• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 newsblaze

newsblaze

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:News, computers, the garden, HFRA, bagpipes, Folsom.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

Folsom Police, Folsom Fire and CHP help High School juniors understand consequences of the choices they make.

Story: Vista del Lago High School Presents `Every 15 Minutes`, DUI Crash Simulation

Alan Gray
Read Folsom news at
http://folsomlocalnews.com
Support Our Troops, Read Their Stories
at http://newsblaze.com

#2 folsomraised

folsomraised

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (newsblaze @ Apr 14 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Folsom Police, Folsom Fire and CHP help High School juniors understand consequences of the choices they make.

Story: Vista del Lago High School Presents `Every 15 Minutes`, DUI Crash Simulation

That was so awesome, I remember when I went to Folsom High and we went through that program. Very Life changing.
“You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole.”
-Billy Graham

#3 normajean

normajean

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

this program is VERY emotional and VERY effective!

any parent of a junior at vista, be ready for a phone call from your child tomorrow and thursday. the impact this has on kids is tremendous and most of them are genuinely touched and will want to share with you and will need to hear your voice.

please have your hugs ready, they are going to need them.

#4 kittykat

kittykat

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

this is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing smile.gif
simulation rachat de credit

#5 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (folsomraised @ Apr 14 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was so awesome, I remember when I went to Folsom High and we went through that program. Very Life changing.

Care to describe some of the details? Why is it a life changing event?

I never saw one of these, so I don't know what they do.
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#6 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (newsblaze @ Apr 14 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe I'm a bit thick, so I apologize - what happens every 15 minutes?

Is it some sort of traffic statistic?
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#7 normajean

normajean

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

i am not claiming to be exact, but it is close!

statistics are that in the US a teen is killed every 15 minutes by an alcohol related accident......maybe one of the kids that has attended one of these programs can give us the exact fact.

#8 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (normajean @ May 14 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

statistics are that in the US a teen is killed every 15 minutes by an alcohol related accident......maybe one of the kids that has attended one of these programs can give us the exact fact.

Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine, but I really hate it when they leave out the "on average" in the above statement.

It should read "statistics are that in the US a teen is killed on average every 15 minutes by an alcohol related accident."
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#9 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (normajean @ May 14 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have trouble with folks using statistics for public appeal as well.

Not that it isn't important to address drunk driving, I agree that it is.

But using unclear, or unsubstantiated data to prove any point or make any argument is intellectually...incorrect.

Doing the math on this, it equates to something like 840,960 teenagers killed every year by drunk drivers (15x4x24x365).

But I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Inwit @ May 11 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Care to describe some of the details? Why is it a life changing event?

I never saw one of these, so I don't know what they do.

I do not have the time right now - but trust me - for many students and the adults that attend- it can be a life changing event.

Check out some of the links in both the Youtube simulations and the program itself :
http://www.google.co...ite youtube.com
http://www.google.co...amp;btnG=Search

My Daughter was a participant and I had to write her obituary and it was read along with others at the event. It also has graphically staged simulations like some on the Youtube. Each participant( that died) goes to school but cannot talk all day...
It is very moving...

and who give a rats arse about some mathematical calculation- the program has a great effect on many of those that go through it or are at the event.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#11 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (folsom500 @ May 19 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not have the time right now - but trust me - for many students and the adults that attend- it can be a life changing event.

Check out some of the links in both the Youtube simulations and the program itself :
http://www.google.co...ite youtube.com
http://www.google.co...amp;btnG=Search

My Daughter was a participant and I had to write her obituary and it was read along with others at the event. It also has graphically staged simulations like some on the Youtube. Each participant( that died) goes to school but cannot talk all day...
It is very moving...

and who give a rats arse about some mathematical calculation- the program has a great effect on many of those that go through it or are at the event.

If your kids, or anyone's teenagers never drive drunk - nor allow themselves to be driven by someone who is drunk because of that program then that is the level of success one is looking for, and is also its measure of success.

To use inaccurate statistics to promote a program - whatever it is - is disingenuous and is an insult to the public's intelligence. The statistics quoted by the state or whomever the administrating group was are not true - regardless of their emotional impact.
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#12 Malamute

Malamute

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (FrankExchange @ May 19 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have trouble with folks using statistics for public appeal as well.

Not that it isn't important to address drunk driving, I agree that it is.

But using unclear, or unsubstantiated data to prove any point or make any argument is intellectually...incorrect.

Doing the math on this, it equates to something like 840,960 teenagers killed every year by drunk drivers (15x4x24x365).

But I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Yes, your math is wrong, by a factor of 15. Why you used 15 is beyond me. Every 15 minutes = 4 times per hour , that times 24 hours per day times 365 days per year = 35,040 deaths per year.

Actually I have no idea how you came up with 840,960 because 15x4x24x365=525,600

I hope your job doesn't require math skills.
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."
- Unknown

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies."
- Gene Hill

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."
- Unknown

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera

#13 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (Malamute @ May 19 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, your math is wrong, by a factor of 15. Why you used 15 is beyond me. Every 15 minutes = 4 times per hour , that times 24 hours per day times 365 days per year = 35,040 deaths per year.

Actually I have no idea how you came up with 840,960 because 15x4x24x365=525,600

I hope your job doesn't require math skills.

LOL - luckily it doesn't - probably why I got a a degree in the Social Sciences, math always has to be all correct and stuff.

Way off on that one, apologies.

Hmm - let's see: 4 deaths per hour x 24 hrs = 96 x 365 35,040 - like you said Mallie.

But using FARS (Fatality Analysis Reporting System) data which includes only up to 2007, there were 37,248 traffic fatalities for that year. Of the persons who were killed in traffic crashes in 2007, 32 percent died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes.

So please correct me if I'm wrong but in 2007 32% of 37,248 = 11,919 drivers killed in alcohol related deaths. Still quite a bit less than every 15 minutes.
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#14 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (FrankExchange @ May 20 2009, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL - luckily it doesn't - probably why I got a a degree in the Social Sciences, math always has to be all correct and stuff.

Way off on that one, apologies.

Hmm - let's see: 4 deaths per hour x 24 hrs = 96 x 365 35,040 - like you said Mallie.

But using FARS (Fatality Analysis Reporting System) data which includes only up to 2007, there were 37,248 traffic fatalities for that year. Of the persons who were killed in traffic crashes in 2007, 32 percent died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes.

So please correct me if I'm wrong but in 2007 32% of 37,248 = 11,919 drivers killed in alcohol related deaths. Still quite a bit less than every 15 minutes.

Wow, talk about BS exagerations. They said a teenager is killed every 15 minutes and the statistics for people of all ages is close to a 1/3 of that rate; I wonder what the real rate for teenagers is.

#15 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think the hard part would be writing the obit for my children. Think of all the things you maybe might have meant to say to them but forgot about it? How much they mean to you, etc. That would be the moving part on my end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users