36 replies to this topic

#1 tonysoliver

tonysoliver

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:38 AM

Hello, I was wondering if other forum participants could post some of their experience with home alarm systems/services....I'd like to know any comments/recommendations on good companies.

Thanks,
Tony

#2 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(tonysoliver @ Dec 28 2004, 10:38 AM)
Hello, I was wondering if other forum participants could post some of their experience with home alarm systems/services....I'd like to know any comments/recommendations on good companies.

Thanks,
Tony

View Post

I'd suggest that the alarm bell be installed INSIDE the residence. Any burglar will be scared away the same as if it's on the outside, and you avoid problems with the neighbors and the City if you have false alarms.

#3 helex

helex

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(tonysoliver @ Dec 28 2004, 10:38 AM) View Post

Thanks,
Tony

I would recommend protectron. It is the more experience business in Canada and I use to have a lot of problems with “other big security business”. Since Protectron, no problemo! Still, whatever security company you choose, you have to test it first. Even if it’s cost you some money, the alarm siren is not enough to prevent a robbery. You have to be sure that the system is connected to the alarm central. So start the alarm and wait...that all.

Helex

#4 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

the easiest way to defeat a monitored alarm is to cut the phone line. all that's needed to do that is open the phone box on the outside of the home and cut the wires. no alarm company will be called.

alarm systems provide more peace of mind. personally, get a great system installed in your home that emits incredible decibels, so high that you have to leave the home. this is your best bet imo.

oh, and hire glock or smith & wesson. i hear they're both pretty reliable.

#5 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

RPS

Rottweiler Protection Services

Posted Image

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Agent_007 @ Feb 15 2008, 02:11 PM) View Post
the easiest way to defeat a monitored alarm is to cut the phone line. all that's needed to do that is open the phone box on the outside of the home and cut the wires. no alarm company will be called.

Wrongo, my phone access is also alarmed. As soon as that door starts to open, a loud bell is going off (regardless if I set the alarm inside the house or not) and the call is being made immediately. Just ask the telephone man that came out to install DSL at Hewlett-Packards request without informing us first as to what date they would be there. Since then, we've added a sticker to inform the phone & cable company the box is alarmed. I don't think you can even get the screw all the way out before the alarm is going off. The burglar is going to be starteled imediately and won't be able to cut the wires before my monitoring agency has the info. The Pac Bell guy had to talk to the police cruiser that showed up and had to wait for my arrival so I could tell the alarm company to disable all alarms until I called them back.

If interested, call Smith & Sons, they are the ones that installed my system. The bell box is also alarmed so it can't be tampered with. I've added a heat sensor to detect garage fires and a special smoke detector in the house is also tied into the alarm system. both of these units are also programmed into the system to be instant alarms regardless of whether I've set the intruder alarms or not. If a garage fire starts in my house, I will be awakened by the screeching inside siren while the fire department is already being notified and my poor neighbors will likely be awakened by the bell ringing on the outside of my house making it very obvious to the fireman which house is the one without having to look at the little lighted numbers.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Feb 15 2008, 03:03 PM) View Post
RPS

Rottweiler Protection Services

Dogs make awesome deterrents as well, but typically aren't as much help when fires happen.

#8 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 15 2008, 03:14 PM) View Post
Wrongo, my phone access is also alarmed. As soon as that door starts to open, a loud bell is going off (regardless if I set the alarm inside the house or not) and the call is being made immediately. Just ask the telephone man that came out to install DSL at Hewlett-Packards request without informing us first as to what date they would be there. Since then, we've added a sticker to inform the phone & cable company the box is alarmed. I don't think you can even get the screw all the way out before the alarm is going off. The burglar is going to be starteled imediately and won't be able to cut the wires before my monitoring agency has the info. The Pac Bell guy had to talk to the police cruiser that showed up and had to wait for my arrival so I could tell the alarm company to disable all alarms until I called them back.

