14 replies to this topic

#1 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

Anybody else got this? I feel fine, can work out, etc but every now and then during the day the back of my throat feels weird and then this violent cough just appears for a few minutes and I hack up a bunch of chowder. It doesn't seem to want to go away!

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Jan 8 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody else got this? I feel fine, can work out, etc but every now and then during the day the back of my throat feels weird and then this violent cough just appears for a few minutes and I hack up a bunch of chowder. It doesn't seem to want to go away!

2 winters ago i had something similar. I had suffered a cold, but after the cold was gone, I was continuing to hack up Phlegm on a daily basis, usually in the shower in the morning and then a couple of times during the day. it took 2 to 3 months to go away. but other than that hacking, I felt fine.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 Thunder

Thunder

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

I have some Halls cough drops handy everywhere I go lately. Very annoying cough for the last month or 2. Not sick, feel fine otherwise. Wonder what I need to do to get rid of it.

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

I've had something similar for weeks, then all of a sudden it caught up with me and I've been out for 2 days.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

Trying to not be too graphic, but if your chowder (that's a new one!) is green, you may have a bronchial infection or walking pneumonia. If it isn't going away on its own you may need an antibiotic. Have you been seen by a doctor yet?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Resume Lady @ Jan 8 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trying to not be too graphic, but if your chowder (that's a new one!) is green, you may have a bronchial infection or walking pneumonia. If it isn't going away on its own you may need an antibiotic. Have you been seen by a doctor yet?

No Dr. yet. I only go if I really, really need to. This affliction is just a slight bother and I'm not one to go to the Dr for something like this. I'll just let my body heal itself.

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Jan 8 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No Dr. yet. I only go if I really, really need to. This affliction is just a slight bother and I'm not one to go to the Dr for something like this. I'll just let my body heal itself.

I understand; I'm the same way. Just watch the color of the sputum... If it indicates infection and it isn't going away on its own, you may have to be treated. A friend of mine kept putting off being seen and she had pneumonia. You can also sometimes tell if you have an infection by your own voice... if it sounds like you're lacking enough lung volume to really project.

Take care.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hey, we have been trying to figure this out too.
My mom has been coughing for a year now
She did have an xray taken and they said they couldn't see anything, but she keeps coughing every single day on and off.
We haven't been able to find anything to help. Cough syrups, cough drops, etc, nothing is helping.
It's insane.

#9 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hey, I just read something on this coughing thing (looking for something to help my mom).

It looks like you might have whooping cough; they even call it 100 day cough.

Interesting.

#10 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (gm2005 @ Jan 8 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, I just read something on this coughing thing (looking for something to help my mom).

It looks like you might have whooping cough; they even call it 100 day cough.

Interesting.

Holy crap, I just made up that 100 day thing! I'll check it out, thanks!

#11 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Can't you just use the force?

#12 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Jan 8 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't you just use the force?

No matter how strong with the force am I, some things cannot be changed...

#13 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

I've had similar symptoms more than once in the past. It usually starts as a cold, but takes forever to go away.

One more thing to check... are you taking any blood pressure meds? They can cause similar symptoms.

#14 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

Probably something to do with the helmet, you should reconsider.
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#15 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

My kids have had such a thing at different times in the past. Diagnosed eventually as an asthmatic condition. Albuterol cleared it up in a week.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users