• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Martin

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

I heard that Journey Church (next to Folsom Middle School) and two other churches in Folsom are going to start Homeless Camps.  Does anyone know anything about it?

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:52 AM

Hope not, this is why we worked harder, longer, smarter, and for many years to be able to move away from these people.   To be able to afford to live here...   Let me tell you how this works, they move in, nothing but drunken fights, cigarettes butts all over, and I mean all over, liquor bottles, used condoms, they bring their pets, so in addition to human excrement on the sidewalk, in the bushes, up against your back fence you have dog feces everywhere. Oh, and discarded trash, especially plastic bags, everywhere.  And I hope you like blue tarps made into everything from ponchos, to "stash" covers, shopping cart covers, and "houses".  Then there are all the police calls for the fights and other drunken (drugged) interactions of the "guests".  EMT's get ready, you will be there often...!  Oh, and not to mention a fire at least once a year in the bushes or trees behind the camp that threatens your home, that actually happened to me....!  Then, around the perimeter you really have to watch your step because of the discarded hypodermic needles everywhere.  And if there is a park close by say goodbye to that because you will never be able to use it again, trash, needles, and all the park tables taken up all day long by chain smoking scruffs with their animals roaming free, dogs off leash that is, and they are not so friendly.  And if you are within a few blocks of the "camp" you are going to lose a lot of property and maybe twice a year get your side window smashed on your car.  I got pretty good at going to the junkyard, finding a window, and installing it myself, a lot cheaper.  Oh, and if you are on the main street, the easiest, fastest way in and out of there get ready for lots of  speeding "visitors".   That would be their druggy friends making runs in and out with the "medicine" and the delivery of those wonderful 40 oz. bottles that will be drank in that park and discarded either whole or in a thousand pieces to make the playground in the park so much more interesting, to add to the syringes and needles in the bark already...!   Compassion...?   Oh, I left that back where I used to live around these people for so long and many years ago.  Chris

Oh, and needles in the park were here almost 20 years ago, found them in that playground bark out in back by the Zoo a long time ago, kinda near where the chain smoking homeless would hang out at the benches and tables.  Never went back there with my kids.....

Oh and again, this is a fascinating Youtube feed I have been watching just to remind me...

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

Awesome...

You would think with the number of homeless we have around these days that we were in a serious depression. Last I looked economy is doing pretty damn good. Tells you something.

#4 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

I would highly doubt that city leaders would give their OK for that. That would be committing career suicide... although they did approve S50, so I guess they could always make other stupid decisions as well.

#5 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Ask SF, San Diego and LA how embracing homeless has worked out for them.  http://www.businessinsider.com/hepatitis-a-outbreak-california-hep-2017-10  Not just crime and poo on the sidewalk, but real health hazards.

The first case connected to the current outbreak occurred in a homeless man in San Diego in November 2016. His case didn't attract health officials' attention until a few months later, however, when a pattern of similar cases clearly began to show the rumblings of an outbreak.

Officials declared an official outbreak in March 2017 as dozens of cases began to pile up in the San Diego area, far surpassing the average yearly total of just 28 recorded infections. Last month, Los Angeles County declared its own local outbreak that appears to be connected to the one in San Diego.

Many of those affected by the current outbreak are people who live on the street or use recreational drugs, no matter if those drugs are injected or consumed.

As an aside, I just did a job for a lady relocating her business after 38 years in one location. She couldn't take the homeless sleeping in her doorway and using her back door as a latrine anymore.Another aside. Anecdotal conversations and my own personal experiences indicate that the homeless are getting far more aggressive than they used to be.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Here is the info....housing up to 240 people a night spread out amongst 12 churches (they are limited to 20 homeless campers at each facility per night). http://hartoffolsom....er_summary.html

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users