MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Dec 7 2008, 10:46 AM) View Post
Where is that at?

El Rey is next to Gold Miner, on East Bidwell. My husband enjoyed the Pozole with added pig foot.

#17 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:cooking, eating, restaurant touring

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Try Alejandro's at 1169 Riley St., by the Wendy's joint. Great food at very reasonable pricing. I mean a taco plate with rice and beans for $3.75? Also as stated Felipes is also very good. There is really no place in town that the whole Mexican food concept really locked in...

#18 laceykc

laceykc

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

I'll add my vote for La Fiesta Taqueria - yummy, fresh, fast, and a lively, happening atmosphere!

#19 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(carnivore @ Dec 7 2008, 11:03 AM) View Post
Try Alejandro's at 1169 Riley St., by the Wendy's joint. Great food at very reasonable pricing. I mean a taco plate with rice and beans for $3.75? Also as stated Felipes is also very good. There is really no place in town that the whole Mexican food concept really locked in...

Tacos, rice and beans for 3.75...wow how many tacos?

#20 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

My vote's for El Rey. IMO, they're the most authentic Mexican food in town

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#21 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

I would like to add a mention of a not so local Mexican restaurant.

Colina de Oro

They have 3 restaurants, one in EDH, one in Shingle Springs (the one I visit the most), and one in Diamond Springs. When I worked in EDH, then the EDH one was the one most frequented but now the SS one is only 3 miles down the road from my work.
I would rather be Backpacking

#22 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

Best view: Hacienda del Rio. Good Chimis.
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#23 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(jagayman @ Dec 7 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post
Best view: Hacienda del Rio. Good Chimis.

Agree on best view. I've never found their meals to be that great, but hanging out on the deck with friends, Margharita's and their Nachos is pretty darn good fun.
I would rather be Backpacking

#24 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

Haciendas food seems to have taken a bit of a dive lately. We found it to be fairly affordable and the food better than average. But the last few times we went we found the prices to have shot up and the food quality to have gone down. Seems like they also got some new, perhaps cheaper servers and maybe cooks.

Last time we went I ordered a crispy beef taco and the waitress asked what I meant by that...did 'crispy' mean they wanted me to cook it a little longer?

La Fiesta is very good, but unless i'm mistaken they dont offer any sort of combination plate, which I really enjoy. I sort of made my own by ordering a chili relleno plate and a separate pastor meat taco. The plate came with a bunch of extra tortillas and there was more than enough pastor meat to separate it into two tacos. I rolled up some of the beans to make a little bean burrito. Between all the extra beans, rice, guac, an array of items from the salsa bar and some of the wicked spicy pickled carrots and other veggies....I made a fairly filling combo platter.

Salsa bar, fresh chips and the pickled veggies are N/C for diners. A huge plus IMO. My 3 year old LOVES salsa and chips, so he practically made a meal out of that. Any way I can get veggies in him is good by me.

Sol Azteca used to be better. They're fair to middling now.

Never been to Qbole. My wife and I had the same comment...any place that advertises with a picture of a plate of something covered with shredded lettuce and cheese might not be that great.

I still have to try El Rey. I thought someone said it was up for sale a little while ago?

#25 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

I recall a thread that ran for a while with Mexican restaurants and found an interesting fact that Folsom has (or had at the time) 28 Mexican restaurants followed by pizza and burgers.

El Rey was very good and agree the most authentic.
Lolita's up in American River Canyon off of Oak Ave was good but havent made it there its the other side of the river (open the new bridge!....sorry tangent rant).
Pueblo Chico in EDH (ok not Folsom but..) is very good and improving having enjoyed the food on two occasions.
Aldabertos in Orangevale off of Greenback is good burrito\taco\enchilada spot but parking is a nightmare.
Sol Azteca Service at lunch can be slow and lacking initiative, but food has been good to very good.
La Fiesta, agree with others -- very good.

#26 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

We love La Fiesta, everything we've had has been good and always lots of food. The salsa bar is a big plus. Lively atmosphere, very nice people working there.

We like Sol Azteca but the service is spotty. We really like the rice, chili rellinos(sp) and encheladas. It is definetly aztec style, not tex mex at all. We get it to go more than eating in because of the poor service.

Haven't been to any of the others.

#27 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(eVader @ Dec 7 2008, 04:25 PM) View Post
ILolita's up in American River Canyon off of Oak Ave was good but havent made it there its the other side of the river (open the new bridge!....sorry tangent rant).
[

Being on the "other" side of the River. I vote for Lolitas. Good food, family owned and operated, and a nice setup.

#28 johncam

johncam

Netizen

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(bunny @ Dec 7 2008, 02:10 PM) View Post
Haciendas food seems to have taken a bit of a dive lately.

Lately??!?!

#29 Naga Jolokia

Naga Jolokia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Food, Food, Food.

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

I really like Shrimp Cocktail, Mexican style, at La Fiesta Taqueria.

Bon Appétit!

Palin 2012
Jindal 2012
God Bless America!

#30 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

LOLITA'S is good.

They should be busier after bridge opens .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users