21 replies to this topic

#1 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

The nation's 10 most polluted cities in terms of ozone.
City State Average ozone level (2005-2006)
Los Angeles CA 138.8
Bakersfield CA 110.5
Visalia-Porterville CA 101.2
Fresno-Madera CA 62.7
Houston TX 53.7
Sacramento CA 49.7
Dallas TX 38.8
Charlotte NC 37
Phoenix AZ 36.5
El Centro CA 32.8

Money magazine showed that Sacramento is a very polluted city-top 10....Now Forbes magazine is trying to tout it as one of the LEAST toxic...I THINK NOT....
What a bogus article and not true at all....Rancho Cordova is one of the top Superfund sites in America.....THe breast cancer rate in Sacramento is one of the highest in the world and same with lung cancer...OKAY, I think we need a new statistic that I might just think is more useful...WHICH STATE, CITY OR EVEN COUNTRY has the LEAST cancer per person....Wherever disease is, is where the pollution rates are highest.......Money magazine needs to have their writers scolded for this one!
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#2 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

asbestoshills, given your adversion to asbestos, pollution, and cancer... WHY DO YOU LIVE HERE?!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#3 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Great question!!!!!!!!! BTW, MYLO do you like asbestos and cancer?
OUR family lives here for employment for several more years....What's wrong with trying to improve where you live? You sound like a typical redneck...If you don't like it here, you can leave! Well, sister, that's not how it works......IMPROVING the environment so your children's children won't die of cancer should be a right and not a privilege in this country. How can you deny your own children a clean environment? Sad commentary on your part Mylo....It's sad that you think the status quo is the way to go!

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 5 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OUR family lives here for employment for several more years....What's wrong with trying to improve where you live? You sound like a typical redneck...If you don't like it here, you can leave! Well, sister, that's not how it works......IMPROVING the environment so your children's children won't die of cancer should be a right and not a privilege in this country. How can you deny your own children a clean environment? Sad commentary on your part Mylo....It's sad that you think the status quo is the way to go!

I'm curious about one thing.

Because asbestos is naturally occurring here, how do you propose to improve the environment? It already is a natural part of our environment.
I would rather be Backpacking

#5 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

You can enact laws that forbid construction without safety measures in place which is how EDH is suppose to be handling it.....For example, testing the air to ensure that children aren't playing on hot beds of asbestos etc....It's about prevention when it comes to asbestos....I'm not sure why your asking me how to prevent something natural, but I guarantee you wouldn't drink arsenic in the water even if it was natural....HELLO?
How would you feel if your child went through elementary to high school with high levels of asbestos and then when they were in their 20s contracted asbestos related lung disease? Would you be mad that the school didn't remove the asbestos or that the school built on a hot bed of asbestos?
As a city planner you can prevent building on any land that has asbestos until it's mitigated etc.......

#6 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

How is just griping about it making things better? The Superfund process has plenty of opportunities for public involvement, get involved if you are truly that concerned. I'm sure you are also aware that the Aerojet site (I am assuming you are talking about Aerojet) is being actively cleaned up right now.

You can't look at ozone statistics and make the connection that higher ozone means an area is more 'toxic' than another. Ozone is simply one component of air quality and is caused by hydrocarbon emissions from cars. Look at the other cities on the list - lots of heavy industry, petroleum refining, etc. which we simply do not have in the Sac region. You should actually be thankful that we live in a state with an active environmental protection agency, many states have much more limited oversight.

And you do realize that environmental pollution is only one variable in causing cancer, and actually plays a small role in comparison to other lifestyle factors?

What are your suggestions for improving things?
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#7 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 5 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure why your asking me how to prevent something natural, but I guarantee you wouldn't drink arsenic in the water even if it was natural....HELLO?

Hate to break it to you, but arsenic is in the water, and it is natural.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Like I said, I was curious about how you thought it shold be dealt with.

Do we bury every pretty green rock we see? or do we just tread lightly on it?
I would rather be Backpacking

#9 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (brown @ Nov 5 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hate to break it to you, but arsenic is in the water, and it is natural.

Tastes great! Less killing.

#10 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

What's your point? Do you want to drink arsenic or would you rather have laws that limit your exposure.....
They are only cleaning up Aerojet because they have to......Perhaps you can ask the cancer victims if they want it cleaned up. Drink Rancho's water for 20 years and see what happens to you. How many of you in this forum have been affected by cancer when it never ran in your family and you engaged in a healthy lifestyle?
While lifestyle plays a part in cancer deaths, it's the total effect of eating so much processed crap that has chemicals in it combined with other pollution...
SO for all of the people out there, don't you want to have strict pollution policies or do you want less? I don't get all of the negativity about wanting to lower the cancer rates in the USA. If you could do that, healthcare costs would be slashed....

#11 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

Your argument wasn't about lowering cancer rates. Don't try and change the subject. You argued that "Money magazine needs to have their writers scolded". I seriously doubt Money Magazine is heavily involved in cancer research.

Also, I think you meant Forbes magazine.

#12 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

So other than you constantly complaining here what are you doing outside of this forum to IMPROVE the environment and all these other issues you speak of?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#13 luvmycity

luvmycity

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 5 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's your point? Do you want to drink arsenic or would you rather have laws that limit your exposure.....
They are only cleaning up Aerojet because they have to......Perhaps you can ask the cancer victims if they want it cleaned up. Drink Rancho's water for 20 years and see what happens to you. How many of you in this forum have been affected by cancer when it never ran in your family and you engaged in a healthy lifestyle?
While lifestyle plays a part in cancer deaths, it's the total effect of eating so much processed crap that has chemicals in it combined with other pollution...
SO for all of the people out there, don't you want to have strict pollution policies or do you want less? I don't get all of the negativity about wanting to lower the cancer rates in the USA. If you could do that, healthcare costs would be slashed....

I work in the environmental regulatory/compliance field. I have worked in several states, and trust me, while many of us are not big fans of heavy bureaucracy, you should be damn glad you live in CA. Your comment that the only reason that Aerojet is cleaning up their site is that they have to makes about as much sense as saying "the only reason that I drive on the right side of the road is because I have to."

Your passion is compelling, but certainly comes across as whining. My guess is you're far less knowledgeable on this topic than you think.

#14 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 5 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Federal EPA, California EPA, Sacramento County of Environmental Managment.....CERCLA, RCRA, TSCA, CEQA....how much more oversight and how many more laws do you need?

#15 luvmycity

luvmycity

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (brown @ Nov 5 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Federal EPA, California EPA, Sacramento County of Environmental Managment.....CERCLA, RCRA, TSCA, CEQA....how much more oversight and how many more laws do you need?

Exactly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users