51 replies to this topic

#31 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

Now that I've thought about this for a while, non of it makes any sense. If you approach an intersection with a red light, you are required to stop no matter what. If the crosswalk is occupied, then the pedestrian has the right of way, and you would wait. So placing a no right on red sign because of potential pedestrians in the crosswalk is redundant. The intersection will work fine without the no turn on red sign, even if all crosswalks are active at the same time. The sign should be removed! wacko.gif
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#32 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Silverado @ Sep 8 2008, 03:54 PM) View Post
Now that I've thought about this for a while, non of it makes any sense. If you approach an intersection with a red light, you are required to stop no matter what. If the crosswalk is occupied, then the pedestrian has the right of way, and you would wait. So placing a no right on red sign because of potential pedestrians in the crosswalk is redundant. The intersection will work fine without the no turn on red sign, even if all crosswalks are active at the same time. The sign should be removed! wacko.gif

There you go again. Trying to apply a logical argument to a government bureaucracy.
I would rather be Backpacking

#33 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

How about a giant no right turn arrow like the ones on Folsom? Turn it on when the walk signal is lit.

Not that anyone pays attention to those either rolleyes.gif
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#34 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(nlove4ever @ Sep 8 2008, 11:09 AM) View Post
I agree but needs to say on red still. It is a very dangerous intersection for the kids crossing but doesnt need to be enforced on the weekends or after school hours. I drop my Son of there every morning and I cringe when the lights turn green and the kids start crossing because of the idiots that are in such a rush to make a turn. Glad to hear that their lights now turn green to cross but the traffic light stays red.

That's the other problem. Both ped and traffic light turns green ath the same time!

#35 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 8 2008, 05:46 PM) View Post
That's the other problem. Both ped and traffic light turns green ath the same time!

Per Mark's description that shouldn't happen now. As the walk should be all directions walk which makes all traffic stop.
I did go thru that intersection tonight, but whenever I am there while on Grover, I'm always going left. But I did see the no right on red signs.

#36 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Sep 8 2008, 06:51 PM) View Post
Per Mark's description that shouldn't happen now. As the walk should be all directions walk which makes all traffic stop.
I did go thru that intersection tonight, but whenever I am there while on Grover, I'm always going left. But I did see the no right on red signs.

Not all crosswalks turn green. And when one does turn green, the traffic to go straight turns green also. Mark's description is incorrect as the signals are not working right.

#37 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 8 2008, 06:57 PM) View Post
Not all crosswalks turn green. And when one does turn green, the traffic to go straight turns green also. Mark's description is incorrect as the signals are not working right.

So I watched it today and yesterday when I dropped my Son off and what Mark said is true. All the lights turn red and then the crosswalks signal the kids to walk. The only issue is that the kids are so use to crossing when the actual stop light turns green that even when it is green most people cant turn right because the kids are crossing. My son was one of them this morning. I guess I will have to have a talk with him on how the new lights work.

#38 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(nlove4ever @ Sep 11 2008, 11:06 AM) View Post
So I watched it today and yesterday when I dropped my Son off and what Mark said is true. All the lights turn red and then the crosswalks signal the kids to walk. The only issue is that the kids are so use to crossing when the actual stop light turns green that even when it is green most people cant turn right because the kids are crossing. My son was one of them this morning. I guess I will have to have a talk with him on how the new lights work.

What they really need is a pedestrian overpass. I'm surprised some kid hasn't got run over yet. One morning I saw some idiot on a crotch rocket bike nail it from the red light, lose control, and his bike flew off to the right side onto the grass just beyond where 10-15 kids were standing and waiting.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#39 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Silverado @ Sep 8 2008, 03:54 PM) View Post

Does anybody understand that the REAL ISSUE is that drivers do not yield to pedestrians? I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen drivers totally disregard pedestrians entering a crosswalk when the driver wants to turn. As with anything else, a few (or a lot in this case) bad apples spoil it for those of us who know and abide by the rules of the road.

#40 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Sep 11 2008, 11:11 AM) View Post
What they really need is a pedestrian overpass. I'm surprised some kid hasn't got run over yet. One morning I saw some idiot on a crotch rocket bike nail it from the red light, lose control, and his bike flew off to the right side onto the grass just beyond where 10-15 kids were standing and waiting.

Don't cha just love it when some idiot tries to show off and it back fires into total embarrassment. Glad to hear the idiot didn't hit the kids.

#41 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

Hah, I saw that too! Scared the crap out of me cause I though it was going to take out a few kids.

#42 Mandi

Mandi

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:football, sports, art, motorsports, bmx, music, law enforcement, advertisement, ballet...other stuff

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I come from a little town in southern california, a lot like folsom. Its known for its wine and crazy teens. Temecula. I used to go to a high school there back in 05 and before i went there...and after...the intersection of the high school was horrid. The lights were timed even when kids were out of school. They'd switch timers randomly and it caused more accidents. to top it off there is a retirement home next tot he school, a gas station adn a lil shopping mart.
Well...to get to the point of my story...when i was attending high school, for 4 years there, (implying i didnt' change schools...) I can count 5 deaths of students. One was hit and killed by an elderly man who was driving and couldn't see. 2 were hit and killed by people turning on the green light which goes for turn and straight so they have to yield. And i believe the other two were just car crashed at the intersection because of the turning.
For years we have pleaded to get an over pass put in. We kept asking, how many more kids need to die?
I really hope this doesn't happen here. its 2008 and still not overpass and we had another kid get badly injured and a bad flipped car accident on that intersection in 2007.
I'm no parent. I'm only 20. But i was a student, as i'm sure we all were at some point. And those of you who are parents never want to get that phone call.
I don't knwo what we can do about any intersection, or light issues, other than just keep sending messages and emails. I'm sure some of them have to read whats on this site too.
As long as we keep voicing our opinions, going to those council meetings, being active outside of this website...i'm sure we can make a difference some how and hopefully not let what happend in my old town happen here in Folsom.
-=Accident Prone is an understatement=-

#43 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

The right hand turn signal light detector is still not working to turn right onto Iron Point Rd. from Grover Rd. When you pull up to the light, in the right hand side of the road, the light stays red, and it never turns green. The No Right Hand Turn On Red sign needs to be covered up if the traffic control light detector is not working. Or, the detector needs to be working.

Bottom line: the detector (or whatever that piece is called in the pavement that lets the light controller know there is a car siting idle at the light) is not working. It does not detect when there is a car sitting there to turn right. Will this problem be fixed at all?

#44 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

Sit a while, look around, and if it's not a problem, run it.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#45 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

I can't stress it enough - email Mark Rackovan... his addy is at the beginning of this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users