If interested, call Smith & Sons, they are the ones that installed my system. The bell box is also alarmed so it can't be tampered with. I've added a heat sensor to detect garage fires and a special smoke detector in the house is also tied into the alarm system. both of these units are also programmed into the system to be instant alarms regardless of whether I've set the intruder alarms or not. If a garage fire starts in my house, I will be awakened by the screeching inside siren while the fire department is already being notified and my poor neighbors will likely be awakened by the bell ringing on the outside of my house making it very obvious to the fireman which house is the one without having to look at the little lighted numbers.

your alarm is not the norm. most people buy ADT's special of the month which does not include your features. you have a real system.

Smith & Sons is a very reliable and trusted company. possibly one of the best if not the best in our region for quality systems and installs. they did all the wiring in my home as well.

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Agent_007 @ Feb 15 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post
your alarm is not the norm. most people buy ADT's special of the month which does not include your features. you have a real system.

Smith & Sons is a very reliable and trusted company. possibly one of the best if not the best in our region for quality systems and installs. they did all the wiring in my home as well.

Thanks for the response, I didn't realize ADT didn't compare. I also can rely on Smith & Wesson if need be.

#10 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:52 AM

since you live in a gated community with 24hr security patrol, how about supplementing that with a couple of fake security cameras that look so real with led laser motion detector already installed in them. You can also buy and install 3-5 SOLAR or battery operated motion detector lights around the property. So now you have a GREAT deterrent.

Why spend $$$ monthly on security systems??? Save that and go to vacation somewhere.

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(palango @ Feb 16 2008, 07:52 AM) View Post
since you live in a gated community with 24hr security patrol, how about supplementing that with a couple of fake security cameras that look so real with led laser motion detector already installed in them. You can also buy and install 3-5 SOLAR or battery operated motion detector lights around the property. So now you have a GREAT deterrent.

Why spend $$$ monthly on security systems??? Save that and go to vacation somewhere.

Dear Palango,

Who is the "you" that you are referring to above. It can't be me as I don't live in a gated community. And monthly monitoring only runs me ~$280 a year, so a tad over $23/month.

#12 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 16 2008, 09:20 AM) View Post
Dear Palango,

Who is the "you" that you are referring to above. It can't be me as I don't live in a gated community. And monthly monitoring only runs me ~$280 a year, so a tad over $23/month.

I was referring to the Parkway/Empire Ranch folk that have the gated community AND 24 hour Patrol AND they still want to pay $ per month for security. My bad. I was not referring to you, but I was making a point about how anyone can t rick the burglar.

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE(palango @ Feb 16 2008, 09:27 AM) View Post
I was referring to the Parkway/Empire Ranch folk that have the gated community AND 24 hour Patrol AND they still want to pay $ per month for security. My bad. I was not referring to you, but I was making a point about how anyone can t rick the burglar.

Hmm, are you psychic? or do you personally know some of the above posters?
I can't find anything other than the one specifying Natoma Station (on the left under their avatar) that would lead me to believe where anyone here actually lives.

#14 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(tonysoliver @ Dec 28 2004, 11:38 AM) View Post

Thanks,
Tony

I've lived in FOlsom for about 10 years. When we first moved in we had an alarm. For the life me of I can't think why anyone would want an alarm now. I never even lock my doors. Remember, you're in Folsom!

-Robert

#15 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 10 2008, 02:54 PM) View Post
I've lived in FOlsom for about 10 years. When we first moved in we had an alarm. For the life me of I can't think why anyone would want an alarm now. I never even lock my doors. Remember, you're in Folsom!

-Robert

My friend out in the sticks of Swansboro country thought the same thing until he got robbed.

I've been robbed here in Folsom.

If you don't lock your dorrs, care to disclose your home address, that way if I'm in your neighborhood late at night and need a quick snack, I can raid your fridge for a quick bite. I'm an honest person, so I'll leave a few bucks for the bread & lunchmeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users