5 replies to this topic

#1 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

A week ago, June 27th, I was walking and passed by a house where there was a LOT of police activity. There were 4 or 5 Folsom police cars, at least half a dozen officers, along with a K9 unit and a person that had 'PAROLE' (IIRC) written on the back of their shirt. Strangely, there was also a person holding what appeared to be a stabilized video camera, standing around the area.

I waited quite a while before the online Folsom police log finally updated to show activity on the 27th, but to my surprise there was no mention of this incident. The only thing I can think of is that they were making some sort of training film, but it really didn't seem that way (i.e., the officers I saw looked pretty serious and intense). But why leave a serious incident out of the police log; that wouldn't make sense, either.

Thoughts?

#2 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

The law requires law enforcement agencies to provide information the public has the right to know and at the same time, to withhold information if the release would jeopardize an individual's right to privacy.
Certain records or portions of records are subject to privacy laws and/or other exemptions and are rarely ever available for viewing. All agency records not exempted by law are otherwise available.

#3 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

So, IOW, there may have been something in this particular incident that could not be disclosed to the public for some reason. That certainly might be the case. But the police log is filled with information that violates the right to privacy of those arrested. For example, from yesterday's log:

Lucas Gardner, 31, of Sacramento was contacted at the location. Arrested for 1203.2 PC. Booked at
Sacramento County Jail.

and

Mason Johnson, 18, of Roseville and Austin Ghent, 19, of Rocklin were contacted during a traffic stop. Johnson issued a citation for 12677 HS. Ghent issued a citation for 452(D) PC.

I can understand if it involved juveniles, for example, that they would not be able to release such information. But then they could simply say something like '2 juvenile suspects ...'. 

#4 Oso

Oso

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

I had the same issue a few weeks ago.

One night, my wife and I heard some unusual activity outside so we went to check it out. There were two Folsom police vehicles parked directly in front of our house. One of the cars was parked at a 45 degree angle and had crossed *over* the sidewalk so that it's front right tire was touching our lawn. The other vehicle was parked normally. I started to take a few pictures when two officers came up from behind me. One was rather upset that I was taking pictures of their vehicles. The officers seemed to be coming from a house a couple of doors down from me. The next day, my neighbors asked me if I had a fight with my wife the night before. That is when I realized that all of the other neighbors peeking through their front windows must now also think that there was some sort of incident at my house serious enough for two police cars and for one of the cars to drive across the sidewalk. Not exactly what I want my neighbors to think of my wife and me.

I checked the police logs for the next several days until that date came up and then a few days afterwards. To my surprise, the incident never appeared on the log. Now with your post I know that they must routinely exclude incidents from the log.

#5 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

Maybe they were calls that turned out to be nothing. Do all of those get listed in the log?

#6 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Maybe they were calls that turned out to be nothing. Do all of those get listed in the log?

You're right, if they turned out to be nothing, that would explain why they weren't logged. Both incidents seem a bit overkill for 'nothing' to be an outcome (particularly "mine", with 4 or 5 police cars, > 6 officers, a K9 unit, and a Parole officer), but it certainly is a possibility. The logs include items other than arrests or citations (e.g., "Unknown suspect(s) threw eggs at building"), so it's difficult to think of a situation that created that kind of response yet didn't warrant an entry in the log. Yet that might be the best explanation we get.

My wife tried to speak with someone in the Police department last week to satisfy her curiosity, but the phone menu didn't seem to include an obvious path. She left a message for some officer, but has yet to get a reply.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users