9 replies to this topic

#1 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

All of a sudden there are lots of Bees in the yard. And they are going after the BBQ plates and me, not the fruit trees. Body spray insect repellent  or something to eat that chases them away? I get bit every year. 

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

are they honey bees or are they wasps or yellow jackets?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

uhmm, they are black and yellow and hover over you and intimidate the crud outta your food. When I was a kid we called meat bees.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

I found a homemade trap that seems to be popular. Cut open a one liter bottle put sugar water in bottom of it, invert another bottle and tape over first bottle. string up tree on edge of yard away playing kids because it will attract the wasp nest to it. Make sure rime the edges of the bottle with something slippery like cooking oil so they fall into bottle once they land to investigate odor.

My kid shouldnt be too hard pressed to drink a couple liters of soda to care for the safety and well-being of mom.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Or get a trap and hang it up somewhere not too close to where you eat. You will get a lot that way, but not all. Then set it early next year,in spring, so you can get the queen and eliminate the nests next year.

#6 Gern Blansdon

Gern Blansdon

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

http://en.wikipedia....i/Yellow_jacket

Wasps they are.  All over the place this time of year.  Get yourself a trap and hang it in the yard.  I've caught dozens in just a week and it has helped.  If you haven't been stung, your lucky.  Very painful.

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I used to have this problem, but after using traps for about three years, I have only seen about three this year and its all been in the past week.  Buy one of those yellow traps and hang in a tree.  if the pheramone weakens after a while, put something stinky in there, like a little bit of pet food.

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Or get a trap and hang it up somewhere not too close to where you eat. You will get a lot that way, but not all. Then set it early next year,in spring, so you can get the queen and eliminate the nests next year.

I saw a site where they said the same thing about getting rid of the queens in the spring will keep the population down.   It also showed a homemade trap made out of lunch meat on a skewer laid over a bowl of water with vegetable oil in it.  I guess the "meat bees/yellow jackets" come for a meal and then drown when they go to drink the water.

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I saw a site where they said the same thing about getting rid of the queens in the spring will keep the population down.   It also showed a homemade trap made out of lunch meat on a skewer laid over a bowl of water with vegetable oil in it.  I guess the "meat bees/yellow jackets" come for a meal and then drown when they go to drink the water.

some traps are mechanical, meaning they can crawl in, but they cant crawl out.  the others have something that usually attracts them into an area where they have to take off over water.  if there is something in the water that breaks the surface tension (like a drop or two of liquid detergent), then the yellow jackets can't take off without losing a little elevation and they go into the water and drown.

#10 marionlowe

marionlowe

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:43 AM

Call an exterminator for pest control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users