• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

I take my 10 pound beagle/dachshund mix to the dog park and it's really dismaying when there are large, rambunctious dogs in the small dog side. I don't mind the big ones if they're gentle, but even if they're not vicious, they can really hurt or intimidate a small dog when they're just trying to play. If someone wants to bring a large breed puppy in, they need to keep a really close eye on it to make sure it doesn't terrorize the little guys!

Oh, and ditto on the kids...not only do I worry about their safety, but they're constantly sticking their hands in my shy dog's face or trying to grab her from behind instead of letting her go to them.

#17 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (twnkltoz @ Feb 22 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take my 10 pound beagle/dachshund mix to the dog park and it's really dismaying when there are large, rambunctious dogs in the small dog side. I don't mind the big ones if they're gentle, but even if they're not vicious, they can really hurt or intimidate a small dog when they're just trying to play. If someone wants to bring a large breed puppy in, they need to keep a really close eye on it to make sure it doesn't terrorize the little guys!

Oh, and ditto on the kids...not only do I worry about their safety, but they're constantly sticking their hands in my shy dog's face or trying to grab her from behind instead of letting her go to them.

Hey Jen,
if you have a problem, go up and talk to the owner of the large puppy. They usually are very understanding about your feelings since the only reason they are in the small dog park is their dog was being intimidated and hurt by the more rambunctious dogs in the large dog park.

#18 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (EAH @ Feb 22 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jen,
if you have a problem, go up and talk to the owner of the large puppy. They usually are very understanding about your feelings since the only reason they are in the small dog park is their dog was being intimidated and hurt by the more rambunctious dogs in the large dog park.

I'm just not a very confrontational person, although I have made remarks about it from time to time. One time we showed up and it was all big dogs, no little ones. What am I going to do, tell 6 or 8 people they all need to leave so I can bring my little dog in? Yes, that side of the park is designed for my little dog and not their big ones, but I'd still feel like a jerk. In that case, we took her for a walk around the rest of the park, and by the time we got back all the big dogs were gone and we could go in.

It's tough...I feel for people whose dogs are too big to play with the little ones but to small to play with the REALLY big ones. I guess we need a third park for medium-sized dogs. smile.gif

#19 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

we have a mini dachsund, she's probably 6-7 pounds, and a couple of times we had to leave b/c very only large dogs were in the small area. It was all dogs that were easily 50 pounds+.

Our dog is very social but she was downright shaking. Not cool!

#20 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:05 AM

I don't know why the large dogs would be on the small dog side except during that brief time when they were letting the turf on the other side rest and all dogs were supposed to go in the small dog side.

I wasn't part of the effort, but there were a lot of people that worked hard to make the dog park happen. I can only imagine what it feels like to hear all these complaints. The city barely has the dog park open as it is. I'm just happy to have one in town at all.

#21 lornaknits

lornaknits

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Knitting (teaching it, writing about it, designing it),<br />cycling, wine tasting

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

Rentals often differentiate dogs by under or over 35 lbs. Maybe it's similar standards for the dog park.

I recently saw a pit bull attack another dog on the bike trail. It was horrible.
www.lornamiserdesigns.com

#22 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Common sense - it sounds like some owners of large dogs need a bit more of it.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Feb 23 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Common sense - it sounds like some owners of large dogs need a bit more of it.

It's not so much if the dog is large as it is a matter of aggressiveness.

#24 lornaknits

lornaknits

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Knitting (teaching it, writing about it, designing it),<br />cycling, wine tasting

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Feb 23 2009, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not so much if the dog is large as it is a matter of aggressiveness.

Very true, but I'd rather face an anry teacup poodle than a pit bull!
www.lornamiserdesigns.com

#25 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

While I don't have any issues with the occasional large breed PUPPY in the small dog park as long as he is gentle, 6-7 large dogs in the small dog park is ridiculous.....and bizarre. I am sorry I was not there that day as I sadly would have no problem saying something. (sadly, because when I feel strongly about something, I seem to be unable to control my mouth, not making excuses but owning it is the first step :-) I too have 2 small dogs and my husband and I would both lose it if anything were to happen to them.

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (lornaknits @ Feb 23 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very true, but I'd rather face an anry teacup poodle than a pit bull!

I was referring to dog park behavior, but if you're talking about being attacked while out walking or jogging I agree with you. I just got jumped on by a pit bull last week while I was out running. Luckily, it didn't bite. What ticked me off is the owners who watch the dog run out and yell that they're friendly without bothering to run and retrieve their dog that is jumping on me. The owner just called them back from their doorway. I had another pit bull, different street, about a month ago bolt out from an open front door snapping and snarling. Same thing, instead of running over to retrieve it, the owner walked over.

Breed doesn't matter so much at the dog park. If you have an aggressive dog that bites or attacks, they don't belong at the dog park. I'm not meaning what is aggressive play, which some dogs enjoy and is normal dog behavior. As long as no dog goes away yelping or seeks shelter by its owner or under a bench, they are just having a good time. I've seen people at the dog park get upset if one dog barks at another. I don't think that's being very reasonable.

If I see my dog is annoying another dog I run over and pull her away until she calms down and loses interest. If that doesn't work, she's out of there.

Like davburr said, it's all just common sense. Small dogs belong on the small dog side and large dogs belong on the large dog side.

#27 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

It really does seem like common sense and common courtesy....both of which aren't very common. I wonder, though, whether there is any dog park where a 2 pound dog will really be safe. That is a TINY dog and could easily be injured by even a normal small dog.

It isn't just pit bulls or other "scary" looking dogs that can be aggressive. Just last Friday I was out for a walk in my neighborhood with my one year old English Bulldog and came across a couple walking a pair of what appeared to be Bichon's. Those two little dogs went nuts snarling and snapping while yanking on their leashes to get at my dog. For his part, my Bulldog just sort of stood there looking at them quizically as if to say "What's your problem?"...or maybe "Hey cutie, no need to be rude". Either of those Bichon's could very quickly and very seriously injure a miniature dog.

#28 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

wonder if they have had any situations where one dog gets out of line and the owners get to talking and get madder and end up in a fight.

I remeber in the old days seeing some of the most entertaining fights between parents at little league games.

#29 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Feb 23 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know why the large dogs would be on the small dog side except during that brief time when they were letting the turf on the other side rest and all dogs were supposed to go in the small dog side.

I wasn't part of the effort, but there were a lot of people that worked hard to make the dog park happen. I can only imagine what it feels like to hear all these complaints. The city barely has the dog park open as it is. I'm just happy to have one in town at all.

The only complaints I see are about people using the park in a way other than how it was intended, so how is that any kind of slight against the people who built it?

#30 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (twnkltoz @ Feb 23 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only complaints I see are about people using the park in a way other than how it was intended, so how is that any kind of slight against the people who built it?

I guess you are right. The complaints I've heard on this forum really are more related to people keeping their large/small dogs on the appropriate sides of the park.

I guess the complaints are what I've heard while being at the dog park.

"Why did they put bark there?" Which was followed by, "Why did they replace the bark with rocks?" "

They shouldn't put wading pools." Which was followed by, "Why did they take out the wading pools?"

"There aren't enough pickup bag dispensers," or "They put the pickup bag dispensers in the wrong spot."

"They should have put artificial turf instead of sod."

"The weight limit on the small dog side is too low."

It just seems like people are never happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users