their property taxes.  that money is pooled together to fund maintaining the landscape, putting on events (Night of 1000 pumpkins, Christmas tree lighting, craft fairs, antique fairs, Saturday Farmers Market, ice skating rink) and promoting Sutter Street businesses.  so if everyone likes these events, please remember to support the stores and restaurants down there so they know they are appreciated.  I think people often think the City puts these things on and they don't.  It's the business owners and they pay for them.  The Chamber does Tap Folsom and Folsom Live (which are big money makers), but the FHDA only does the ones I mentioned before and none of those do much more than break even. 

support small business!! 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

Sure i support small business and encourage carnies and small tenters to drop in and sell their wares, as well. But.... I think the turn off-with the tents on the streets or at least for kidd kinda events-- is that the tents were not necesssarily kid oriented.

But what makes them kid oriented?

Kid clothes? (kids dont want to fo to an event and get sold cups, clothes or other stuff.

Have someone from the library set them on stacks of hay bales and read the 'all hallows eve legend' to them.

do apple bobbing.

horse wagon rides.

mini train rides in an old miners cart and let them pretend their miners.

have a trick or treat mini village complete with an old style bank (that needs to get robbed of all its candy ofcourse) and a jail (gotta pay to get out)

let them fill up on pumpkin pie and roasted pumkin seeds.

and for petes sake where are the carmel apples on a stick and kids running loose behind the train station?

But to answer the OP question about the little stands- naw I dont mind them. I just wish they were less about buy and more about kids having fun at these types of events.

#18 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Supermom, all great ideas. I would suggest attending a FHDA planning meeting to let them know - and I would suggest volunteering to lead one of them! They are always looking for volunteers willing to help out. The event is constantly evolving and any one of those would be a great addition to the event. :-)

#19 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

Might be fun. When I was a teen I worked in the 'entertainment' business for corporate 'family days'.

it was a day park.

We catered, carny, pool, fishing,etc- and kept the kids busy, lots of activities. It was fun. The 1000 pumpkin theme thing would be fun with teen volunteers doing the booths. Parents get a kick at watching their kids and over grown kids (teens and you wouldnt belive how many fathers act like goofs at these events) having fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users