8 replies to this topic

#1 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

I'm sure many of us were horrified over the weekend by the story of the Union Mine football player who suffered a "high impact blow" to the head and is in critical condition with a brain bleed. At the same game, another student was rushed to the hospital with a lesser concussion, from which he is now recovering at home.

The story has now taken on a strange twist, with another student arrested-- apparently for supplying Adderall to the football players, which is thought to have contributed to the hospitalizations.

It goes without saying that our main emotion is sympathy and compassion for the injured students and their families. Still, I also find myself puzzled. Why would Adderall be given to football players? And what contribution, if any, would Adderall make to concussions? Anyone care to enlighten? The story is linked below:

http://fox40.com/201...otball-players/

#2 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

It goes without saying that our main emotion is sympathy and compassion for the injured students and their families. Still, I also find myself puzzled. Why would Adderall be given to football players? And what contribution, if any, would Adderall make to concussions? Anyone care to enlighten?

Hi bordercolliefan,

Full disclosures: 1) I did not read the article; 2) This is pure speculation on my part.

It is my understanding that Adderall acts as a stimulant/upper, similar to cocaine and methamphetamine, in those who do not have official ADD/ADHD. If that was the case with these players, I wonder if being on these stimulants could contribute to them "overzealously" ramming into each other, heightening their aggressiveness on the field, etc.???

Edited to say: For 15-20 years now it's been known to be abused for weight loss. Likely not the case here, but thought I'd mention it as something of which to be aware.

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

I suspect the two players were injured and required treatment. When they were asked if they were on any medication, they were probably smart enough to tell the docs. And then one of them probably told where they got it from. Hope they are all okay.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

Adderall is in the same drug classification as meth.  Just in smaller doses.  Of course doses can be altered/abused as appears to be the case here.

#5 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

I'm sure many of us were horrified over the weekend by the story of the Union Mine football player who suffered a "high impact blow" to the head and is in critical condition with a brain bleed. At the same game, another student was rushed to the hospital with a lesser concussion, from which he is now recovering at home.

The story has now taken on a strange twist, with another student arrested-- apparently for supplying Adderall to the football players, which is thought to have contributed to the hospitalizations.

It goes without saying that our main emotion is sympathy and compassion for the injured students and their families. Still, I also find myself puzzled. Why would Adderall be given to football players? And what contribution, if any, would Adderall make to concussions? Anyone care to enlighten? The story is linked below:

http://fox40.com/201...otball-players/

The initial reports made no mention of a "high impact blow" (this was reported in a statement from the family of one of the players).  Initial reports specifically stated that there was no sign of injury in either player, until after the game. 

To answer on Adderall, it is generally effective like cocaine or meth.  Users feel a rush of energy and euphoria.  It suppresses hunger and increases energy.  It was identified by the NFL years ago as a PED and banned soon after.  As it is commonly prescribed to kids with ADD or ADHD, it is readily available from classmates.  It has become commonly referred to by kids as a "smart pill" and is most commonly used at mid-term and final weeks on college campuses.  Kids are alert and can study for hours, often days, without food or sleep.

Along with the energy, the internal effects are increased heart rate and blood pressure, which commonly (without blows to the head) results in side effects of cardiac arrest, stroke and aneurysms.  You can start to connect the dots on how these could / would be confused as concussions from football.  Football in of itself is inherently dangerous.  Football on adderall is a recipe for disaster.

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

The initial reports made no mention of a "high impact blow" (this was reported in a statement from the family of one of the players).  Initial reports specifically stated that there was no sign of injury in either player, until after the game.

Yes, you are correct about that. I remember seeing the initial reports, where people were quoted as saying there were no obvious serious collisions during the game, and after the game the player told his coach he felt unwell. Soon thereafter, it was stated that he sustained a "high impact blow to the head." So I figured maybe the people quoted initially just hadn't been aware that the player(s) had been involved in a collision.

It sounds like you are raising the question of whether there really was a blow to the head, or if in fact it was a stroke or brain injury caused by Adderall.

Either way, it is a horrible situation.

#7 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Any news on the kid who had to have the emergency brain surgery....?    Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#8 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

There is a facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook...Brown?pnref=lhc

Apparently he is still in critical condition. The family is not releasing very much information.

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

I am sorry to hear about this and hope both young men have full recoveries.

Here is some information on the use of Adderall by athletes and the risks people take when the med isn't prescribed to them for attention deficit disorders. http://www.sbnation....sks-suspensions

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users