• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

My wife has a fairly new Buick Regal and it has so many gadgets on the dash it

is hard to find what I am looking for. I seldom drive her car, as I drive my old GMC

pickup, but when I do I am distracted trying to find what knob to turn, push, pull,

etc. So I agree with this article completely.

Hands-free devices can be more distracting than holding a phone, study says

Just because you can talk to your car doesn't mean you should. Two new studies have found that voice-activated smartphones and dashboard infotainment systems, though hands-free, may be more distracting than picking up your phone.

In-dash phone systems are overly complicated and prone to errors, the study by AAA and the University of Utah found, and the same is true of voice-activated functions for music and navigation.

And a companion study found that using Siri -- the voice control system on Apple phones -- while driving was dangerously distracting. Two participants in the study had virtual crashes in an automotive simulator while attempting to use Siri.

"We already know that drivers can miss stop signs, pedestrians and other cars while using voice technologies," said Bob Darbelnet of AAA. "We now understand that current shortcomings in products intended as safety features may unintentionally cause greater levels of cognitive distraction."

// see the rest below //

http://www.mercuryne...an?source=email

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:54 AM

Why not just program your route before you leave, get your radio on before you leave, and if you have to use a feature that is distracting, slow down, pull over and when ready to pay attention to the road, then get back on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users