32 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

I realize Comcast for internet is a premium service with great speed and ping, but my mother in law just told me to check my speeds and Holy Cow!  We used to get 12 mbps. Then we tried the 20mbps, but decided we didn't want to pay the extra. I just ran a speed test and got 57mbps down, 5.8mbps up and a ping of 20ms.  Yeehaw! The future is now.

http://www.marketwat...exas-2014-08-01

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm getting 28.61 Mbps Down and 5.87 Mbps up.

It sounds like they have given you the BLAST to check out.

If you pay an extra $10.00 a month you could get the higher speed. I had it for awhile to check out

but I dropped it.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Well, no charges yet.... If the price goes up, I'll drop down to a snails pace 20 mbps. hehe.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#4 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

I was getting 28mbps and called and told them for the price I was paying I wanted faster speeds.

For about 5 dollars more I am now getting on average 54mbps and they gave me a free cable tv box - I only get basic channels but what the heck that's nice and I'll take it, and I enjoy the faster net speeds!

Svzr2FS.jpg

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

I just received an email from Comcast saying they have increased the internet speed to 2X faster. Should be

up around 50 Mpbs and is now included in the XFINITY package.

I need to unplug the cable modem, then unplug my router and then turn the computer back on and it should work.

I will need to wait until tomorrow because I won't be able to turn the TV off tonight. Watch the A's.

Will let you know tomorrow.

Check it out.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Getting about 45MB dl speed now after the modem reboot, up from 28. Thanks Comcast!

#7 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

How much are you guys paying a month for Internet with comcast?

Svzr2FS.jpg

#8 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:35 AM

I went through the  process of unplugging my main Modem for 10 seconds, plugging it back in and waiting for

the TV to come back on.

• I then unplugged my router in the computer room for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.
  • I then turned the computer (IMAC) back on and then did a speed test.

I am now getting 58.08 Mbps download and 5.97 Mbps upload.

At no additional cost.

I will get back with cost later.

Cal

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

I'm going to have to reset my modem. For the past couple of weeks we have been experiencing horrible Internet speeds! I did a number of speed tests the other night and the range was from .2 - 8.1 down and 1.52 - 3.78 up! I was going to call them but think I'll try this first now.

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

How much are you guys paying a month for Internet with comcast?

The cost of the modem is $8.00 a month. Everything else is included in a bundle so it is hard to see what the cost

would be for just the cable, modem, internet (not including TV).

My bundle does cost me quite a bit with the TV, phone and internet services. We also have SHO which cost us a bit more.

#11 Doug Moore

Doug Moore

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

After re-booting my cable modem, I got the same awesome bump! Went from about 28Mbps download to 52Mbps. This is great since the bandwidth is shared across my household with about 10 devices. My ping and upload speed were unchanged.

BTW, we needed a new cable modem about five months back after the leased Comcast unit died. I found out that I could buy one for about $60 and get a fantastic modem, or get a new Comcast device and continue to pay $8/month for a lease. Nice way to save money!

#12 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Much better. Download speeds of 39.93 and uploads of 5.78. Still seems like it should be higher, but an improvement.

#13 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

After re-booting my cable modem, I got the same awesome bump! Went from about 28Mbps download to 52Mbps. This is great since the bandwidth is shared across my household with about 10 devices. My ping and upload speed were unchanged.

BTW, we needed a new cable modem about five months back after the leased Comcast unit died. I found out that I could buy one for about $60 and get a fantastic modem, or get a new Comcast device and continue to pay $8/month for a lease. Nice way to save money!

Doug, what Brand and Model did you get?  Where did you get it and how much?

Cal

#14 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

They told us they did but I don't think our prior use was hard enough on it that we noticed a difference.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#15 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Dang.  I am on the Blast 50 plan and got the same email.  Did the modem reboot (aftermarket SB6141) and the router reboot (Asus AC1760) and now my speeds are in the pooper.  Not sure what setting changed, but I'm lucky to get 5 down.  Up is a bit higher than that, in the neighborhood of 7-8.  Anyone really network oriented that can give me some suggestions?  Not too many great reviews on the router from what I can see, but it shouldn't be that bad. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users